Overwhelmed Krabi Unable To Stop Vandal Tourists

webfact

Overwhelmed Krabi Unable To Stop Vandal Tourists

By Jintamas Saksornchai

1310501-696x392.jpg  

Children point Monday to marks left by guests on the edge of Emerald Pool in Krabi province. Photo: Matichon

KRABI — Another natural attraction in the southern province of Krabi has been found defiled, leading local officials to vow stepped up surveillance.

The limestone rim of Emerald Pool, a natural swimming spot located in a wildlife reserve, was found to be gouged with graffiti consisting of letters, random shapes and visitors’ names.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/04/09/overwhelmed-krabi-unable-to-stop-vandal-tourists/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-04-10

I can't say I've been to many National Parks in Thailand that have been maintained properly.. There is generally garbage left around and the facilities are often left in disrepair.

Paying 10 x local entry fee would be acceptable if that money was used to keep parks up to standard, sadly in most cases the money seems to disappear !!

Preventing this type of vandalism requires funds to be utilized on signage and extra staff, simple...

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I can't say I've been to many National Parks in Thailand that have been maintained properly.. There is generally garbage left around and the facilities are often left in disrepair.

Paying 10 x local entry fee would be acceptable if that money was used to keep parks up to standard, sadly in most cases the money seems to disappear !!

Preventing this type of vandalism requires funds to be utilized on signage and extra staff, simple...

No, they only need a couple of cameras, and then they can send theese stupid persons back home and blacklist them forever.

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Graffiti is not appreciated anywhere, shame on the people who did this!

While I generally agree with that statement, graffiti is all the information we have about cultures from 100-10,000 years ago. 

After the Zombie Apocalypse and the Rise of the AI Machines wipe out all written and digital records, those scratchings may be all that's left behind for archaeologists in 1000 years.  It would be amusing the see what conclusions they draw based on, "Here I sit, broken hearted..." carved on a cave wall.

5 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Government to form committee to discuss banning foreign tourists from bringing sharp objects (keys, pen knives, pens, etc.) that can scratch and damage limestone rims into historical places of interest.

The first step to stop this is too bring in some substantial punishments for the offenders.  A 500 baht fine and a wai doesn't deter anyone.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The first step to stop this is too bring in some substantial punishments for the offenders.  A 500 baht fine and a wai doesn't deter anyone.

That's only for locals.  For foreigners, it's 100,000 baht for bail, and several months of worrying whether they'll be sentenced to years in a Thai prison for something as despicable as feeding fish or stepping on coral.

Unfortunately the destruction of what were previously beautiful tourist spots is rife around the world in locations that are in 'developing countries'.

Entitled tourists with pocketfuls of money ride roughshod over relatively poor locals and bring with them greed, sloth and poor manners .

Go to places like bali, Philippines, mexico ( cancun ),  various in africa, goa...the list is endless.

Its not a thailand thing.

Its what westerners do very well sadly ie not in my backyard thank you.

impulse, 10000 years ago the written language was a bit different , and I do not

think the word graffiti was thought of yet. Cave drawings, are just that, very early

drawings, that survived because they were drawn where nature, and early vandals

did not rub them out. Just  Saying!

Geezer

Archived