Formatting A Handy Drive/flash Drive

toptuan

I guess I should ask firstly: can it be done?

Then, how to do it?

Then, after formatting, how to set it up (parameters, etc.)? (Brand: Apacer 256mb)

After so many viruses (from school computers) have taken their toll, my handy-drive is totally messed up (only has about 25% of the original capacity); the folder system is messed up; there are files that won't go away (.jpg files). So, figured that only reformatting is the way to go? My thinking correct?

I guess I should ask firstly: can it be done?

Then, how to do it?

Then, after formatting, how to set it up (parameters, etc.)? (Brand: Apacer 256mb)

After so many viruses (from school computers) have taken their toll, my handy-drive is totally messed up (only has about 25% of the original capacity); the folder system is messed up; there are files that won't go away (.jpg files). So, figured that only reformatting is the way to go? My thinking correct?

I believe that is the best way!!

Here the steps how to format in 1. Windows, 2. Mac OS X:

Steps for Windows Platform (OS)

Instructions

STEP 1: Start your computer and plug in the flash drive in the USB port.

STEP 2: Click on "My Computer." Click on "Manage" in the "Explorer" window of "My Computer."

STEP 3: Open the "Device Manager" and locate your USBDrive installed under the "Disk Drives" tab. Right click on "Removable Disk Drive" and click on "Properties" from the menu.

STEP 4: Click on the "Policies" tab and choose "Optimize for Performance" from the options. Click "OK" and continue.

STEP 5: Click on "My Computer" and choose the format on the flash drive.

STEP 6: Choose "NTFS" or "FAT32" depending on the type you want from the dropdown menu box.

STEP 7: Click "OK" to complete the format.

STEP 8: Know the other method: Search for tools that allow easy format of flash drives over the Internet. GParted is a formatting tool that you can download from the Internet. Install GParted on your computer. Restart your computer and browse "System: Administration: Gnome Partition Editor."

STEP 9: Plug in your flash drive and start GParted. Login with password information.

STEP 10: Select the flash drive from the dropdown menu in the upper right window of the GParted interface. The list contains all the storage hardware installed on your computer.

STEP 11: Right click on the display of the drive icon and choose the "Format to" option along with the file system type you wish to format (FAT32, FAT16 and so on).

Steps for Mac Platform (OS X)

Instructions

STEP 1: Place the flash drive on the desktop.

STEP 2: Start the "Disk Utility." Click on "Macally" (or whateverf the name is) flash drive. Use the "Erase" button.

STEP 3: Select the "MS-DOS File System" in "Volume Format."

STEP 4: Provide a new name for the drive. Click the "Erase" button.

STEP 5: Perform the instructions given on the screen and finish the formatting.

Overall Tips & Warnings:

Use FAT16 formats for flash drives up to 256 MB of storage. For drives above 256 MB, choose the FAT32 file system. This technique allows you to work on Mac as well as the Windows platform.

Before unplugging, make sure the light is off. When in use, the flash drive shows a red or blue light (depend on brand and model).

Make sure the flash drive is installed on your computer and detected by the system.

Use an USB extension cable to plug in the flash drive if you are unable to access the USB port on the computer.

Formatting erases all the data on the drive so make sure you backup every folder and file before formatting.

Avoid formatting the flash drive unless you absolutely need to do so. You may render the flash drive useless if you are unable to format it due to technical problems. Troubleshooting a bad format is difficult.

Common problems in the flash drives can be amended by running the firmware utility "PL2315Config.exe" (or other Config Utility) located in Windows OS of your PC.