Heartbreak for family of Australian man seriously injured in hit and run on Koh Samui

rooster59

Unfortunately for his family this man must take responsibility for his actions because it was him that chose to hire a scooter without a current Australian motorbike licence, it was him that chose to ride the bike without wearing a helmet, it was him that chose to go around that bend at high speed at 4am in the morning, I will not comment on whether he had been drinking because that has not been reported. This man could have chosen to abide by the law and if he had this tragedy would not have happened. Many want to blame the bike rental shop but they did not force this man to hire a bike without a licence or without the proper insurance and it is these points that must be pushed so that other people do not make the same irresponsible mistakes as this man did.

Everybody is responsible for their own actions.

Responsible actions that you should take when on holidays

Do not hire a motor bike if you do not hold a current motorbike licence from your home country plus a current International Drivers Permit

Check you travel insurance terms and conditions to ensure that you are fully covered for riding a motorbike.

Ensure that you wear a helmet at all times

Do not ride after drinking alcohol especially in the early hours of the morning

• Like 1

This is a very sad story.  I don't understand where the costs are coming from.  I was in hospital, Intensive care after surgery and the costs were nothing like what we are hearing here.  I understand his injuries are sever but $20,000 a day, is this Australia or US dollars as there is a lot of difference. Either way I think they are getting ripped off.  Anyway it is very and at least he is in his home country.

Just now, FitnessHealthTravel said:

This is a very sad story.  I don't understand where the costs are coming from.  I was in hospital, Intensive care after surgery and the costs were nothing like what we are hearing here.  I understand his injuries are sever but $20,000 a day, is this Australia or US dollars as there is a lot of difference. Either way I think they are getting ripped off.  Anyway it is very and at least he is in his home country.

How many brain operations did you have to endure?

• Haha 1

It's been reported in many other papers and news stations that the was alone, no hit and run. 

A Fremantle man is in a critical condition in Royal Perth hospital after crashing his moped last month in Thailand on the resort island of Koh Samui.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/08/perth-man-in-critical-condition-after-moped-crash-in-thailand

In ThaiVisa on the Koh Samui news forum

The first report of it not being a hit and run was in post #93 on March 31 on page 7 by sgoode on the thread "Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance" started by rooster59 on March 30.

Post #93

Just read on a W.A. news site that his sister and family first thought it was a hit and run but apparently not the case.

Hope he recovers.

This from his sister just now, 

"Last night when I spoke to Mum they were investigating a hit and run because of the severity of his injuries and someone rang at 4am to call for an ambulance but when they got there, there was noone there so they thought it was suspicious," she said. 

"I have since been told that a lady witnessed it and he misjudged a corner and crashed into a concrete barrier at full pelt with no helmet."

• Thanks 1

There was a further fatal collision @5am on the ring road in Maenam soi 5 jct between a bike and a car. The biker died. The car has a dashcam and the jct has CCTV so I expect it'll make the news shortly.

Both parties are Thai.

only just read this, very sad indeed. the only thing you can hope is that it gets wide national press coverage in Oz and preferably elsewhere regarding the risks of not having insurance (whether that would have made a difference for this guy or not) and the dangers of riding motorcycles in Thailand in general

It was initially thought Mr French may have been injured in a hit-and-run, but the crash is now considered to be an accident.

Guess i'm not allowed to post the name of the newspaper who wrote it so you can copy/paste the text in google to find the link.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:39 AM, jenny2017 said:

Why Thailand? The shops must offer a special insurance that covers all expenses, including hospital and damage to the bike.

And bikes for rent should be checked every three to six months if the brakes, tires, chains, etc are good.

The cops must check on these shop owners and if they don't follow, a hefty fine should change their mind.

And of course no bikes for people without a license, a helmet of good quality a must? Would that be too much? 

In Thailand.....Dream on!

On 4/7/2018 at 10:26 PM, moana said:

They probably signed quite a few papers in order to get him treated, and are now bound contractually.

I am surprised the Thais let him go.  Many instances out there where people with medical bills were not allowed to go anywhere. 

One big lesson here:  Get the proper insurance (he almost did), but also make sure you have the proper license to ride a motor bike.  He did not have the proper license and that invalidated his insurance policy.  Maybe many people do not understand how that works.  Spread the word.