Water gun "war weapon" latest: Top official confirms traders face ten years jail!

webfact

Water gun "war weapon" latest: Top official confirms traders face ten years jail!

4pm.jpg

FILE photo

A top Thai consumer protection official told the media that anyone selling high powered water guns for use at Songkran faces a decade behind bars.

The public were urged to call 1166 to report sellers of the weapons.

Piknet Tapuang a deputy at the Office of the Consumer Protection Board was speaking to Channel 7 TV news and other media after a raid on a bottled water factory in Bang Plee near Bangkok.

He said the high powered guns adapted with PVC pipes could cause blindness.

He stated that the water could enter someone's ear and travel through the head to the eye.

Tourists could be injured as well as Thais and the public needed to be protected from harm.

He stated that traders should not sell the guns - if they do they face ten years in jail and or a fine of one million baht.

Members of the public should use the 1166 hotline to inform inspectors of violations.

The news followed a raid on a toy factory in Thonburi when an incredulous trader was informed she faced jail for importing what she thought were harmless toys not war weapons.

Source: CH7 TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-11
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Seriously ?

He stated that the water could enter someone's ear and travel through the head to the eye.

How high powered are these things are they connected to fire hoses ?

I seen plenty of water guns like the one in the picture in supermarkets too.

I've also been sprayed with real firehoses pumping up klongwater with a dieselmotor powered pump.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"He stated that the water could enter someone's ear and travel through the head to the eye."

Hmm...  I don't think so.  Neither does Google as far as I can see.

5acd93a81cc56_IMG_6122Edited.thumb.jpg.a3375db9ba2efd76feec090f50a85ce8.jpg

Maybe they could track this guy down and ask him :smile:

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Seriously ?

How high powered are these things are they connected to fire hoses ?

I seen plenty of water guns like the one in the picture in supermarkets too.

The blue pvc pipe guns can easily break an eardrum if shot from close distance. A guy with muscle can discharge it in a second or so, pressure must be 10bar+.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The blue pvc pipe guns can easily break an eardrum if shot from close distance. A guy with muscle can discharge it in a second or so, pressure must be 10bar+.

Yes, but they are not talking about those, i really get it if they went after those pipe water guns, i said as much in an other topic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see, that - once again- Thailand has all its priorities in order!

Welcome to BS- country, where the sellers of water- pistols get 10 years, because their products are too dangerous, but killers, rapists and other low- life are running free!

:coffee1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

Hmm...  I don't think so.  Neither does Google as far as I can see.

Quite so. There is no direct way that water entering the ear can go anywhere without first crashing through the eardrum causing deafness. There is then no direct route from the middle ear to the eyes.  Piknet Tapuang never went to medical school that's for sure.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

high powered guns adapted with PVC pipes

Chille out people

Badly written maybe but article is not talking about Songkhran water guns that are sold everywhere but about high power made of pvp pipes...

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

But this isn't what they are showing on this thread or the original one where they showed boxes of flimsy cheap children's toys.

IMO unless the importers found a way, by using blue PVC piping on these toys, to modify the pressure, we are going to see the "top Thai consumer protection official" Piknet Tapuang eating humble pie within the next couple of days.

If the factory was manufacturing the pvc pipe guns, then that is a different story. But still wouldn't be described as a 'war weapon' by any reasonable means except perhaps by someone who doesn't know what a war weapon is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, but they are not talking about those, i really get it if they went after those pipe water guns, i said as much in an other topic. 

Lost in translation I think...

He said the high powered guns adapted with PVC pipes could cause blindness.

The gist seems to be about those pvc cannons, breaking eardrums and optic nerve infections. Obfuscated by Somchai the Master Translator. 

33 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Lost in translation I think...

The gist seems to be about those pvc cannons, breaking eardrums and optic nerve infections. Obfuscated by Somchai the Master Translator. 

I was confused because there was an other article about normal water guns that linked to this one.