What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Knight of Cups

This one ain't my cuppa tea...A bit of weirdness that i might have enjoyed in the past

That's Terence Mallick for you….a weirdo….christopher plummer famously refused to work with him, saying "I like terence but he really needs to get himself a good writer…."

Yes, Malick. There is a sizable contingent of fans that think he's one of the all time great directors. The only film of his that really moved me was the one with Martin Sheen (young guy at the time) and Sissy Spacek, leaving a bloody trail all over Nebraska. (Badlands?)

Attention to detail: In the opening scenes to The Thin Red Line, which often gets listed among the "Greatest War Movies", a pan shot of the deserted island village shows a modern, foam core surfboard leaning up against a shack. This, in the 1940's, WW2. When I see stuff like that, it's all I'm looking for the next 1-1/2 hours.

Earlier I mentioned 30 degrees in February,well I am up to the 3rd episode ,its set in Phuket and follows the lives of a family,a single guy and a middle aged couple ,its really good ,if you gloss over the fact that you can't buy land or just work,but it really is not what you expect ,its subtitled , give it a go i'm hooked

• Like 1

Knight of Cups

This one ain't my cuppa tea...A bit of weirdness that i might have enjoyed in the past

That's Terence Mallick for you….a weirdo….christopher plummer famously refused to work with him, saying "I like terence but he really needs to get himself a good writer…."

Yes, Malick. There is a sizable contingent of fans that think he's one of the all time great directors. The only film of his that really moved me was the one with Martin Sheen (young guy at the time) and Sissy Spacek, leaving a bloody trail all over Nebraska. (Badlands?)

Attention to detail: In the opening scenes to The Thin Red Line, which often gets listed among the "Greatest War Movies", a pan shot of the deserted island village shows a modern, foam core surfboard leaning up against a shack. This, in the 1940's, WW2. When I see stuff like that, it's all I'm looking for the next 1-1/2 hours.

Thin Red Line is one of my favourite war movies. Looking at his list of Films, nothing much else of his jumps out at me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Malick#Filmography

• Like 1

Burnt (2015)

Possible light SPOILER in first paragraph.

Here we have another film about a semi-insane world class chef, trying to make a comeback, three years after crashing and burning in Paris due to alcohol, drugs, and ego. After doing “penance” by hand-shucking ONE MILLION oysters in New Orleans (913 oysters +/- every day??), he turns up in London determined to stay clean and attain the coveted Michelin 3 Star rating.

Was that really a SPOILER? I hope not. Bradley Cooper does a fine job in this role. With his East Coast attitude and mercurial temper, he is completely believable as this troubled soul. Good script, good cast, great behind the scenes look at life in a kitchen designed to serve the fickle appetites of the world's most affluent people. After a rough day in the City of London, unloading bundles of toxic derivative bonds, your brokers (Masters of the Universe!) like to head to joints like this to wine, dine, and impress each other, or so I've heard.

Fans of cooking shows, and especially anything starring Chef Gordon Ramsay, (particularly Hell's Kitchen!) will find this to be familiar territory. I think the appeal of this material is the thrill of watching people get ripped to shreds by the tyrant, and, it's not US!

Also fascinating are the tiny entrees produced in such establishments, little bits of this and that, with drips of saucings and odd arrangements, served with outrageously expensive wine. What a different world this is, compared to your average American mass feed restaurant, where big servings of everything is the order of things. (“Double dog dare ya to take on our 22 oz Montana Big Sky Steak with Jumbo Baked Idaho Spud, slathered with Real Sour Cream and Chives! Save room for the Baked Alaska Dessert”)

Unfortunately, just like Jon Favreau's nearly unknown 2014 film Chef, this one seems headed straight for the DVD rack. Maybe Chef Ramsay has worn us all out with his foul-mouth, abusive tirades. A shame, because this is a very enjoyable small movie.

8-1/2, and Jean-Claude will tell you about tonight's special offerings, not on our regular menu. Oh, Sir, so sorry, your Amex Platinum card was DECLINED.

• Like 2

Burnt (2015)

Good script, good cast, great behind the scenes look at life in a kitchen …...

Was blow away by the detail and the slickness of the plating….then found out that they had Marcus Wareing as consultant….the guy's a michelin legend.

He taught the cast how to be convincing in their roles….money well spent.

• Like 1

Slow West (2015)

I don't usually write about films or shows that I didn't like, but this film.... I don't know where to start. Like most American boys who grew up in mid-20th Century America, we thrived on an endless stream of Westerns and war films. As history, every last one of these epics was pure bunk, useful only in training us all for our future roles as cannon fodder, of inflicting the American Way of Life on the rest of the planet.

Now, years later, I can watch films like "Santa Fe Trail" (Erroll Flynn and Ronald Reagan team up to put the kibosh on terrorist/abolitionist John Brown), "Red River" (pairing the unlikely duo of hardass Duke Wayne and Actors Studio poster boy Monty Clift), "Shane' (what the world needs more of, sensitive gunfighters) etc. etc. and have a big laugh at how preposterous these were. Pure crapola, all of it, but that was entertainment, back then.

This film takes all of the conventions of the Western film, grinds it all up, and comes up with an execrable mess. Michael Fassbender was quite believable as Steve Jobs, but his Clint Eastwood Sergio Period strut in this mess is a joke. Ben Mendelsohn, wearing a XXXL fur coat, grins his way through, as if to say, What are we doing here! This film is so bad, it will probably end up on many lists as "one of the greatest Westerns ever made!" The Daily Telegraph said it was one of the best films of the year!

Maybe it's just me. Check it out.

FOUR Shane, Come back!!!

• Like 2

Slow West (2015)

I don't usually write about films or shows that I didn't like, but this film.... I don't know where to start. Like most American boys who grew up in mid-20th Century America, we thrived on an endless stream of Westerns and war films. As history, every last one of these epics was pure bunk, useful only in training us all for our future roles as cannon fodder, of inflicting the American Way of Life on the rest of the planet.

Now, years later, I can watch films like "Santa Fe Trail" (Erroll Flynn and Ronald Reagan team up to put the kibosh on terrorist/abolitionist John Brown), "Red River" (pairing the unlikely duo of hardass Duke Wayne and Actors Studio poster boy Monty Clift), "Shane' (what the world needs more of, sensitive gunfighters) etc. etc. and have a big laugh at how preposterous these were. Pure crapola, all of it, but that was entertainment, back then.

This film takes all of the conventions of the Western film, grinds it all up, and comes up with an execrable mess. Michael Fassbender was quite believable as Steve Jobs, but his Clint Eastwood Sergio Period strut in this mess is a joke. Ben Mendelsohn, wearing a XXXL fur coat, grins his way through, as if to say, What are we doing here! This film is so bad, it will probably end up on many lists as "one of the greatest Westerns ever made!" The Daily Telegraph said it was one of the best films of the year!

FOUR Shane, Come back!!!

I quite liked it, but one I recommend is Sweetwater with Ed Harris. Also Salvation, both great westerns.

• Like 2

Slow West (2015)

FOUR Shane, Come back!!!

I quite liked it, but one I recommend is Sweetwater with Ed Harris. Also Salvation, both great westerns.

It didn't quite work for me.

some decent bits mixed with the oddest plot lines and scripting

• Like 1

Tv Series Documentary - Making a Murderer

Three episodes into this 10 parter from Netflix and it's fascinating viewing.

More like fiction than truth.

All 10 episodes are now available.

IMDB: Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery,

a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.

This show seems to be getting a fair bit of publicity.

If you haven't seen it, this article contains spoilers.

Making a Murderer: juror believes Steven Avery was framed

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/01/06/11/00/making-a-murderer-creators-reveal-new-twist-in-steven-avery-murder-case#EcAdP3EgsPTtLTcS.99

So.what did you think of it? Hit or miss ?

Edit, apologies just re read tour post and saw the Story'fascinating ' line.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Slow West (2015)

FOUR Shane, Come back!!!

It didn't quite work for me.

some decent bits mixed with the oddest plot lines and scripting

Watched it a whole back didn't set the world alight but Worked well enuf for me, well shot, reasonably interesting charecters, main stream yet had an Indie ish Feel to it.

Edited by rijit

Tv Series Documentary - Making a Murderer

Three episodes into this 10 parter from Netflix and it's fascinating viewing.

More like fiction than truth.

All 10 episodes are now available.

IMDB: Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery,

a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.

This show seems to be getting a fair bit of publicity.

If you haven't seen it, this article contains spoilers.

Making a Murderer: juror believes Steven Avery was framed

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/01/06/11/00/making-a-murderer-creators-reveal-new-twist-in-steven-avery-murder-case#EcAdP3EgsPTtLTcS.99

So.what did you think of it? Hit or miss ?

Edit, apologies just re read tour post and saw the Story'fascinating ' line.

Couldn't turn this show off, absolutely gripping. Truth being stranger than fiction!

Tv series - Pure Evil AKA Malicia

Two episodes into this new 13 part series and it's really promising.

Encoded hard subs.

Good tip….is this one of Sno's specials?

Cant find it on my usual Kodi streaming sources.

Edit: yup its a Sno special.

Edited by JHolmesJr

tbh not a sci fi or fantasy fan ,imo it aint moved on from the 70's ,, but thats another debate but will it watch when forced,,biggrin.png ie its that good its unmissable ... Hugely conflicting reports on this one

The Shannara Chronicles

imbdb 8.6 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/

meta critic reviwers average 49 !!!! http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-shannara-chronicles

anyone watching this series ?

Edited by rijit
  • Like 2

A couple of movies just available

Ashby

Mickey Rourke is good in this one.Also has Nat Wolff and Emma Roberts. Comedy drama style. Dramedy? 5.5/10 High-school student Ed Wallis enters into a friendship with his neighbor, Ashby, a retired CIA assassin who only has a few months left to live.

Mercury Plains

Low budget awful stuff. Has Scott Eastwood in who is quite good. Eastwood joins a crew in Mexico who rip off drug dealers. Not a lot makes sense with this one. 2/10

• Like 2

Tv series - Pure Evil AKA Malicia

Two episodes into this new 13 part series and it's really promising.

Encoded hard subs.

Good tip….is this one of Sno's specials?

Cant find it on my usual Kodi streaming sources.

Edit: yup its a Sno special.

It first came to notice when I saw it on this new streaming channel

called Walter Presents. I was waiting for it to come up somewhere.

Shows like Match Day, Cenk Batu, The Lens & 10 look promising.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/walter-presents

That site looks interesting

• Like 1

tbh not a sci fi or fantasy fan ,imo it aint moved on from the 70's ,, but thats another debate but will it watch when forced,,biggrin.png ie its that good its unmissable ... Hugely conflicting reports on this one

The Shannara Chronicles

imbdb 8.6 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/

meta critic reviwers average 49 !!!! http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-shannara-chronicles

anyone watching this series ?

Tried it , wow i gave it the highest score i could 1/10 , mind you now come to think of it ,thats a bit high .biggrin.png

Trolls, magic, elves, demons, a cast similar to "the 100", loud foreground music, almost no sense of humor. But the girls are cute and sometimes wear shiny dresses. I mean, that counts for something, right?

Completely agree with your rating. Well, it's MTV (they still exist?).

• Like 2