French bread and Tescos finest.

The French cafe just down (100m, Seaward) from Max Murphys in Naton is worth a visit but I cannot recall if their bread is home made. If it isn't they'll know where to look :smile:

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Very close to the Lamai temple  is La Fabrique (Address: 105/1 Moo 6, Ban Lamai, Ko Samui 84310 Phone: +66 93 601 1770) offer a good selection of various cakes and breads though I prefer another bakery which is around 500m further away (same side of road) whose name escapes me. Has a blue and red flashing beacon outside. 

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

I bought Tesco Finest tea in Tesco-Lotus Bo Phut (Chaweng) a couple of times, but they are often out of some range of Tesco Finest products.

I regular pass a sign with "French Bakery" at the traffic light close to Tesco-Lotus, but never been there. Google Street View here.

:smile:

The bakery at the traffic lights makes fresh bread and very good sandwiches .. plus other patisserie 

7 hours ago, evadgib said:

The French cafe just down (100m, Seaward) from Max Murphys in Naton is worth a visit but I cannot recall if their bread is home made. If it isn't they'll know where to look :smile:

HTH

last time I went there was not so good .... I think others are better ... In Nathon .. there is a Thai cafe ..which has fresh bread made daily .. past Tesco about 50 metres on the right .

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks. Yes, I've also seen a sign there, but was not sure if still open – the Bread Factory in Bo Phut has closed.

Bread factory now opposite the fresh market the same area ... I heard they also own Bar Baguette in Bophut which does very good sandwiches and food .. check the chocolate mousse .

• Thanks 1

Re Tesco Finest 

products come and go .

Generally their cereals , jams , wines are in stock and good quality .. other items chocolate , frozen products and other items  .. come and go ..

I expect they have tesco brand teas in stock .. 

Everybody has different taste in bread, as is evident from the replies on this thread. As a former baker, I have my own taste (liking both whole grain and Italian style country bread) but for bread as they love in France, go to one of the French owned bakeries. Their fresh baguettes, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside are not the same as the much less hand made version at Tesco. La Fabrique has both the large bakery in Lamai by the temple and the smaller branch by the stop light in Chaweng (on the ring road, mentioned in this thread). The owner of La Fabrique is a great cake maker (and a big hearted human being) , you can either buy from fresh stock or order a cake in advance for your special events. In Lamai the Boulangerie, on the ring road on the other side of the bridge from the temple is also both good and authentic. 

Angela’s bakery has various kinds of breads and baked goods for those (particularly North Americans) who are not locked into the various kinds of European breads they may have had as children.

• Like 1

I live in Chonburi at present .... In Pattaya, Big C kept on the Carrefour French bakery, and still bake really good bread, the manager is French.

So I would pop in there every 2 weeks or so.

My experience with Tops and Tescos has been, to put it politely, mixed.

I am not averse to quality bread of UK or Germany, but my favourite is always French whether baguette or sour dough..boulangerie is fine but patisserie for me is just a bonus.e

I also like British tea.... not that insipid stuff masquerading under UK brand names, I like the stuff that is genuinely intended for consumption in the UK market.

I've found Waitrose in Tops and M&S own brand in Pattaya, both very expensive, but the Tesco's finest range, in particular Assam, Breakfast and Gold has great quality and taste but not that pricey. ... in fact it's what I'd buy in the UK.

Edited by Airbagwill

Tesco Lotus on the ring road has a small section specifically for their "Finest" range. It's way down past the tills, just before the alcohol section.

Was looking a bit bare though when I was there earlier this week. Probably waiting for a restock. No crisps. Or chips as our American friends call them. 

There were plenty of teas though.

9 hours ago, islandguy said:

In Lamai the Boulangerie, on the ring road on the other side of the bridge from the temple is also both good and authentic. 

That's the place whose name escaped me. They don't have a huge selection of breads but what they do have is all very well made. There is also an Italian bakery on the opposite side to La Fabrique who bake very good breads. 

The French cafe just down (100m, Seaward) from Max Murphys in Naton is worth a visit but I cannot recall if their bread is home made. If it isn't they'll know where to look [emoji2]
HTH
Fresh baguettes and croissants every morning, Philippe is a proper boulanger. But unfortunately in this climate baguettes never stay crispy for long.

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Birdman said:

best french bread, the name is Baguette, at Tops 

I'm not a fan of Tops baguettes.

As I said I'm a fan of boules or pain death champagne if I can find a quality loaf.

It seems to be a sign of good French bread that it really doesn't keep its best characteristics much longer than a day in this climate.

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Best bread on sumui is the Finn bread sold at Makro Samui.. Perkele 

How are you defining "best"?

I don't know this bakery...is it Finnish?

What sort of bread is it?

My original question was about French bread.

• Like 1