Temperatures In Thailand To Drop By 2-5 Degrees

Jai Dee

Temperatures in Thailand to drop by 2-5 degrees

The Meteorological Department has issued a public warning that a cold weather front is moving into the nation, with temperatures expected to drop by 2-5 degrees Celsius.

Meteorological Department officials cautioned local residents that a high pressure trough from China will be spreading over the nation from January 26-30.

The northern, northeastern, eastern, and central regions, including the Bangkok Metropolitan area and surrounding provinces are expected to experience lower temperatures by at least 2-5 degrees Celsius.

Officials report that waves in the Gulf of Thailand will also grow stronger and are expected to rise by at least 2-3 meters.

Meteorological Department officials added that the Andaman Ocean will also have waves of 2-3 meters high.

Fishermen are asked to exercise caution when operating marine vessels, while small boats are advised to stay in port for the duration.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 January 2007

Warning

No. 15 (33/2550) Time Issued : January 29, 2007

During 29-30 January 2007, an intense high pressure system will extend its ridge to cover Thailand and the Gulf. Cool to cold with 1-3 °C drop and windy are expected in upper Thailand. High waves in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea will be intensifying. Wave height 2-3 meters is likely in the Gulf while about 2 meters offshore in the Andaman Sea. Shipping should proceed with caution during this period.

Source: Thai Meteorological Department - 29 January 2007

I walked my young daughter to her school bus at 7 a.m. this morning and, after the bus left, I was glad to get back inside.

I drove my daughter to school on the motorbike this morning, jeans and coat but I still froze. My daughter refused to listen when I told her to where a coat so I think she was a bit more uncomfortable than me. Som nom nah, next time maybe she will listen. :o

Mercury further drops by 1 - 3 degrees

The Meteorological Department announced Monday that the mercury further dropped by one to three degrees nationwide, with lowest temperature on northern mountain tops being as low as one degree.

The lowest temperature in Bangkok Monday morning was 19 Celsius degrees.

The minimum temperature in the low-land of northern provinces was about 9 degrees.

The temperature in mountainous areas of northeastern provinces ranged from 10 to 14 degrees.

Source: The Nation - 29 January 2007

Cold weather continues in Thailand

The Meteorological Department said cold air mass from China is covering Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand, causing the temperature to drop by around two to three degrees Celsius.

The department stated that Thailand will continue to face chilly weather today (Feb 1). Meanwhile, the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea will experience strong winds and waves.

The waves are approximately two to three meters high, and seafarers are warned to be careful while sailing over the next few days.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2007

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Regional Center warns of possible disasters from cold weather

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Regional Center 5 in Nakhon Ratchasima province warns people to take heed of winter hazards and be more careful when driving in the morning due to thick fog.

Mr. Wittaya Wachira-angkura, the director of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Regional Center 5 in Nakhon Ratchasima, said the Meteorological Department has issued a warning of cooler weather in the northern, northeastern, eastern and central regions of Thailand between January 29th and February 2nd due to the cold air mass from China. As a result, the temperature will drop by two to five degrees Celsius, and strong winds and mists will be expected on the hilltops.

Mr. Wittaya would like people to take care of their health during the chilly weather, and farmers should warm up the areas where the animals are raised, especially the young ones because their immune systems may not be strong and they can be easily infected. Moreover, people need to beware of possible fire disasters and forest fires due to strong winds.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2007

Mercury further drops by 1 to 2 degrees

The Meteorological Department announced Friday that temperature would continue to drop by one to two Celsius degrees until at least Saturday.

The department issued a statement saying that a high pressure system from China had moved down to cover most parts of Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand, causing temperatures around the country to drop by one to 2 degrees.

It said the cold weather would remain in northern provinces for two to three days and in other regions for one to two days.

The high-pressure system also caused high waves, the statement said.

The department said minimum temperature on mountain tops in the North ranged from 1 to 4 degree.

In Bangkok, the lowest temperature Friday was 17 degree.

Source: The Nation - 2 February 2007