Ten-year Thai passports coming soon

snoop1130

Ten-year Thai passports coming soon

By The Nation

8a2625a8ad456a54e5aef79a1a1080f0.jpeg

Thai passports in the near future will be valid for 10 years instead of five currently, a senior official of the Foreign Ministry’s Consular Department said on Thursday.

Director-general Chatree Atchananant, however, did not say how much the new 10-year passport would cost.

The present five-year passport costs Bt1,060.

He said the new passport is in phase III of the plan to develop digital passports for Thai nationals.

The Foreign Ministry has invited private firms to propose the terms of reference to produce the new type of passports, the deadline for which has been extended from March 1 to June 1.

Chatree said the procedure will be transparent and in line with the laws.

The new passports will be upgraded to use biometric technology to collect iris pattern, in addition to the current face reading and fingerprints.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344069

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-4-26

Considering that the Australian government is seeking to introduce an automated system with no human involvement, i.e. passengers would pass through by facial recognition scanning, or finger printing, therefore doing away with passports and que's, and of course getting rid of the usual immigration staff who check and stamp passports which will be a thing of the past, I think the 10 year Thai passport would be world leading technology for the dark ages :sorry: 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Considering that the Australian government is seeking to introduce an automated system with no human involvement, i.e. passengers would pass through by facial recognition scanning, or finger printing, therefore doing away with passports and que's, and of course getting rid of the usual immigration staff who check and stamp passports which will be a thing of the past, I think the 10 year Thai passport would be world leading technology for the dark ages :sorry: 

Australia isn't doing away with passports, no country is, you still scan your E passport in the automated system.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The new passports will be upgraded to use biometric technology to collect iris pattern

UK passports do not have iris pattern technology. How can that data be taken off a 1 x 1.5 inch photo taken in a booth.

29 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

UK passports do not have iris pattern technology. How can that data be taken off a 1 x 1.5 inch photo taken in a booth.

Perhaps they will install scanners to do this?

For Thais you have to have your photo taken at the passport office, so perhaps that technology will be installed as well?

Probably not, but just giving the spokesman the benefit of the doubt. I see it wasn't a 'photo' opportunity for him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chatree said the procedure will be transparent and in line with the laws.

In most countries that would be a given, but in Thailand it has to be stated. Even if no-one will believe it anyway. Just a reflection of the culture they are so proud of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

You will still need a OZ  passport , that will only apply in Oz, not outside.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Had this for the last few years in Melbourne.

• Like 2