What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Tv Series Documentary - Making a Murderer

Thanks…sounds good…a bit like that billionaire real estate heir who offed his wife.

Offed his wife and a neighbour when he disappeared and disguised himself. Acquitted even though he shot the guy point blank. America isn't much different than Thailand, if you're rich you don't get found guilty or spend a day in jail.

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

After the nightmare vision called Black Mass, I had to find something completely different. It's the story of young Louis Mazzini, whose mother was disowned and condemned to a life of poverty by her hoity-toity family for marrying an opera singer. Poor but proud and scheming Louis vows to exact revenge on the entire D'Ascoyne family. Eight members of the clan are acted by Sir Alec Guinness, one of the greatest actors of all time.

Wonderful stuff. Witty and literate script, great performances, no (overt) violence, no vulgarity, although adultery gets fair play in this one. Glorious black and white, from the great Ealing Studio. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Please NEVER a "re-make."

TEN

Just stumbled on a series called Dig, interesting premise but the 1st Episode was a bit slow.

Has anybody watched it? Is it worth sticking with?

Thanks

JB

Is this the one set in Israel?

One of the few shows that held my attention till the end….Its certainly not bad but don't expect some cutting edge showbiz genius.

Interesting plot, well acted out and paced… what more can you ask for?

• Like 1

Just stumbled on a series called Dig, interesting premise but the 1st Episode was a bit slow.

Thanks

JB

I really like the lead actor Jason Isaacs, but this one didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

Thanks

JB

I really like the lead actor Jason Isaacs, but this one didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Each to their own I guess.

Thanks guys, I've had it on (mainly in the background whilst Xmas chatting with family back home) & have enjoyed it so far (just finished episode 6) so will see it through to the end.

Now if somebody can please tell me where I can stream Series 2 Episode 4+ of Matrioshki ( aka Matroesjka) Christmas would be complete

[emoji4]

Edited by JB300
  • Like 2

Watched an excellent drama which was on BBC 2 at 9.00 last night about the making of Dads Army, mainly about Perry and Croft, the 2 writers, and how they chose the cast.

Also been watching a sitcom from the late 80,s starring Mel Smith called Colin's Sandwich, who plays a sort of Tony Hancock type character. All 12 episodes on You Tube.Remember seeing it at the time but never got the credit it deserved in my humble opinion.

We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story (TV Movie 2015) - IMDb

Of particular note when I watched this last night was the accuracy of the actors playing Arthur Lowe (Mainwaring) & Arnold Ridley (Godfrey).

Good stuff, thoroughly enjoyed this one

• Like 2

Offed his wife and a neighbour when he disappeared and disguised himself. Acquitted even though he shot the guy point blank. America isn't much different than Thailand, if you're rich you don't get found guilty or spend a day in jail.

Thanks for that giddyup...........don't suppose I need to download it now-----

Watch 2 HBO Doc's .Very.Semi-Serious......A.Partially.Thorough.Portrait.of.New.Yorker.Cartoonists.

Its quite watch able, New Yorker pay more for their cartoons than most other publication $500 so get the pick of the free lance cartoons, Sometimes over a 1,000 a week---they (the cartoonist ) turn up the same day to get rejected--some have been rejected for over 30 years. Their are some quirky people there , but also housewives etc who just view things differently.

https://torrentz.eu/search?f=HBO.Documentaries.Very.Semi-Serious

HBO-Bolshoi Babylon....looks at the infighting in the famous Russian troupe which boiled over when Sergei Filin, the director was attacked by an unknown assailant who threw acid in his face. I found it quite a good watch.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/bolshoi-babylon/synopsis/about.html

They (HBO) have also released --The Ties That Bind...about Bruce Springsteen’s 1980 double album The River & the tour that followed---haven't watched yet

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-ties-that-bind/synopsis.html

• Like 2

LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I guess he'll now say i gave away the story and he merely 'embellished' it.

• Like 2

Sansho the Bailiff (1954)

I'm going to keep plugging these old masterpieces, in the hope that some of the younger viewers might see the great films that were made all over the world, long before the era of comic book franchises and CGI effects.

This film always gets mentioned whenever there's a list made of great postwar Japanese cinema. I've seen most of them (Yojimbo; Sanjuro; Ran; High and Low; Stray Dog; Seven Samurai, etc.) but missed this one. It is supposedly a folk legend passed down through the ages in Japan. For some reason, the title is the name of the most evil person in the film, a slavemaster tyrant.

Yes, of course it's in black and white, beautifully restored by the Criterion Group. Yes, it has a soundtrack of Japanese classical music that drives a lot of westerners crazy. Yes, it has subtitles.

And YES: it is a great and powerful story of love and redemption, and the healing power of mercy.

Available at the usuals.

EXCELLENT beyond numbers.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 2

Watch 2 HBO Doc's .Very.Semi-Serious......A.Partially.Thorough.Portrait.of.New.Yorker.Cartoonists.

Its quite watch able, New Yorker pay more for their cartoons than most other publication $500 so get the pick of the free lance cartoons, Sometimes over a 1,000 a week---they (the cartoonist ) turn up the same day to get rejected--some have been rejected for over 30 years. Their are some quirky people there , but also housewives etc who just view things differently.

https://torrentz.eu/search?f=HBO.Documentaries.Very.Semi-Serious

HBO-Bolshoi Babylon....looks at the infighting in the famous Russian troupe which boiled over when Sergei Filin, the director was attacked by an unknown assailant who threw acid in his face. I found it quite a good watch.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/bolshoi-babylon/synopsis/about.html

They (HBO) have also released --The Ties That Bind...about Bruce Springsteen’s 1980 double album The River & the tour that followed---haven't watched yet

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-ties-that-bind/synopsis.html

Thanks for the heads up on the Springsteen doco.

Getting hold of it now.

LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I think giddyup was talking about a situation not related to the Show Making a Murderer

Short Poppies

New Zealand Mockumentary Comedy from 2014.

Just started to watch this and quite enjoying it.

Short Poppies is a New Zealand/United States mockumentary TV series starring, created and written byRhys Darby and directed by Jemaine Clement and Michelle Walshe.

It follows real-life entertainment reporter David Farrier as he talks to "extraordinary" New Zealanders who happen to live in the same small fictional town known as "The Bay". Farrier works for TVNZ's competitor, MediaWorks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Poppies

• Like 2

Bridge of Spies is a movie about Gary Powers whose plane got shot down and subsequently sentenced to 10 years in prison, Powers' only hope is New York lawyer James Donovan (Tom Hanks), recruited by a CIA operative to negotiate his release. As usual a very well made film by Steven Spielberg and a very good performance by Tom Hanks.

• Like 2

LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I think giddyup was talking about a situation not related to the Show Making a Murderer

I was, but JHolmes just likes to try and make me look bad for some reason.

Very nice doco….cheers.

• Like 1

LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I know….I was referencing how Making of a Murderer might be in the same genre as The Jinx with the case of Robert Durst who offed his wife….and then Giddyup came along and 'embellished' it.

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Like 1

I know….I was referencing how Making of a Murderer might be in the same genre as The Jinx with the case of Robert Durst who offed his wife….and then Giddyup came along and 'embellished' it.

So what? It wasn't the show that he was interested in downloading. In fact the show's name wasn't mentioned until you just did, so get off my back OK.