Death of Year 10 student in Buriram: song thaew driver, other motorcyclist deny negligence

webfact

Death of Year 10 student in Buriram: song thaew driver, other motorcyclist deny negligence

5pm.jpg

TNews reported on the story of the M3 (Year 10) high school student who was killed riding his motorcycle on the way to take exams in Buriram on Monday morning.

Plai Nuanprakhon, 63, the 6 wheel song thaew driver that crushed the boy to death has told police that he did not flee the accident.

He said he saw the accident but didn't believe it involved him. He had no idea that he had run over the boy and just drove on.

While Sutthichai Somjit, 23, who was riding the motorcycle that came out of the side soi suddenly, also denied negligence. He blamed the deceased student who got tangled in his handlebars and hit the tarmac. It was not his fault that he was crushed under the wheels of the song thaew, he has claimed.

The police have charged the motorcyclist with negligence all the same.

But they are still investigating the song thaew driver and no charges of negligence or fleeing the scene of an accident have yet been made.

CCTV will form an important part of the evidence. It clearly caught what happened and has been viewed across social media.

TNews reported that the boy's mother and father cradled his lifeless body on the tarmac following the accident.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-08

• Sad 4

The other motorbike rider at fault, clear as day.

One of my pet peeves when driving is the all too regular motorbike turn left without looking. 

What I noticed in the picture of the scene is that the joining road has a stop line for cars but the slip/motorbike lane just continues unabated onto the main road. They should change the lane markings to make it clear motorbikes need to stop and check as well. 

• Like 1

From seeing the film , there is No doubt the motorcyclist coming out of a side turning caused the accident .

I understand that many motorcyclists and car drivers think main road traffic has to give way to vehicles emerging  from a side turning .

The Songthaw driver must surely have felt an unusual bump in the road , but I would guess he would not have seen the man fall so close in front of him .

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, nev said:

I have given up a long time ago trying to understand the Thai mentality bon the roads here, They think they have the right of way and you are the one who has to give way to them instead of the other way round in our home countries.

For one example entering a roundabout rule is give way to the right but no here you go around the roundabout and they just pull straight out 

Yep - they treat them like junctions. Idiots . So <deleted> dangerous

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

You can see in the video that he doesn't look!!!  His head is at no point turned to the right, he doesn't slow down, he just rides straight out into the flow of traffic. Denied negligence?  This is manslaughter in my book. 

Right on,.... if he claims he wasn't negligent then he delibrately drove out from the side Soi with the intention of hitting the boy on the motorbike....he can take his pick?

The HARD SHOULDER divided from the highway is not technically a motorcycle lane < although used as such for safety .

The motorcyclist emerging from the side turning was clearly nod adhering to the hard should and drove straight out into the traffic without looking .

I frequently see motorcyclists do the same and car drivers .

1 minute ago, Toscano said:

The HARD SHOULDER divided from the highway is not technically a motorcycle lane < although used as such for safety .

The motorcyclist emerging from the side turning was clearly nod adhering to the hard should and drove straight out into the traffic without looking .

I frequently see motorcyclists do the same and car drivers .

I was under the impression that motorbikes are required to be inboard of that white line?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

The accident was caused by the idiot turning onto the main road, neither looking /slowing, just out, not even into the left, but straight out into the line of traffic.

The song thaew driver was not at fault over the accident, but was 100% at fault for not stopping.

The song thaew driver could at least have tried to brake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

I was under the impression they could ride wherever they like.

Well, this is true................. technically though, I do think that they are meant to be inside of the white line.

At the start of video the 1St bike that comes out of side road slows and is well inside bike lane.  If the other guy had slowed slightly he would of come on main road well inside white line then accident would never have happened hope he gets life in prison he deserves it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borzandy said:

The song thaew driver could at least have tried to brake.

The Songthaew was so close to where the young man fell that I do not believe he would have seen the accident ; he would likely have felt an unusual bump and may have heard the noise of motorcycles crashing .  Were there no people in the back of the songthaew ?