Alibaba deal no monopoly threat, Prayut assures

rooster59

Alibaba deal no monopoly threat, Prayut assures

By THE SUNDAY NATION

b9da9dd03d5d1136f875eaf75b64e2f3.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has allayed mounting fears of a monopoly developing following a deal that Chinese online trade giant Alibaba signed with the government earlier this week.

Prayut said he was well aware of the concerns but urged the public to open their minds to accept good benefits from the collaboration, Government spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday. Alibaba Group has committed to invest a total of Bt11 billion in Thailand in a move that Prayut said could benefit the country’s small farmers and rural enterprises due to the firm’s expertise in diverse technology.

Jack Ma, Alibaba’s co-founder and executive chairman, and Thai authorities on Thursday signed four memorandums of understanding (MoUs), marking the start of Alibaba’s significant investment in Thailand’s much-heralded Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) as well as a related “Smart City” project. Other signed agreements involved tourism promotion, digital economy and human resource development programmes.

As part of the collaboration, Alibaba and the Thai Commerce Ministry launched the first official Thai rice flagship store on T-mall, the world’s largest third-party platform for brands and retailers which has access to over 1.4 billion Chinese consumers, besides driving the sale of popular Thai fruits into China.

E-commerce expert Pawoot Pongvitayapanu yesterday welcomed Alibaba’s investment in Thailand but he also suggested that Thai authorities and entrepreneurs adjust their business strategy.

“Thai retail business will totally fall into the hands of foreign businesspeople in the next five to 10 years with huge foreign investments and connectivity to the world via the gradual growth of the Internet,” said Pawoot, who is president of the Thai E-commerce Association, on his Facebook page. 

As for the government, he said it should push more export of Thai goods to China and delay importing from China through creative means. He added that the government should also find experts on online trade to systematically push for that kind of business. Sansern yesterday said the PM had ordered the economic team to balance economic competition. “While carefully considering the appropriation of benefits for foreign investors, we have to protect Thai investors and SMEs as well,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30343678

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-22

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Prayut said he was well aware of the concerns but urged the public to open their minds to accept good benefits from the collaboration, Government spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

sansern is valuable, whatever he says, believe the opposite; as to the content, a coup is monopolizing the government; are there varying degrees of monopoly ? not meaningful ones

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I understand that you grant of me monopoly status and I'll put a good deal of money in your bank.

No - say it is not so!

A (non) monopolistic deal between a junta government and a multi billionaire oligarch?

Wherever did you get that idea? Haven't you listened to his songs - everything is for the country!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prayut said he was well aware of the concerns but urged the public to open their minds

Yes, and should the public also open their minds when it comes to your DPM and his watches? When should people open and close their minds? Please do tell, oh great one. 

Kowtowing to the Chinese? I wonder if the general public know that most of the cabinet are from Chinese families. Only a matter of time before Thailand is assimilated, resistance is futile... I read somewhere that Somkid speaks Thai with a Chinese accent despite being born and bred in Thailand...

Edited by merlin2002

OK common PM is this really about selling even more Durian to the Chinese?
From what I understand only registered companies will be able to use the service so there will still be a middleman getting rich.
Me thinks Jack Ma would like a peace of the Asean eCommerce Pie.

Clearly the PM is either clueless or flat out dishonest.  The Thai gov made this deal with China that presumably the Thai gov thought was in their favor.  Well just wait a bit to see the unintended consequences.  All those mom and pop businesses that get by selling small items will be gone.  Say what you like about the inefficiency of these businesses but they keep people employed.  The ‘Amixinificstionn” of Thailand is going to be painful for a lot of people.  The Thai gov has nothing better to say than don’t Rorey about the tidal wave that is coming to flatten you.

1 minute ago, chilli42 said:

Clearly the PM is either clueless or flat out dishonest.  The Thai gov made this deal with China that presumably the Thai gov thought was in their favor.  Well just wait a bit to see the unintended consequences.  All those mom and pop businesses that get by selling small items will be gone.  Say what you like about the inefficiency of these businesses but they keep people employed.  The ‘Amixinificstionn” of Thailand is going to be painful for a lot of people.  The Thai gov has nothing better to say than don’t Rorey about the tidal wave that is coming to flatten you.

It's called evolution, and I'm sure you buy everything from those mom and pop stores at a higher pricer, rather than from Lazada. Not?

21 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

It's called evolution, and I'm sure you buy everything from those mom and pop stores at a higher pricer, rather than from Lazada. Not?

The question is what are all the people whos life depends on small shops going to survive? You cant exactly ask your local social welfare department for hands- out in this part of the world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Should have signed the deal with Amazon. They don't sell fake goods and even produce their own movies and TV for their Netflix-like streaming service.

And as I found at  about 12  years ago that at least Amazon  do deliver the goods  ordered and dont tell you to "prove" you didnt receive them and are just  a competitor who is trying to bad  mouth the competition.

I ordered some shoes from China which never arrived and when I complained was told by alibaba that I had to prove this and that many competitors routinely do this to discredit other Chinese suppliers and my case was  closed all in one  reply

How do you prove you never got something?????