Bus safety measures beefed up in preparation for Songkran

webfact

Bus safety measures beefed up in preparation for Songkran

PNSOC610405001012801.jpg

BANGKOK, 6th April 2018 (NNT) - Security and administrative officials have beefed up safety and crime prevention measures for interprovincial and intra-city buses in preparation for the upcoming Songkran Festival. 

Bus service companies have brought their vehicles to the Department of Land Transport for safety inspections. Some of the buses are to share routes with the Transport Company's buses during the Songkran holiday. According to the vehicle inspection division, all buses must be fitted with the required safety equipment, including seat belts, emergency hammers, fire extinguishers and emergency exits. 

Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police (RTP) Pol. Gen. Chalermkiat Srivorakan on Thursday led the safety enhancement and crime prevention operations inspection of interprovincial buses, with the cooperation of drivers at the Northern Bus Terminal (Mo Chit 2). Police also carried out random baggage checks to deter the transportation of illegal items.

Pol. Gen. Chalermkiat also took the opportunity to introduce a mobile phone application called police I lert U, which enables people to send messages or photographs of the scene of emergencies directly to the police. 

Meantime, RTP spokesman Pol. Gen. Weerachai Songmetta has unveiled a Songkran road safety campaign. All police stations have been instructed to set up ad hoc rest areas and vehicle checkup units to ensure the safety of holidaymakers. Police are also joining rescue workers and the private sector in traffic flow facilitation.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-06

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The news are overflowing with the "beef up"/"get prepared" news.

And what will change?

Nothing, that's my bet.

Cynical:

the best prevention are crazy long jams/gridlocks.

Slow moving traffic, less severe accidents.

But heaven helps if there is a clear stretch of road.

Did you not see the picture above? He’s pointing. Thais only point in pictures when they’re being deadly serious. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Did you not see the picture above? He’s pointing. Thais only point in pictures when they’re being deadly serious. 

Nah, he can't be pointing surely? The RTP has only just said that pointing is not allowed any more.

According to their new guidelines, he should be showing a photograph where the offender/item is indicated by a red circle.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

More extreme BS, how many buses are there in Thailand, and they have all been inspected this week and the next couple of days - yeah right, in their warped dreams and imagination. 

Yup. and those police/army-men are all qualified mechanics...look at their dirty black hands/uniforms..they have just been crawling under the buses to check the brake-systems condition.:whistling:

• Haha 1

If you sit back and think about it for a few minutes you really come to appreciate what an absolute load of crap that goes on in Thailand when it comes to road users, vehicles and policing.

Sure every country has road deaths, major accidents , and law breakers, but most try and do something constructive about rectification and elimination of the problem, not always successful but better than the knee-jerk stupid and childish approach that is seen every day in Thailand.  

This particular posting is a classic example, thousands of buses in Thailand and bus safety measures will be implemented, actioned, and sorted within a few days of its announcement. 

The total amount of stupidity is mind-shattering and would require a page or two typing to list some of the rain-shattering announcements, and that's besides the daily on-going slaughter allowed to continue unabated with absolutely nothing done  - nothing.

Rant over - do I feel any better - no - just brain numb from trying to understand the lack of care displayed by the majority of people and more importantly the complete disregard from the government as to any rectification of the problems.     

Edited by Artisi
  • Thanks 1

Bus services brought there vehicle's to the department of land and transport. Did any actually pass inspection? Only a small percentage i would think. The rest defected you would hope but then there would not be enough buses to transport the people. Some of these buses are ready for the scrap yard. And to put all of these prevention methods in place, well time would dictate an impossibility. These old buses have suspenion problems diff problems, brakes that grind, steering issues, heavy pollution, black smoke that just about chokes you. Of course no seatbelts or any other safety measures.
Brake problems, and of course the people who attempt to drive these contraptions. So if just 1 of these buses went for an inspection there is no way it could be back on the road, in reality.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

My Thai wife have newer had her car or 6 wheeler through the yearly inspection...
Only the papers and a little money are needed....

Hence a major shortcoming in vehicle inspections, besides being against the law. 

Edited by Artisi

6 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

My Thai wife have newer had her car or 6 wheeler through the yearly inspection...
Only the papers and a little money are needed....

I trust you're proud of her ignorance (notwithstanding the questionability of the test itself).

Let's hope she's never on the same road as me.