What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I decided to watch Behind the Candelabra the other night, based on the life of Liberace (loosely).

It wasn't really much of a movie, but I must say that Michael Douglas's portrayal of him was excellent.

I saw that some years ago and enjoyed it too. Liberace is the only entertainer I can recall where no one can remember any of his songs. I guess the nearest we have to that <famous for being famous> these days are the Kardashians smile.png

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

just streamed the latest Bond movie SPECTRE.

this has gottta be the worst thing ever, even worse than the "gay" Bond Roger M's efforts which were abysmal but better than this.

Surely this is D Craig's last raid on the incompetent producers wallets, that Barbara Broccoli has just about destroyed old Harry's golden goose that he left her.

Craig looks like he's ready for the retirement home - yesterday.

• Like 1

Stumbled upon a nice one.Remember..with Christopher Plummer.no one does creepy old man better.

Made by one of my favourite directors, the canadian Atom Egoyan.

Correction...theyve got this mislabelled on the kodi streaming addons...plays another film...apologies....but it will be hopefully remedied soon as it is currently showing on directv in the usa.

Gang

Was wondering if anyone has seen the TV series (not movie) Das Boot and can

give their opinions on it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Recently found it's available for download but at over 15 GB's, it's huge.

Its been a while since i watched it but if i recall correctly good series defo worth a watch..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Knight of Cups

This one ain't my cuppa tea...A bit of weirdness that i might have enjoyed in the past

The film lacks a traditional narrative and more closely resembles a tone poem.[5] A screenwriter living in Los Angeles tries to make sense of the strange events occurring around him. While he's successful in his career, his life feels wmpty. Haunted by the death of one brother and the dire circumstances of the other, he finds temporary solace in the Hollywood excess that defines his existence. Women provide a distraction to the daily pain he must endure. And every encounter that comes his way brings him closer to finding his place in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_Cups_(film)

• Like 2

For those who like Jerry Seinfeld, and/or classic cars, check out "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee".

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com

With all of the talk this week about President Barack Obama joining Jerry on the above show, decided to give it a crack.

The show at the Oval Office was pretty funny so I decided to have a look at series 1 (they're up to series 7).

Each episode is roughly 7 to 12 minutes long and is basically him with a friend, usually another comedian.

They borrow classic cars and go for a ride, stop off for coffee and chat.

Really easy watching. I watched the first series in under a couple of hours.

Not gut-wrenching, but really enjoyable.

• Like 2

Gang

Was wondering if anyone has seen the TV series (not movie) Das Boot and can

give their opinions on it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Recently found it's available for download but at over 15 GB's, it's huge.

The series is definitely better than the movie (and I liked the movie very much). I read the book after the film/TV-show and contrary to the author of the book I thought that the production was a rather good adaption of the book. But he complained that in one scene the bombers came from the wrong direction and that the nurses wore the wrong uniforms and that the party on board of the boat would have been "unthinkable" in the German Navy and so on. Well, all these inaccuracies in details that ruined the whole thing. smile.png

Anyway, one can say that at that time (of the production, not the war) Germany could offer some decent actors. BTW, one of these actors, namely the war correspondent, made quite the career as a singer in Germany. Never saw him in a film or show again.

But good that you mentioned it. I think it's time to re-watch the series. I still have it on VHS. wub.png

• Like 2

Saw the pilot of Billions. Found it to be very promising. Some well known faces (e.g. Damian Lewis). U.S. Attorney goes after a billionaire hedge fund manager for insider trading or whatever else will come up. A fight between two giant a-holes. Let the games begin!

• Like 2

so lets catch up ,

mozart in the jungle series 2 has been released en mass, slow starting and nicely building up to a embracing crescendo,

'last cab to darwin' , last rights road movie predictable made watchable by some endearing characterizations

'irrational man ' like it almost had the right ingredients, but basil was put in when it needed chilly , far to straight a tale

needed something quirky or downright weird to lift it from the mundane, which unfortunately imo it turned into ,

'diary of a teenage girl,' finally comes on line, been waiting for this one and what do i do ,,, crash out midway through, but what i saw was a

coming of age movie well put together with all the right ingredients

'the big short' fascinating drama based around the money men that bet on the American housing market crashing

'trumbo' excellent biog on oscar winning script writer dalton trumbo mainly based around his fight against the famed Hollywood

blacklisting

edit 'billions' engaging enuf pilot on an old monied us attorney seeking the fall of a rags to riches wall street king.

Edited by rijit
  • Like 2

The Big Short (2015)

I saw this one last night and it tore my head right off! How did this movie not get recognized and shouted from the rooftops? You want to begin to understand what the "big meltdown", The Great recession", The busted Bubble, etc of 2007 was all about? Check this out. I need to watch it again, because it made me realize how stupid I am when it comes to fraud and con games, especially those played by "the smartest guys in the room", on a worldwide scale. And they got away with it, and they're getting ready to bone us all again.

Check out this cast: Steve Carrell (almost unrecognizable, this really is HIS film), Marisa Tomei, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale (brilliant as usual), Ryan Gosling, Melissa Leo, and a fine bunch of young up and coming actors. The only thing missing is a cameo of Max Keiser, howling gleefully in the background about the "banksters."

I've seen most of the fine documentaries that attempt to explain what happened back then, (and what is shaping up to happen AGAIN! in a new variation), but this one brings it home dramatically and comedically (word?), with an outstanding script and fine ensemble performances.

TEN, and can we send you a prospectus about a new bond product that we're very excited about??

There's a great documentary that explains the entire saga in excruciating detail…The Inside Job…..big short is just about the guys who profited from what they saw coming..

• Like 1

I didn't think too much of it either...some type of Xmas merriment from a group of drug induced script writers?

Hopefully the nsxt season gets back to the basics

I just watched the new full length Sherlock , the abominable wife or something it was called , well it certainly was abominable , 1 out of 10 the story was rubbish of the 1st degree .

The NY one off special Sherlock The Abominable Bride, is out there now.

• Like 2

Knight of Cups

This one ain't my cuppa tea...A bit of weirdness that i might have enjoyed in the past

That's Terence Mallick for you….a weirdo….christopher plummer famously refused to work with him, saying "I like terence but he really needs to get himself a good writer…."

• Like 1

Knight of Cups

That's Terence Mallick for you….a weirdo….christopher plummer famously refused to work with him, saying "I like terence but he really needs to get himself a good writer…."

Gave it 15 minutes then decided there was some paint I needed to watch dry.

• Like 1