Why do Thais not care about a neat and clean home?

CLW

Thais do care about their bodies , I would say Thai girls are more hygienic than their western counterpart.  

But its all about the culture and how they grew up in a traditional Thai house ,maybe the whole family sleeping on mats on the floor . And in traditional way they also eat from a mat on the floor so of course they need to clean every day . 

Even if it's messy inside doesn't mean they do not clean , Thai style. 

• Like 2

Pic of the outside of my sister-in-law's house, from Google street view (555).  And a few  of our house across the street behind theirs.  To be fair, they recycle stuff for a good part of their income.  I get some nice old knives, tools and bits of antiques free.

Fortunately, our back porch faces in the opposite  direction and has a more pleasant view.

image.png.af734e793284d812b61baf9601ebb860.png

Thai house Loei.JPG

loei4.jpg

Sunrise Loei 2017.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smtsetup said:

It is because the Thais have no time nor energy for interior design and decoration, let alone for boring things like cleaning and gardening after they have taken care of their necessary daily business. Which is 

1) taking selfies and making social media updates 

2) doing their face and hair 

3) watching poyoyoyoiiiiing shows on TV

So it is not laziness. It is all about priorities. Sure, they do like living in a clean and nice looking house. If somebody (= the falang boyfriend) either does that for them or pays for maid services.

So true 555

• Like 1

Most people in the west take a lot of pride in a neat and clean looking house and room.

I've often noticed that houses and also rooms of many Thais resemble junk yards.

It's mostly not about money, as cleaning just needs some time and decoration or plants are not that expensive here.

Is it really just laziness?

YES!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

My girlfriend refused to clean a rental property and would only clean a house I built that would obviously have to be in her name.

when would the house OBVIOUSLY  have to be in her name ?

What do you make of that then?

foolish ? stupid ? fool and his money soon parted ? she different and the list goes on.

:sorry:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, catman20 said:

when would the house OBVIOUSLY  have to be in her name ?

What do you make of that then?

foolish ? stupid ? fool and his money soon parted ? she different and the list goes on.

:sorry:

Well, I'm sure there's ways of buying land in a farang name but then she wouldn't want to clean that either. I never have and never would buy anything that wasn't in my name. Mind you, she had enough time to video me cleaning a beautiful house I rented up north for a couple of months. She's still staying in her filthy room and I have a lovely clean apartment 555

Edited by mike1967
Posted before completing
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 5:13 PM, Peterw42 said:

People are confusing neat with clean. My wife loves clutter and is untidy "BUT" the floor gets moped and swept 2-3 times a day, clothes get washed after a 5 minute wearing, I had to re-grout the shower because she scrubbed all the grout away. 

She is still trying to break the world record for hoarding plastic bags, cardboard boxes and take-away containers.

Are we married to the same woman?

• Haha 2

I have read all of these postings.  My observations are;

Being brought up in a sh1thole I take pride in keeping our house spotless.

Having money and a huge house does not always= clean.  A friend in the UK whose house is worth over £1 - all paid for is an absoltute sh1thole - infested with mice etc

Another friend also in the Uk has a house valued at £500,000 is living in a pit.

We have a young Thai girl who lives with us and she had a very steep learning curve to cope with when she moved in.  Her room is immaculate and cleaned and polished every week.  To give you an idea of how rough her life was she left school at 13 to work on the rice farm in Issan, slept on the floor, cold showers, one room for the extended family.  A few months ago i asked her  if she was going back to see her grandmother(who brought her up) - she said she wanted to but did not want to stay there as the place was so very dirty and not staying there would upset her grandmother.  The girl is screwed up about what to do.

It does not seem to matter about upbringing, amount of money available or time - some people live in a sty and some do not.  I think it is the same in alot of countries.

• Like 2

Why do people make such gross generalizations. Why can't people realize their experiences are not every bodies experiences.

The majority of my Thai friends have immaculate houses, far better than people I knew in England. That is not to say I am stupid

enough to start a thread saying "why are Thai houses cleaner than houses in the west" as just because that is my experience it

clearly doesn't constitute a fact.

• Like 1

I think it's a simple matter of ornamentation versus practicality.....

I was raised with a formal dining room & living room - adorned with crystal, mementos, portraits, pictures, heirlooms, keepsakes, etc.....

From there it want to family rooms versus formal rooms (dining, reception, entrances) & basically untouched carpeting in my houses.....

My wife (and daughters) keep a clean house - but every shelf is out to be used....Shelves I would use for ornamental are now about 50% taken by useful? Categorized stuff....

The walls are reserved for pictures, etc.....

Basically, I've given up = it's a fusion of cultures....

What they see as storage we see as useful display space....

My house, garden, wife, & children are well organized, clean ,and fine.....It's just about 180' off (normal) from what I WAS used to.....I can live with that....

Is it micro managed to the point of fixation = no.....Is it clean (but maybe cluttered) = yep.....

So do I need to change or do they?

Neither - there's wiggle room for both sides....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 5:13 PM, Peterw42 said:

People are confusing neat with clean. My wife loves clutter and is untidy "BUT" the floor gets moped and swept 2-3 times a day, clothes get washed after a 5 minute wearing, I had to re-grout the shower because she scrubbed all the grout away. 

She is still trying to break the world record for hoarding plastic bags, cardboard boxes and take-away containers.

Snap! 

And's here's what some British backyards look like, just to redress the balance a little. . . 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2018 at 8:59 AM, wildewillie89 said:

The Mrs, and also her folks, like to have a lot of useless stuff laying around the house that makes it look a tad clattered, but the houses are cleaned everyday. Whereas back home, nowhere near as much stuff laying about the place, but by no means was the place cleaned as often.

We just added a storage space when we built the outdoor kitchen, so now inside is a win win.

I did the same thing, now the storage place is full of junk, should have made it twice as big

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess you have never been to Alabama. Or Arkansas. Most of the Thai homes I visit are super clean. And tidy. And the floors are mopped five times as often as in the US. Depends on how random a sample you are referring to. Certainly there are some who have no pride. But, most seem to. If you want to see dirty homes, travel to India. It is also a class thing, one might assume. 

• Like 1