Virgin Active opens fitness club in Chiang Mai

webfact

Virgin Active opens fitness club in Chiang Mai

By The Nation

5ffbccf29244f1d24df99458b9821b52.jpeg

International health and fitness club operator Virgin Active Fitness Clubs, which has been operating in Thailand since 2014, will open a branch in Chiang Mai.

The company said in a press release that Virgin Active Chiang Mai would opens its doors on March 17, and it would “redefine the way of life for many of Chiang Mai’s residents as they begin working out in a premium and sophisticated fitness facility”.

It will feature 2,000 square metres of floorspace, with facilities including Virgin’s Mind & Body Studio, Ride Studio and High Energy Studio, where more than 200 exercise programmes and classes will be conducted each week.

“Located in the popular Lanna Futuristic-styled Central Festival Chiang Mai, Virgin Active Chiang Mai is Virgin Active’s first club to be opened outside of Bangkok and is also its only club in South East Asia to have a dedicated Boxing Studio,” the company said.

The club is Virgin Active’s seventh to be launched in Thailand.

“Expanding outside of Bangkok has always been a goal of ours,” said Christian Mason, managing director, South East Asia, Virgin Active. “People today are becoming savvier when it comes to health and fitness. They are looking for services, experiences and workouts that offer not just the best value for money, but also ‘speak’ to them.

“Yet these were sorely missing in Chiang Mai, home to some of the world’s best Muay Thai fighters. We saw this as an opportunity to enter the market, to deliver to the residents of Chiang Mai a workout venue that does not simply match what gyms in Bangkok can offer, but far exceeds peoples’ expectations of what a gym can and should be.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340902

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-14
  • Like 1

Looks great.  Best gym I went to was in Siem Reap.  It was B400 a month.  Fair number of machines, they all worked and you got a towel clean towel. Places where you have to sit down with a guy who is like used car salesman dampens the enthusiasm. 

• Like 2

"Only club in Southeast Asia to have a dedicated Boxing Studio"  Hmm?  Not that I'm exactly part of their target market, but I've noticed a nice boxing studio adjacent to the fitness center at Maya Mall, in view of those of us waiting to see a film at the Maya Mall SFX Cinema.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of pretentious Thais vying to get membership despite the cost. All about image for the Thais. They will just go to the gym, take selfies and post them on facebook.... :saai:

I would be wary of paying the annual membership. Plenty of fitness clubs have gone bust in Thailand. Casing point, the expensive one that used to be on the top floor in the airport plaza a few years ago, forgotten the name.

5 minutes ago, Loaded said:

You are right, but I already belong to a gym that costs as much as this. One of the benefits of paying a lot is that it keeps the riffraff out.

I hope that your circles are so high that never have meet your good self.

"Lanna Futuristic" - 555

On one hand, Virgin has the brand and corporate structure to *maybe* make a go of it.

On the other, Virgin's not a wildly popular brand here; 25k a year to work out in a shopping mall?; check back in 12 months.

I like a hardcore gym with lots of free weights and no bells-and-whistles (the new gym holds no appeal for me), and I don't need any external motivation to get myself in there- some people need the distraction of bright lights and pretty colors to lure them into the gym- whatever it takes to get you off the sofa is worth it, imho.

Checked this new Fitness Center last Saturday and came away very impressed.  Massive area divided into various sections for different types of exercises.  Obviously being new all the equipment was modern and in good supply.  The locker room and shower facilities were top notch, I was particularly impressed with the individual shower rooms, none of that bourgeois communal showering in this joint.  I asked about fees and they seemed reasonable to me.  They offer different paying options and lenght of membership.  I was not interested in the automatic deduction every two weeks from your account, if memory serves me well I believe it was 970 baht every two weeks.  23,280 baht was the promotion rate if you payed upfront for one year.  They open at 07:00 everyday and close at 22:00.  Were it not for the fact my Condo has an adaquate fitness room, pool and a nearby Fitness Park I would join this fitness club in a heartbeat.  Very impressive place.