Most exciting motorcycle you ever ridden

Moo du

1984 Yamaha 1100 Maxim. Straight four-cylinder, shaft drive. That monster could fly. Had it out on US Hwy 63 south of Columbia MO late one night. Buried the speedometer (120 mph). Extrapolating from the tach, I must have been doing 140 mph. Only possible because I had added a fairing. It was comfortable to ride all day, too, with very little vibration.

Edited by LawrenceN
Spelling

Had a lot of bikes over the past 50 years :shock1:

Probably the most memorable was a VFR 750 Honda, after watching Ron Haslam ride a standard out of the crate bike to 4th place in a race at Donnington in ~1987 (racing factory bikes) I bought one, they were new on the market, at the time it was without a doubt the best "sports" bike on the road, stopped well, handled well with a great engine, at the time this combination was not available in one package on any other bike, had a lot of fun on that bike :smile:

My first Triumph speed twin at 16 was also memorable, not sure how I survived that one!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Kawasaki Z 900, a real classic bike. In 1978 the best bike on the market, also the year when I was allowed to drive big bikes. Helmet laws were not yet invented. My friend had one and I drive it from time to time. 

( Best rice cooker bike, excluding HD, of course)

They were evil! no other word for it, no brakes worth talking about, a very "flexible' frame, handling was atrocious combined with an engine that was superb, went like a rocket! :smile:

Survived having one of these as well!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

They were evil! no other word for it, no brakes worth talking about, a very "flexible' frame, handling was atrocious combined with an engine that was superb, went like a rocket! :smile:

Survived having one of these as well!

After all, driving full speed for so long a little miracle that I've survived. But there were some strange accidents and a lot of casualties. :sad:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moo du said:

So my most exciting was the Honda CBR1000RR 2018.

Ridden many bikes through my long biker years.

The Blade was mine at the time when they first came out in UK 1992 nothing could get near them for 6 years.

Exciting to me is acceleration speed the GXR K7 came close but it has to the Suk Hayabusa.

These days my sons 2117 R1 is just as quick as any.

• Like 1

I fell in love with the Villiers twin 2T two stroke engine really, and my only bike with that engine in it was an Ambassador 250 twin.

It wasn't the best looking bike, being a little clunky by today's standards, and also by similar bikes which had that engine, for example the Norman or the Panther (I think), but what it did have was very flexible engine that really had a lovely note to it when going flat out, which when all said and done, wasn't that fast!

By flexible I mean that it would run on almost anything and as I was an apprentice when I first got this, towards the end of the week (before the pay packet) I would have run out of money to buy petrol for it, so I would make up a concoction in the workshop in which I served my apprenticeship – – I would mix just a little petrol which was used for cleaning motors, along with some old gearbox oil from the mechanic's workshop nearby and add some chain lubricant which contained molybdenum disulphide and which was used for lubricating the chains which operated in very high temperature situations.

It didn't mix very well, despite my best efforts, and very often riding home and opening up the throttle would pull through the oily components of the mix and I would leave behind a trail of what could only be described as similar to a smoke bomb – – that's why I actually called the old bike my "2T smoke bomb".

As I said, the bike wasn't the best looker, but I did think that the engine was absolutely superb and I think they came out with a later version which was still 250cc, but called the Villiers 4T?

Would love to find a bike over here with that engine unit just to ride it for the sake of nostalgia.

untitled.png

• Like 1

Been riding since 11 years old. Races enduro. Loved the Alpine hill mountain climbs scary stuff. Seen men stop and say no thanks. l was 15 like a monkey up a 25 min climb dead steep..Various obstacles mainly rockslates.

Today l would be reluctant unless l training before hand because I was climbing every day at home on a local hill. Mono motocross all that was and is natural to me. Rode XR on dirt and road speedsters..CBR  929 YZF R1... R1 probably the quickest in the pack..owned April is RSV 1000 R nice but the Jap bikes scream 

driven lots of cars and bikes over the years without having to rave/bullsh*t about how fast they can go or I went on them, really have to wonder how much of a  dick pulling contest this is for some rather than talking about how exciting some bikes are to ride, real bike riders talk about the bike not what speed they did on them

Edited by seajae
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My best ever motorcycle ride was a Harley Davidson 1200cc back in 1965. It belonged to a guy who had not long moved into the area. I think he only came to the cafe we all frequented, just to show it off. It finished up with five of us taking turns to gun it down the road. It made my Triumph 650 Bonneville feel like a snail by comparison. Great times, but I'm well past the fast and open road days   

4 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

Ridden and owned many, about 2 dozen + past 30 over years.

All of them are exciting in some way.

ZZR1400 - clocked 290km/h right here in Thailand at Route 44 back in 2007

Best sport touring bike as far as I am concerned: BMW K1600GTL, lots of rides in Asia and around the Europe:

And best dual purpose bike BMW R1200GS Adv...great for highways and dirt roads/trails

Thank you for sharing these great videos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebonykap said:

1976 and I split up with my gf so, feeling depressed, walked into a bike shop and rode out on a Honda 750cc (K6 if I remember correctly). Loved that bike; dragging off show offs in their souped up Torana XU1's at the traffic lights with ease.

It took me 4 years to pay the bike off on outlandish hire purchase. The month after my last payment, someone stole it from my carport. THAT was a very sad day :sad:

I did better that, i bought a Gold Star 500 clubmans on the knock (over 24 months) three weeks later it was written off, not my doing i might add, i foolishly loaned it to a friend, to do an errand, you can see the results!

Does'nt look as if i can get the link to work sorry about maybe someone else can, hopefully!

Gold Star 500 Clubmans.lnk

Gold Star2.lnk

Edited by maxcorrigan
more info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

There are so many places here in LOS that rebuild Vespa's that nobody should pine for them.  Go out and find one!

A real genuine complete Vespa GS will cost up to 300,000 baht in Thailand

that's if you can find a good one, sure, there are millions of vespa running

around but they are not the proper GS with the correct and matching

body and engine numbers...