Ministry reassures public that rabies situation ‘under control’ – as two more die from disease

webfact

Publically say the there is nothing to worry about and rabies is under control will now make the problem a lot worse.

This is because people will stop thinking about it... maybe not go and get treatment if bitten because they now believe its all OK.

They won't bother going to vaccinate their dogs, cats either now.

How stupid!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Yup! Everything under control

2 deaths last week, 2 deaths this week

Next they'll be saying apart from the deaths the disease has been totally eradicated 

It takes two months from when you get infected until you get sick and die, Maybe the situation is under control now, and the 2 deaths got infected two months ago?

• Haha 2

Neeray....

if one  understands Thai cukture, the answer is unlimited...

the point is clearly related to how  other ways people die here...

why would thailand have a quantifiable number for rabies when nothing else is?

it's a very silly question unless one views it a rhetorical question with sarcasm in mind....

all of a sudden there is going to be a quantitative analysis mindset when none existed yesterday....

it it belongs in the same category as discussing Thai medals at the winter olympics - irrelevant 

In Hua hin it is really out of control as wild dogs comb the beach day and night.  I dont understand why they let them run astray especially when they know they have a problem.

With all the tourists on the beach you think they would get rid of the stray dogs.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

It is obvious that the member means "how many deaths are acceptable", as it relates to the Ministry reassuring public that rabies situation is 'under control'.

This thread really doesn't have anything to do with road fatalities, drownings, malaria blah blah blah.

Rabies is the topic here.

Goodness me only 2 people died from Rabies last week.  At the same time 300 people died on the roads and about 1000 were badly injured...sorry for being flippant about people dying but only 2 is quite acceptable ...TIT

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

How many deaths are acceptable?

How many die from dengue fever and malaria..?

Mosquitoes are probably more dangerous than dogs, cats, monkeys, and bats. 

And doing something about traffic, might save more lives; however rabies vaccination and elimination is still a very good action. 

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

I’m going to make some thin metal shields under my pants and inside my socks to protect me against bites ?  

no hope for safety. I just need to get rabies in 21st century ? ????

We shall call you a knight in shining sweat.

• Like 1

2 deaths a week ? 17 in 2017 ?

That's the lowest number of all ! There are more people dying from flee-bites ,hangovers ,

swallowing toothpicks.......hit by faling coconuts......dirty beercans......

This thing was never out of control , in fact it is the safest thing in Thailand .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

How many die from dengue fever and malaria..?

Mosquitoes are probably more dangerous than dogs, cats, monkeys, and bats. 

And doing something about traffic, might save more lives; however rabies vaccination and elimination is still a very good action. 

Some figures by WHO about Malaria deaths world wide put the figures as about 3 million each year.  Thankfully Thailand is almost clear of this problem...A plus for Thailand.

2 hours ago, stevieboy2 said:

In Hua hin it is really out of control as wild dogs comb the beach day and night.  I dont understand why they let them run astray especially when they know they have a problem.

With all the tourists on the beach you think they would get rid of the stray dogs.

Monks don't kill anything, they run this show.

9 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Some figures by WHO about Malaria deaths world wide put the figures as about 3 million each year.  Thankfully Thailand is almost clear of this problem...A plus for Thailand.

It has been reliably suggested that major drug companies already have a solutions to combat malaria.  But the problem mostly only exists in 3rd world countries.  The major cost for manufacturing and distributing the treatment would be very costly, the drug companies would have very little chance of getting a return for their investment.  I suppose money talks...pity.

12 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

In this day and age, no one should die from rabies So sad

So true. I was playing with a puppy some years ago. Afterwards i felt stupid as it was a stray and it was licking me and i had small wounds/scratches from nature hiking. Im vaccinated ever since. 

Rabies is right up there in the league of nasties, along with Anthrax, 

People and Animals can  be infected for months with no obvious symptoms, and when the symptoms do appear, its already too late for the poor soul infected as the disease is nearly always fatal.

The way to control rabies is to tell people that any dog not in a yard or on a leash will be shot, and then do it. 

Follow up with free vaccinations for ALL dogs and free medical treatment for dog bites and monkey bites, problem solved 

• Like 1