Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I store backup images of 5 computers (one is a Mac), usually about 50 GB each, as well as a lot more stuff. I also keep multiple images of my more important computers. My back up drive is 1TB, and nearly full... and there's nothing I want to take off it... and I regularly go through and clean old stuff I don't need. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2TB hard drive. How much would it cost for that much cloud storage? I know I could trim it down if I was paying for storage, but I like having excess space. It's like living in a big house. You don't need the space, but it feels good LOL.

Also, it's a lot faster recovering and making back up images over USB 3.0 than over the internet. I can do it in 10 minutes.

Point taken tropo, and your prevoius post Sorry. I use Acronis True Image where there is an automatic clean up function where you can say how many incrementals you make before a full jobby, and how long you keep back-ups before deletion. Works a treat and keeps the back-up drive relatively clear.

I can only say that I have had no problems upgrading to 1803. I have a 4th. gen Intel cpu (so about 4 years old) and a 3 year old MSI gaming laptop. Flawless upgrades.

If only upgrading my wife would be this easy!:w00t:

And for purchasing Window keys off ebay. Please trust them and the feedback. I purchased 2 keys for MS Office 16. Microsoft accepted them, then downloaded the custom install file based on those keys and up and going for less than 250b....yes, 250 baht!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Point taken tropo, and your prevoius post Sorry. I use Acronis True Image where there is an automatic clean up function where you can say how many incrementals you make before a full jobby, and how long you keep back-ups before deletion. Works a treat and keeps the back-up drive relatively clear.

I've used Acronis too. I found Macrium better after trying them both out. You can do the same on Macrium. i.e incremental backups and how long you store them etc. I always make a back up just before doing any major updates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I can only say that I have had no problems upgrading to 1803. I have a 4th. gen Intel cpu (so about 4 years old) and a 3 year old MSI gaming laptop. Flawless upgrades.

And for purchasing Window keys off ebay. Please trust them and the feedback. I purchased 2 keys for MS Office 16. Microsoft accepted them, then downloaded the custom install file based on those keys and up and going for less than 250b....yes, 250 baht!

After doing some research on eBay keys, I decided to go with OEM keys that come from trashed machines sold by licensed resellers. $4 for a genuine digital key linked to my Microsoft account - hard to beat.

• Like 2

Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!???

No, definitely not at the 19th of May 2018 (1 month after the 18th of April 2018) for those machines who do have VT-technology (and VT-d) enabled in BIOS: reboot process will immediately get stuck at the first Windows 10 logo shown at the very first start of the reboot process,  lasting an infinite amount of time. A lot of 1803-related information is available on the internet and it keeps growing. Finding and trying out the properly fitting solution, in this particular case being disabling VT-technology (and VT-d) in BIOS, do cost owners of these machines a lot of time, and time is money.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, Somtamnication said:

No problems on all machines in our household! That goes from an older DELL 1440 notebook to 2 LEMEL PC's, one is three years, the other one eight years old and a Lenovo Thinkpad PC, age unknown, my son is using.

I've upgraded some from W 7 Ultimate, bought some keys from eBay and can't say that there's a difference. All have a digital key that doesn't expire.

I've stopped messing around with KMS and use genuine MS Office 2016, plus Office 365 for a few baht only.

I was so fed up with pirated stuff that I'm quite happy now that all is running well. 

I've only experienced once when I updated my MS Office 2016 Pro, that it showed too many PC's were activated with this key, but a Macrium restore brought it back to good health. 

It's difficult to understand why it showed " key was used too often, or similar" on an activated MS Office program that too many activations were done when mine was genuine?

I'd have thought that such a message would pop up when people try to use my key? 

11 minutes ago, jacnl2000 said:

Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!???

No, definitely not at the 19th of May 2018 (1 month after the 18th of April 2018) for those machines who do have VT-technology (and VT-d) enabled in BIOS: reboot process will immediately get stuck at the first Windows 10 logo shown at the very first start of the reboot process,  lasting an infinite amount of time. A lot of 1803-related information is available on the internet and it keeps growing. Finding and trying out the properly fitting solution, in this particular case being disabling VT-technology (and VT-d) in BIOS, do cost owners of these machines a lot of time, and time is money.

I've had that "hanging" at a certain point of installation. I switched the PC off and on again and it just continued without a problem. But that was an older system without VT technology. 

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

No problems on all machines in our household! That goes from an older DELL 1440 notebook to 2 LEMEL PC's, one is three years, the other one eight years old and a Lenovo Thinkpad PC, age unknown, my son is using.

I've upgraded some from W 7 Ultimate, bought some keys from eBay and can't say that there's a difference. All have a digital key that doesn't expire.

I've stopped messing around with KMS and use genuine MS Office 2016, plus Office 365 for a few baht only.

I was so fed up with pirated stuff that I'm quite happy now that all is running well. 

I've only experienced once when I updated my MS Office 2016 Pro, that it showed too many PC's were activated with this key, but a Macrium restore brought it back to good health. 

It's difficult to understand why it showed " key was used too often, or similar" on an activated MS Office program that too many activations were done when mine was genuine?

I'd have thought that such a message would pop up when people try to use my key? 

They call it volume licencing. Although genuine, there's a limit on how many times it can be used. It's very complicated and I don't fully understand it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/licensing/product-licensing/FAQ-product-licensing.aspx

As mentioned in my earlier post below I'm delaying update to 1803...give it a little more time to mature...will update in June I expect. 

With my Win 10 Pro I have the 35 day update pause setting to delay all updates for 35 days.  Also two other settings where I can pause "features" updates up to 365 days and "quality" updates up to 30 days.  Initially I only had the 35 day pause setting enabled but have since also enabled the features and quality delay settings to 45 and 30 days, respectively.   That 45 day "features" setting should keep 1803 from installing after the 35 day pause setting expires on 4 June.

As already mentioned enabling the pause also prevents me for getting "quality" updates "automatically"...repeat automatically through Windows normal daily Check for Update process.  However, I can still get and install any updates I want to to keep my 1709 version fully up to date. 

Below on 9 May I talked about manual install of Patch Tuesday 8 May updates.   Last night I manually installed from the MS Updates Catalog  the Patch Tuesday May 21, 2018—KB4103714 (OS Build 16299.461 update for 1709).   Easy to do...download the appropriate update, click on the install file that downloads, and the the update progresses similar to the automatic process.   Just be sure to download the right patch for your version of Win 10 and type of system you have (i.e., 64 bit, X86/32 bit, ARM, Server, etc).   

Yes, it's patch Tuesday again and MS had an update for 1709.   But no 21 May update for 1803...its last update was Patch Tuesday 8 May. 

Just FYI for those delaying update to 1803 but still want to keep their 1709 fully up to date. Yea, I'll update to 1803 in June sometime....I want to wait until MS releases at least two patches/updates to 1803 to hopefully fix bugs some people are experiencing during the install/upgrade process....so far, MS has only released one.  Yea, come June sometime I'll let 1803 install on my two Lenovo laptops.

No major issues after 1803 upgrade. Some minor irritations:

1. Windows 7 games (solitaire etc) were "cleaned" by Windows Defender even though I specified an exception in defender not to scan those locations. Easily remedied by re-install.

2. I had some custom rules defined in Windows Firewall to prevent certain programs (IE, Firefox, Outlook) from connecting the the www if my VPN was not running. These disappeared. Again easily remedied.

3. Display setting went awry (40 inch TV). Again easily remedied.

4. Samsung mobile USB driver was replaced by a version which prevented my Samsung phone being displayed in Windows Explorer when connected via usb. A remove/reinstall fixed this.

Apart from that, everything else seems OK.

6 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

No major issues after 1803 upgrade. Some minor irritations:

1. Windows 7 games (solitaire etc) were "cleaned" by Windows Defender even though I specified an exception in defender not to scan those locations. Easily remedied by re-install.

2. I had some custom rules defined in Windows Firewall to prevent certain programs (IE, Firefox, Outlook) from connecting the the www if my VPN was not running. These disappeared. Again easily remedied.

3. Display setting went awry (40 inch TV). Again easily remedied.

4. Samsung mobile USB driver was replaced by a version which prevented my Samsung phone being displayed in Windows Explorer when connected via usb. A remove/reinstall fixed this.

Apart from that, everything else seems OK.

Of course you managed to easily remedy all the problems the update caused, but still, it could have been a problem for people with less technical savvy. Changing drivers, messing with display and firewall settings, and altering the scanning parameter of Windows Defender is not trivial and a good reason for people not to rush updates.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree Tropo.

Sorry if I appeared to be a smart-arse. That was not my intention. I thought if I listed my problems then someone who is not as tech savvy could PM me if they encountered the same issues.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo

On 5/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, Somtamnication said:

If only upgrading my wife would be this easy. ?

Perhaps I can help you out with a penis facial for your wife? Please send me a private message for more information on that topic. 

There's a new "marvelous update" that drove me crazy that I decided to restore my PC. One where it updates to 30 %, then restarts and and and///

Every time when I did a restart, it showed my "install updates and shut down", or "install updates and restart." But it was already installed. Fragging Bill Gates. 

12 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, I agree Tropo.

Sorry if I appeared to be a smart-arse. That was not my intention. I thought if I listed my problems then someone who is not as tech savvy could PM me if they encountered the same issues.

No, I didn't think you were being a "smart-arse".

People have really grown to accept problems with Windows as part of life, haven't they? Now it's about being the least inconvenienced, rather than not being. I cringe when new feature updates become available. "Oh no, not again - everything was working fine" is how I feel. Even the monthly accumulative updates worry me. One of them messed up one of my computers so badly earlier this month I decided to do a clean install. I've had to do a PC reset on 3 machines over the last few months in addition to the one clean install... all because I was having so many problems with feature updates - such as unbootable PC's, or constantly failing updates or mysterious system crashes, some of which I could not recover from and had to restore previous disk images and start all over again... For now, everything is fine.

I'm sure most of the problems are caused by upgrades from Windows 7 or 8 as most of us took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Now that I've cleaned up all my windows installations I'm hoping for a long troublefree run.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There's a new "marvelous update" that drove me crazy that I decided to restore my PC. One where it updates to 30 %, then restarts and and and///

Every time when I did a restart, it showed my "install updates and shut down", or "install updates and restart." But it was already installed. Fragging Bill Gates. 

Yeah, the endless reboot to finish installing an update, that keeps asking you to reboot. I've had the pleasure of going through that on a number of occasions. It's hard to fix too. You can try the standalone installer for the update on the Microsoft site.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, I didn't think you were being a "smart-arse".

People have really grown to accept problems with Windows as part of life, haven't they? Now it's about being the least inconvenienced, rather than not being. I cringe when new feature updates become available. "Oh no, not again - everything was working fine" is how I feel. Even the monthly accumulative updates worry me. One of them messed up one of my computers so badly earlier this month I decided to do a clean install. I've had to do a PC reset on 3 machines over the last few months in addition to the one clean install... all because I was having so many problems with feature updates - such as unbootable PC's, or constantly failing updates or mysterious system crashes, some of which I could not recover from and had to restore previous disk images and start all over again... For now, everything is fine.

I'm sure most of the problems are caused by upgrades from Windows 7 or 8 as most of us took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Now that I've cleaned up all my windows installations I'm hoping for a long troublefree run.

It's not that only people who've upgraded from W 7 to 10 have these problems. It affects also others who bought a genuine W 10 license.

The problem seems to be that Windows doesn't have enough Insider tester for their program and they made all of us to testers of a product that isn't always ready to be rolled out.

The importance of having all backed up can't be mentioned often enough. Macrium, a free tool, is now much faster than it was before.

• Like 1

I updated both of my Lenovo laptops from version 1709 to 1803 today....both running Win 10 Pro.  As mentioned in my earlier posts I had activated the updates 35 day pause setting and also the settings to delay features and quality updates.    These update pause/delay settings would have prevented the 1803 update well into June if desired.  I wanted to let 1803 mature a little....get few updates under it belt.   

Since 1803 has rec'd two updates in May to fix problems some people had experienced I figure I would try it on my secondary Lenovo first.  Went fine....took a total of approx one hour and ten minutes.  Played with it for a few hours....couldn't find any problems so I decided to update my primary Lenovo.  That update went fine also....once again took approx one hour and ten minutes.  Of course before doing the update I did image backups with Macrium Reflect Free just in case things didn't go well...but fortunately they did go well.

On one of the laptops the System Protection (Restore Point stuff) was turned off after the upgrade...so I turned that back on and created a Restore Point.  The other laptop still had System Protection turned on after the upgrade and had created a Restore Point.  This System Protection being turned off in some cases during an upgrade on some computers is not new or Win 10 specific....that problem also existed on Win 8 and Win 7 also.

Good to go with 1803....no issues/problems so far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

I updated both of my Lenovo laptops from version 1709 to 1803 today....both running Win 10 Pro.  As mentioned in my earlier posts I had activated the updates 35 day pause setting and also the settings to delay features and quality updates.    These update pause/delay settings would have prevented the 1803 update well into June if desired.  I wanted to let 1803 mature a little....get few updates under it belt.   

Since 1803 has rec'd two updates in May to fix problems some people had experienced I figure I would try it on my secondary Lenovo first.  Went fine....took a total of approx one hour and ten minutes.  Played with it for a few hours....couldn't find any problems so I decided to update my primary Lenovo.  That update went fine also....once again took approx one hour and ten minutes.  Of course before doing the update I did image backups with Macrium Reflect Free just in case things didn't go well...but fortunately they did go well.

On one of the laptops the System Protection (Restore Point stuff) was turned off after the upgrade...so I turned that back on and created a Restore Point.  The other laptop still had System Protection turned on after the upgrade and had created a Restore Point.  This System Protection being turned off in some cases during an upgrade on some computers is not new or Win 10 specific....that problem also existed on Win 8 and Win 7 also.

Good to go with 1803....no issues/problems so far.

I'm only aware of one update in May, KB4103721 (cumulative update) that I installed on May 10.

What build are you showing? I'm 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

I have system protection on, but I won't use it. I've had too many problems with it in the past so if I have a problem I'll just use my Macrium Reflect image. Have you ever tried to restore to a previous date, waited forever, only to get a message when it's all over that restore failed and nothing was changed - yet some things were? I've had that many times over the years, for both Windows 7 and 10. I'm done with it.

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm only aware of one update in May, KB4103721 (cumulative update) that I installed on May 10.

What build are you showing? I'm 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

I have system protection on, but I won't use it. I've had too many problems with it in the past so if I have a problem I'll just use my Macrium Reflect image. Have you ever tried to restore to a previous date, waited forever, only to get a message when it's all over that restore failed and nothing was changed - yet some things were? I've had that many times over the years, for both Windows 7 and 10. I'm done with it.

There have been two major updates....KB4103721 (OS Build 17134.48) released on 8 May and KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81) released on 23 May.   This MS web page will show you the latest releases for all versions.   Appears you are missing the 23 May update.

Both my laptops upgraded to the later/latest build of 17134.81.....see below snapshot.

Snapshot from my computer showing version/build number.

image.png.3cdaaf9717795133ca55b1d4d117983e.png

Keep in mind the two updates released in May for 1803 were already incorporated in my installs today....it's not like the original release of 1803 was installed...and then the two May updates installed afterwards.    There was only one update that installed afterwards and that was a Flash quality update for 1803.

Snapshot from my computer show Update History

image.png.90824540c5dbe6bfbfe2aab481af4398.png    

Edit: yeap, relying on only a System Restore point will many times result in failure based on my experience over the years, but it does come to the rescue in some cases.  But as you, I rely on Macrium Reflect Free image backups.  Before I did the upgrade on both laptops today I did two image backups for each computer to separate backup drive.  I use two external USB drives for image backups....I don't want to rely on just one external backup drive in case one would fail (and some day it will)....so basically I have a backup drive for my backup drive.

Edited by Pib

3 hours ago, Pib said:

There have been two major updates....KB4103721 (OS Build 17134.48) released on 8 May and KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81) released on 23 May.   This MS web page will show you the latest releases for all versions.   Appears you are missing the 23 May update.

Both my laptops upgraded to the later/latest build of 17134.81.....see below snapshot.

Snapshot from my computer showing version/build number.

image.png.3cdaaf9717795133ca55b1d4d117983e.png

Keep in mind the two updates released in May for 1803 were already incorporated in my installs today....it's not like the original release of 1803 was installed...and then the two May updates installed afterwards.    There was only one update that installed afterwards and that was a Flash quality update for 1803.

Snapshot from my computer show Update History

image.png.90824540c5dbe6bfbfe2aab481af4398.png    

Edit: yeap, relying on only a System Restore point will many times result in failure based on my experience over the years, but it does come to the rescue in some cases.  But as you, I rely on Macrium Reflect Free image backups.  Before I did the upgrade on both laptops today I did two image backups for each computer to separate backup drive.  I use two external USB drives for image backups....I don't want to rely on just one external backup drive in case one would fail (and some day it will)....so basically I have a backup drive for my backup drive.

I see it only now. KB4100403... and downloading as we speak. It was a slow release as I have updates set to notify if updates available (in Group Policy Editor). I even checked to see if there was an update before my post above LOL. That's pretty rough going - 2 cumulative updates to a feature update in 1 month.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am still on v1709.

How do I force an update to 1803?

This should help:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/106260-download-install-windows-update-microsoft-update-catalog.html

or more directly here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1