Prayut threatens to arrest mass of migrant workers

webfact

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

His government created this mess when they issue a royal decree to fine heavily on companies that have illegal workers in June last year. That caused an exodus of workers creating a massive problem for the economy. Then he use 44 to rescind the decree to allow registration. All this mess was the making by his government and related ministries. Down to poor leadership and management of the whole process. His ministries are badly unprepared. He is the maker of the mess. Time to go.

The problem started with past governments, not having a system for foreign workers to register all year round. The major issue is that there are certain time frames for worker registration, this cause the enormous back log, which was compounded by the problem of having so many illegal workers entering Thailand. 

The use of 44 to allow registration was needed to cut the backlog and make the illegals legals as Thailand is also facing a severe shortage of workers. Not only that, big companies were also flaunting the law by hiring illegals and not giving the benefits. Was there ever a Thai government that was well prepared? It has been one bad government after another.

• Like 1

sack the officials!

That would be the right thing to do instead idiot Prayut is going to punish the innocent immigrants. Well done in making a fool out of yourself again Prayut.

Stupid nationalism.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mike324 said:

The problem started with past governments, not having a system for foreign workers to register all year round. The major issue is that there are certain time frames for worker registration, this cause the enormous back log, which was compounded by the problem of having so many illegal workers entering Thailand. 

The use of 44 to allow registration was needed to cut the backlog and make the illegals legals as Thailand is also facing a severe shortage of workers. Not only that, big companies were also flaunting the law by hiring illegals and not giving the benefits. Was there ever a Thai government that was well prepared? It has been one bad government after another.

Mike you are absolutely right that successive governments have not taken action on illegal workers in the past. However I am saying that this junta has not understood the complexity of the task and have not make sufficient preparation before making those decree and rescinding later. It demonstrate poor leadership and incompetency of the PM and the ministries. I feel that he is so intoxicated with power which affects his decision making and judgement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

. . . not  good look from the leader of a country slamming his fist down . . .

Don't take the fist-slamming to heart. P1 will soon explain, like about his 'grumpy' press briefings during last year's floods, the 'fist thing was only an act, just for effect. Good, though . . . wonnit?' What a man!

Edited by Ossy
correction
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Exactly. These migrant workers are here because the lazy Thais wont work. There would be more than 800,000 Thais lying in Hammocks. I can count about 150 in my village alone. They always seem to have money to buy beer or whiskey. Must learn their secret where they get the money from because they dont work. 

Their secret is send the Women out to work in the fields and Markets to earn just enough to feed the family and supply beer and fag money. That's it, no special Masterplan !     Hundreds of them doing it in the Villages around our way.

3 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Exactly. These migrant workers are here because the lazy Thais wont work. There would be more than 800,000 Thais lying in Hammocks. I can count about 150 in my village alone. They always seem to have money to buy beer or whiskey. Must learn their secret where they get the money from because they dont work. 

Just had a report today from my contact living in a small village in the north east. Evidently the "government team"  are coming to the village today and the leaders are rounding up the locals for a meeting. I am trying to find out what all that is about. Could be the grand Thai Niyom scheme. Some of the 300 million free money being spread about. What's left of it anyway after the town leaders get their hands on it.

25 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Malaysia had the same problem and handled it much better, but what do the Malaysians know ?  They are not Thai!  The current government could not manage a sock drawer. 

K-card and no retina scanning. Online application also. Onus on companies to register; not workers. Here government is timid to punish big corporations adding to the inefficiency. 

• Like 2

He's now been at the helm in this country for five years and he still doesn't understand that ''Sluggish Management'' is 'Normal Management'' in La La Land.     Thai's have no concept of the true meaning of 'Management' as they believe that once you gain such title you become some kind of Demi-God that does no work and have people pandering to you... when they can be bothered to even be in their office.    Meanwhile; staff are petrified to do anything other then what they are 'told to do' and cannot make decisions about anything or use their own initiative, if indeed they have any anyway !

The country is a complete shambles and don't expect many changes for the better coming soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The first minister WAS sacked for making a complete balls of the task of registering immigrant workers. Now Prayut has the replacement minister in his sights for causing him further personal embarrassment.

Of course Prayut's solution is some wild-eyed fist banging and incomprehensible threats while completely forgetting it was him and his incompetent army generals who passed the new laws with the impossible timetable in the first place. Duh!

But Prayut is a master at playing the victim while blaming others for his own government's legislative failures.

These buffoons couldn't organise a picnic.

Have to agree! seems to think he's in the army or the like where people do what they are told regardless! Have to wonder where he is coming from? :smile:

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“The international community has more rules everyday. They are seeking measures that benefit their own groups and if we side with them too much, it won’t serve our purpose. Our work will be in trouble too,” he said.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement of maintaining the slave fishing industry....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

K-card and no retina scanning. Online application also. Onus on companies to register; not workers. Here government is timid to punish big corporations adding to the inefficiency. 

Oh,  so the current government puts the onus on the poor migrant who then has to beg his employer to do the right thing.  The employer then has no inducement to do anything, as there are no negative repercussions for him.   A rather inferior approach.  In Malaysia, it was all just handled with a minimum of fuss.  Thailand shows worship of power and money really does ruin a perfectly good country. 

• Like 2

Retinal scanning has rarely been implemented on a large scale, and equipment is expensive. I think the timescale for this program was ridiculously optimistic. I would have thought photocards and facial recognition (already heavily used in Thailand) would have been sufficient. There are also issues with cheap retinal scanning equipment .....