Owning a motorcycle in Bangkok

chakki

20 hours ago, akirasan said:

sounds like a good way to get rear ended

I have driven quite a bit in BKK and its quite normal for bikes to wait a bit after the red light turns green. Normally bikes are not waiting in front of all the cars but more to the side (though it varies). But you don't get rear ended because all the cars are standing still too. This is BKK not some kind of small provincial town there will be loads of people waiting all stopping. Just not safe to be the first always wait and see if there are red light runners. 

Of course if there is less traffic then move more to the sides when you wait so you won't get rear ended while waiting. But in general the reality of BKK traffic lights is that there are always masses of people waiting and as long as there are already cars stopped behind you nobody is going to rear end you and you will be faster away as the cars anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have driven quite a bit in BKK and its quite normal for bikes to wait a bit after the red light turns green.

*snip*

Must be a Bangkok thing. Here in Surin they always jump the light (if they have bothered to stop in the first place).

3 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Must be a Bangkok thing. Here in Surin they always jump the light (if they have bothered to stop in the first place).

I am sure its a BKK thing, you would not believe the number of motorcycles and cars waiting for traffic lights. Its not as if your alone waiting at a light (then chances to get rear ended are high). I understand completely what you mean with the fear of being rear ended.. but its just different here in BKK. If traffic was light id worry about it and move more to the side but traffic is almost never light in BKK.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I have driven quite a bit in BKK and its quite normal for bikes to wait a bit after the red light turns green. Normally bikes are not waiting in front of all the cars but more to the side (though it varies). But you don't get rear ended because all the cars are standing still too. This is BKK not some kind of small provincial town there will be loads of people waiting all stopping. Just not safe to be the first always wait and see if there are red light runners. 

Of course if there is less traffic then move more to the sides when you wait so you won't get rear ended while waiting. But in general the reality of BKK traffic lights is that there are always masses of people waiting and as long as there are already cars stopped behind you nobody is going to rear end you and you will be faster away as the cars anyway.

Thanks for confirming this situation. It seems some people here want to be the first - to crash into one of the late runners.

There are just too many people (cars and bikes) who decide to drive into the junction a second or two after their light changed to red. And some of these people drive very fast. The best way to avoid them is to wait a little...

40 some years ago, I bought a new Suzuki 125 enduro.  My Thai government co-workers had me get a lifetime motorcycle license.  Don't think I ever got plates, but up in Loei, it didn't matter.  I got stopped a time or two at a checkpoint just outside of town.  Cops were just bored and wanted to chat with the farang. One time, a kid  saw me there and accused me of stealing his bike.  Don't think I had any proof of ownership onboard.  Cops completely ignored him and the kid eventually went away.  (Same checkpoint where I t-boned a scooter and flew over the handlebars.)