looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

As per previous threads.

You NEED a Certificate of Residence  (from Immigration) as you HAVE to have a verifiable address. "Mom's house" doesn't count unless you are officially registered in the house book (and reported). "Renting a spare room in Bill's house" also doesn't count unless, again, you have been properly registered in the house book (and reported). Hotel rooms don't count either.

As well, you HAVE to make sure you are NOT asking for a "chequing" account or a credit card. Despite the amounts I had in my bank and the regular deposits, they would NOT give me a chequing account unless I has a business visa and work permit. They also would not give me internet banking until I had a "1 year visa" and even then, I can't do wire transfers through that system unless I have a work permit and tax receipts showing where the money (in my account) came from. (Money laundering legislation probably.)

Get a verifiable address.

Get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

Go to a (large) bank, not a shopping mall kiosk or exchange booth  (Bangkok Bank is normally pretty good but you should go to a larger branch. You can transfer your accounts to a different branch later if need be.)
Tell them you would like to open a SAVINGS account. (Regular or Fixed Term.) PERIOD. 

Bring your passport. They will (normally) photocopy your face page and visa page info and make you sign the copies.

Ask for Internet banking AFTER the account is set up. They may offer it right away when they see the marriage visa or they may need a subtle hint. Again, you can't do wire transfers but you can pay bills, top up phones, make transfers (domestic only) and keep an eye on your balance.

(If you are trying to open a joint account then I'd assume the wife would also have to be present and have her ID card as well. Hopefully I never have to have that experience myself !)

I've opened numerous accounts over the years, mostly at Bangkok Bank with ZERO problems. I've also opened accounts at other banks like Siam Commercial without problem. That was mostly back in the days when I only had 30 Day stamps as I was too young and handsome to qualify for the old fart visa.

Dear old (long departed) dad was turned down initially as he was (originally) here on a 30 Day stamp and only had a week left on it. When he came back a few weeks later with a shiny new O(A), they opened an account for him in a heartbeat. (Bangkok Bank again.)

Sometimes it is a case of just sitting infront of the bank service staff and not moving until they contact the head office to get the OK to open a bank account but you must have your passport, confirmation of your addressing and your wife with you but she must also be prepared to sit it out with you

I have had to do this the last 3 times that I have opened a bank account (changed  banks because of moving)

29 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

You NEED a Certificate of Residence

I've never heard that a bank wants a certificate of residence

29 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I've opened numerous accounts over the years, mostly at Bangkok Bank with ZERO problems.

As others mentioned before, and as i personally saw in the other thread, how somebody opened a bank a few years ago does not really help, because they keep changing the rules.

If somebody opened a bank account last month and can name the exact branch, his Visa, and the exact documents that he presented, that's helpful, everything else not so much. (It would also be good to know the name of the clerk who opened the account, but who remembers this...)

8 minutes ago, offset said:

and your wife with you

Actually i think taking your wife or GF with you usually doesn't help and is often counterproductive (depends of course on the character of the wife/GF, but with the average Thai woman it definitely is like this)

Edited by jackdd

19 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

bangkok bank silom branch will open accounts

if you have a letter from the embassy confirming

your passport.

i found that they will accept some other document

with an embassy stamp and your passport number. 

maybe you have your affidavit of freedom to marry

or similar.

Bangkok Bank will do it with one of these 3 documents.   

1) Work permit

2) Letter of affirmation from your embassy stating your passport is yours etc
3) Sales Purchase Agreement to buy a condo in Bangkok.

I was in the Bangkok Bank at Emporium last week getting an account.

They just make up the rules on the spot.

Rule nr 1: It is easier to say "cannot" than to actually do some work.

Happened to me.

Finally - at the same shopping centre bank - I opened an account without any formalities at all.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit near Soi 8. They get a lot of foreigners in there as it is close to Soi Nana.

kassikorn main branch as well between soi 1 and 3. when people visit me in the area and ask i send them there, never failed yet

Bangkok bank emporium im told as well.

58 minutes ago, offset said:

Sometimes it is a case of just sitting infront of the bank service staff and not moving until they contact the head office to get the OK to open a bank account but you must have your passport, confirmation of your addressing and your wife with you but she must also be prepared to sit it out with you

I have had to do this the last 3 times that I have opened a bank account (changed  banks because of moving)

so the unmarried cannot get bank accounts?

i have never, nor would ever bring a wife or significant other along on a financial errand or similar unless i required them specifically as a signatory. 

even in the other world my finances are my own.

I see foreigner in thailand who depends on a spouse or partner to help them cope with the simple task of adulting weak.

same goes for people who cant seem to manage to register cars motorcycles or accommodation on their own.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

I have a non O extension of stay (retirement) not married and living at TGF home. I applied for a second Kasikorn Bank account as my existing account was on the other side of Bangkok. Produced pp and Kbank account book and was refused as I did not have a work permit. Asked the staff member to telephone head office,which she did,I confirmed with head office that I had a "retirement" visa,HO then instructed the staff member to process a new account for me. This was done at a branch office 6 months ago.

Just now, ujayujay said:

You can't open an account in small branches. Go to main branches of almost every bank, they will give you and support you for belongings you need.

You can say where from personal contact? No. Such nonsense and false information.

OP if none of the above-mentioned suggestions work there is an alternative approach although it may take you a bit of imagination and thinking. If a rich Thai person (somebody like a preferred customer of that bank) introduces you to the manager and makes a request that the bank open account for you I have found from personal experience its very difficult for them to say no and in fact you get VIP treatment.

I already had one bank account in another bank and I didn't really need another account but I wanted to rent a safety deposit box which only seemed available with one of the other major banks and my landlord was using that particular bank to fund a major property development. He made one phone call to the manager and from then on I received unbelievable service and attention:laugh:

If you can think of just one person who maybe willing to do something like this on your behalf your problems would be over.

21 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

bangkok bank silom branch will open accounts

if you have a letter from the embassy confirming

your passport.

i found that they will accept some other document

with an embassy stamp and your passport number. 

maybe you have your affidavit of freedom to marry

or similar.

and it will sure cost you if it is the British Embassy.:angry:

Edited by possum1931

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Which branch and who was the contact?

Nah, this was in Roi Et and never took a name of the person. Didn´t think that was important. Have 2 opened accounts in Bkk too.
One in Bangkok Bank and another in Krung Thai Bank. Never been any problem, but that´s just me.

I can recommend Kasikorn , branch in SIlom , they are used to foreigners.

Problem with branches in other parts of the city is the staff are not trained to talk to foreigners. So they will just make up an excuse to get you out of the door. 

If you visit their website in English , you can clearly read foreigners CAN open accounts , without work permit. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RailroadTycoon said:

thanks all tomorrow i go inside bangkok. i wii report back.

We tried about 10 different banks/branches. This was 8 months ago. Everybody wanted a work permit. In the end we ended up with UOB with the help of a contact with UOB Singapore. Depending on your nationality the embassy won't issue residence verification. Good luck with account shopping.

15 hours ago, nkg said:

Kasikorn are generally held to be the easiest for getting a Thai bank account. I got an account there with a tourist visa in my passport, all done in 10 minutes.

Banks have been given strict orders not to open accounts on tourist visas. Just non-o or non-b. You were dead lucky to open account I'd say.

i wanted to check this out myself as i haven't had to open account for many years but know a couple of guys that did in asok just a few weeks ago. so as i walked past to i just quickly popped in to ask. 

i went to the kbank between Saladaeng BTS and the MRT. I said I just wanted to ask for a foreign friend what he needs to open an account. she said has to have work permit, the usual. I said no he doesn't need work permit as he doesn't work here, can he open with rental agreement and passport, i said he has a Non O visa and she said no can do. she said can do without work permit if you own or are buying a condo. 

I could see she was busy so may well have been a fob off.

Next one Bangkok Bank on the Ground Floor of Abdulrahim Place. The guy there said you can do just need your passport and proof of residency from your embassy. Don't need work permit or to own condo.

Those were both this afternoon and just popped in as was going past them anyway.

Both completely different answers

TiT

• Like 1

Any time I have been refused to open a bank account it was because of no work permit. While in the bank- I dial the head office and always are informed no work permit needed- I hand my mobile to the bank clerk and the head office tells them to make it happen.

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Any time I have been refused to open a bank account it was because of no work permit. While in the bank- I dial the head office and always are informed no work permit needed- I hand my mobile to the bank clerk and the head office tells them to make it happen.

Good for you sounds like you really know what you are doing.

So, Wow you have many accounts?

What branch and who did you speak too??

Edited by bkk6060

BKK6060. Worst case scenario. Go to Wireless road **to get passport certified from the embassy there(assuming your british). After take a cab or walk to Abdulrahim Place. It's just round the corner and go to the Bangkok Bank on the ground floor. They will do it there. Confirmed today

As you go in the bank, quite a big bloke greets everyone, been there years, i used to work in the building, and he'll be the guy that points you in the right direction. he's there everyday

**sorry, he didn't ask for proof of residency as i typed it was the passport he wanted certifying

Edited by Happy enough

6 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

BKK6060. Worst case scenario. Go to Wireless road to get proof of residency from the embassy there(assuming your british). After take a cab or walk to Abdulrahim Place. It's just round the corner and go to the Bangkok Bank on the ground floor. They will do it there. Confirmed today

Great then for someone that needs an account, which I do not I have lived here for several years.

But, since you are sharing the information and you claim it is current, what is the name of the contact person there to assist others in opening an account?

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Great then for someone that needs an account, which I do not I have lived here for several years.

But, since you are sharing the information and you claim it is current, what is the name of the contact person there to assist others in opening an account?

go to the last post mate. i don;t go asking peoples names in banks here. the big bloke who'll come to see what it is you require. can't miss him

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

oh it was for the OP. it's just you seem to have such a keen interest in what everyone is saying that i thought you needed it. OP read the last posts, they should be of help to you. and stop asking the name of the contact. you're boring

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

oh it was for the OP. it's just you seem to have such a keen interest in what everyone is saying that i thought you needed it. OP read the last posts, they should be of help to you. and stop asking the name of the contact. you're boring

Because you have no name of contact as your information is flawed.

But keep telling everyone about all the accounts they can open should be interesting....