Thanathorn faces 'death threats' over election run

webfact

Thanathorn faces 'death threats' over election run

By The Nation

959af012cf8a8b6ef44499f98cc7f287.jpeg

Future Forward Party founder Thanathorn Juangroonruangkit said at a forum on politics on Thursday that he has received death threats from several people.

Thanathorn gave no further details while he shared the stage at the Sutthichai Academy’s forum, which questioned what kind of future Thailand is facing. The forum was organised and hosted by acclaimed former editor and journalist Sutthichai Yoon, the founder of The Nation.

Thanathorn said he is not happy to be entering politics, and had already experienced a great deal of stress since his recent announcement. He said he felt it necessary to enter politics because there were no political parties that could represent his voice.

Thanathorn said the last time he voted for Pheu Thai, but today he no longer feels that Pheu Thai represented his voice. And if the Democrats could do it, he would not have entered politics, Thanathorn said.

“My life mission before I die is that I would like to see the 2014 coup be the last for our country. I am ready to go to jail, or even die,” said Thanathorn.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341554

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-23

Good on him for trying to change the status quo. 

And when the options are so dry, stale and similar, he stands a good chance of gettng a decent handful of seat...if..if he can come up with some sound policies and at the moment that is the void in his grand plan. 

So add some substance to the sound bites and spin and he will hopefully be on to something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

I think it is obvious to all of us that IF this guy is sincere - and it is a big IF - then he will be stopped, one way or the other. No way would the junta allow its 20-year plan to be derailed by such a pesky thing as a genuine democratic movement!

Well, if you're right let's hope he grabs a certain wrist on his 'down'...as evidence, if you see what I mean.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

I think it is obvious to all of us that IF this guy is sincere - and it is a big IF - then he will be stopped, one way or the other. No way would the junta allow its 20-year plan to be derailed by such a pesky thing as a genuine democratic movement!

Well said. If he is not sincere he will be quickly allied with and an agent for the PTB. Window dressing so to speak. 

On that note, what is his platform other than abolishing LM 112? 

Not facetious with my question. I genuinely do not know. Most of the reporting has been centred around fresh blood in the political ring and how it is upsetting the establishment. 

It is one thing to gain popular support and get elected and another to govern a nation and a corrupt bureaucracy. Unless of course, you stand to gain something. 

Edited by InfinityandBeyond
Amendment
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RobertH said:

I remain skeptical of billionaires leading political parties (Thaksin, Trump, Berlusconi, etc.). Especially one whose company fires workers who were trying to organize a labor union and forces others to work overtime.  "He said he felt it necessary to enter politics because there were no political parties that could represent his voice." Not the voices of workers or farmers or the middle class or common people. His voice. He was born into wealth. What does he really know about Joe Somchai? Talk is cheap. Let him get elected and show us what he can do - as a lawmaker or even perhaps a minister. I wouldn't hand him the top job until he's proven himself as a public servant. Going all in on this guy at this stage is foolish. 

Newbie says it all, Newbie.

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

This is precisely the reason I didn't understand why people were making fun of him for consulting his family before entering the fray, so to speak.

Any one in Thailand long enough knows that no one makes a big decision without checking with family. Unless of course all you do is sit at the bar and swill beer, not saying you are one of the beer swills

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, RobertH said:

I remain skeptical of billionaires leading political parties (Thaksin, Trump, Berlusconi, etc.). Especially one whose company fires workers who were trying to organize a labor union and forces others to work overtime.  "He said he felt it necessary to enter politics because there were no political parties that could represent his voice." Not the voices of workers or farmers or the middle class or common people. His voice. He was born into wealth. What does he really know about Joe Somchai? Talk is cheap. Let him get elected and show us what he can do - as a lawmaker or even perhaps a minister. I wouldn't hand him the top job until he's proven himself as a public servant. Going all in on this guy at this stage is foolish. 

Yeah the rich don't need it so what is the other motive,  I see another Thaksin,  policy on the run

You can put me in the: "ye of little faith" category.

I was once told, along time ago by a Thai, "thais dont do nothing for nothing".

And ime it has pretty much rung true. 

Add in the age old saying of "those who seek power are often the least best to have it"

as most here know there are extremely wealthy groups controlling the vast revenues and vast tracts of land that have entrenced processes of enriching themselves to the extreme.

this place is not the pleasant happy place its made out to be.