Applying for US Social Security benefits at Manila FBU

I turned 62 in Feb. so I applied (3months prior) for early SS benefits in Dec. I was interviewed by phone in Dec. by a guy from the FBU at the Manila Embassy. Routine questions were answered. He wanted some docs about what work I would be doing post-retirement in Bkk and if I would be receiving any retirement benefits from the Thai Govt. I sent them right away. And then nothing.

I have called (straight to an answering machine which never seems to be checked) and sent email (unanswered) multiple times and it's already May when I should have got my first SS check March or April. I did get through once on the phone about a couple of weeks ago to a lady there who looked up my case on their system and told me "it's being processed, and I could call again to find out the status (which is not particularly helpful)."

Anybody had a similar experience with the Manila? Is it just the current general demoralization of the State Dept? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Chicksaw

Sorry to hear about the problem.

It is a known fact that the State Department is badly understaffed at this point in history and there have been real life negative consequences to that. 

I will soon have a personal interest in this situation as well so curious to learn how this proceeds for you.

Can I ask whether you're seeking to have the checks paid to a U.S. or Thai bank? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

OP,

You do need to call Manila again and this time ask specifically "where is your application in the approval process?"  It's quite possible the Manila SSO completed their processing and electronically submitted it forwarded to the Baltimore International Operation Office which is responsible for final review/approval of all SS applications submitted from outside the U.S./applicants with foreign addresses.   Manila is not the final approval authority; Baltimore International Operations is.

The Baltimore Office has 60 days from the day they receive  your application from Manila to even open it up and look at it.   You can not email this  Baltimore office....you either need to write them or phone  them.  See below weblink for contact info to include which phone number to call depending on your social security number.  When calling chances are high you will have to leave a voice mail so be prepared to clearly state you name, social security number, return phone number and why you are calling.  Unless something has changed their voice recording will probably say they will return your call within two business days....but you "might get lucky" with a human answering the phone.

https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Or you can call the main Social Security 1-800 number who can look up the status of your application.    Don't be surprised if they say it's at the Baltimore office assuming Manila sent it forward.   The customer support reps at this central 1800 can even send the Baltimore Office an internal message that you called in attempting to find out status...this assumes their system shows your application is at the Baltimore International Office.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/apply-for-benefits.html

Please note the Manila Social Security Office is "not" part of the State Dept...it's just the Social Security Agency has an agreement with the State Dept to operate within the Manila U.S. Embassy.....the embassy is basically providing them office space to operate out of.

In closing I would recommend you call Manila again with more specific questions as the the status and location of your application.   From my own application a couple years ago and helping another American about a year ago I have found Manila ability to quickly respond via email or phones ranges from "fast sometimes" to "extremely slow "sometimes."   Keep in mind they are responsible for applicants from approx 50 countries.   Unless you have easily /cheap access to calling U.S. phone numbers like maybe having a U.S.VOIP number,  I highly recommend you call Manila again with your specific status questions before calling one of the other phone numbers given in above links.   Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry to hear about the problem.

It is a known fact that the State Department is badly understaffed at this point in history and there have been real life negative consequences to that. 

I will soon have a personal interest in this situation as well so curious to learn how this proceeds for you.

Can I ask whether you're seeking to have the checks paid to a U.S. or Thai bank? 

US bank, from when I worked there. I'll make sure to post the outcome of the whole process (fingers crossed).

Edited by Chicksaw
5 minutes ago, Pib said:

OP,

You do need to call Manila again and this time ask specifically "where is your application in the approval process?"  It's quite possible the Manila SSO completed their processing and electronically submitted it forwarded to the Baltimore International Operation Office which is responsible for final review/approval of all SS applications submitted from outside the U.S./applicants with foreign addresses.   Manila is not the final approval authority; Baltimore International Operations is.

The Baltimore Office has 60 days from the day they receive  your application from Manila to even open it up and look at it.   You can not email this  Baltimore office....you either need to write them or phone  them.  See below weblink for contact info to include which phone number to call depending on your social security number.  When calling chances are high you will have to leave a voice mail so be prepared to clearly state you name, social security number, return phone number and why you are calling.  Unless something has changed their voice recording will probably say they will return your call within two business days....but you "might get lucky" with a human answering the phone.

https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Or you can call the main Social Security 1-800 number who can look up the status of your application.    Don't be surprised if they say it's at the Baltimore office assuming Manila sent it forward.   The customer support reps at this central 1800 can even send the Baltimore Office an internal message that you called in attempting to find out status...this assumes their system shows your application is at the Baltimore International Office.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/apply-for-benefits.html

Please note the Manila Social Security Office is "not" part of the State Dept...it's just the Social Security Agency has an agreement with the State Dept to operate within the Manila U.S. Embassy.....the embassy is basically providing them office space to operate out of.

In closing I would recommend you call Manila again with more specific questions as the the status and location of your application.   From my own application a couple years ago and helping another American about a year ago I have found Manila ability to quickly respond via email or phones ranges from "fast sometimes" to "extremely slow "sometimes."   Keep in mind they are responsible for applicants from approx 50 countries.   Unless you have easily /cheap access to calling U.S. phone numbers like maybe having a U.S.VOIP number,  I highly recommend you call Manila again with your specific status questions before calling one of the other phone numbers given in above links.   Good luck.

Thanks, Pib. Truly appreciate your detailed response which really clears up the situation. And I am going to follow your advise re dealing with the matter.

Based on my experience with a similar problem, Social Security has no efficient way of tracking exactly where your paperwork is at any time. That's why they can't tell you anything more: their system doesn't show the current location of your file.

And keep in mind that once Baltimore has finally signed off on your application, it then heads to a "prcoessing center" somewhere where it disappears for a month or so while it is being "processed." Once your file emerges from the processing center you should receive your approval letter.

To repeat what I've said here before, think of a place where it's still 1952 and you'll have a good idea how the SSA bureacracy works.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, Chicksaw said:

US bank, from when I worked there. I'll make sure to post the outcome of the whole process (fingers crossed).

I'd appreciate to know of any update of your status and any knowledge learned...my "3-month" application window opens up in two weeks....thanks...

Edited by jeffandgop
  • What paperwork is involved?  I thought one could just go online to the SSA website ( I do have an account as I am not many months away from my minimum age of62).  I can one must sign or notarize something.  But If I do all my applying from inside the USA is it easy/easier?  I have not heard from anybody I know that is on social that it was particularly difficult if all done inside the USA.  I looked at the website for applying and there was a short checklist of information to gather in advance, last two years work history, and a few other things.  I didn't look at the online application but the site said shouldn't take too many minutes.
Edited by gk10002000
add

You can apply online; however, if you live in Thailand "and are truthful on the application giving your Thailand residence" your online application is supposedly relayed to Manila for initial processing which means they may need to contact you.   And if additional paperwork is required, like in the OP's case where he was also receiving retirement benefits for another country, then additional time is required to finalize the processing of your application.   Other cases were additional paperwork may be required is if you are a naturalized U.S. citizen as the SSA will probably want a copy of your U.S. passport and/or Naturalization Certificate.  

Additionally, for folks who live outside the U.S., like in Thailand, it is not the Manila office that makes the "final" decision on your application; it's the Baltimore International Office which is the final processor/approval authority for all applicants with foreign addresses.  Manila initially processes you application and then it's electronically forwarded to Baltimore.   The Baltimore office has 60 days from initial receipt of your application from the other SS office that initially processed it (like Manila or online) to even open the application to begin review....I found that out about that 60 day tidbit of info when I applied for social security about 18 months ago and did some calls regarding my applications status.   But when the dust settled my application was approved and benefits began by the "benefits begin" date I requested....got the first check on time.

And if additional paperwork is required by the SSA like what happened in the OP's case the processing time can take longer because they must wait for the docs from the applicant, review them, and process them on to Baltimore.   But even if your desired benefits begin date has passed since your application hasn't been approved yet, once approved the SSA will provide up to 6 months retroactive benefit payments "from your application date"...not your desired benefits begin date.   So, from the SSA view point a delay in approval has no to little impact on payment to the applicant....yes, yes, I know if the applicant really needed the first benefit payment to arrive/begin on a certain date that is an impact to the individual....no argument there.    Just more reason to be sure to start the application process early and provide any additional docs required as soon as possible.

If using Manila and you want your benefit to begin 1 Feb 19 which means the first check would occur in Mar 19, then be sure to submit your application with Manila 3 months before.  But keep in mind you just don't get that telephone interview at the 3 month point if you contact Manila at the 3 month 1 day before because Manila support applications from approx 50 (fifty) countries, have a small staff, and must schedule the telephone interview. 

Summary: Manila be busy.  Recommend you make that initial contact with Manila at the 4 month before your desired benefits begin point with specific info on yourself such as name, address, social security number, desired benefits begin date.   You'll probably get an automated reply like below...and then X-days later get a response from the staff member which will handle your application.  And above all don't expect just because you send an email to a specific staff member today that tomorrow or the next day they will respond....it may be longer or even not at all depending on the situation.  From my own application, a friend I helped last year, and a person I'm helping right now I've found Manila responsiveness to range from fast to very slow even for applications which are straight forth...no extra docs required.  But everyone's results will vary.

Recent Automated Response from Manila Social Security Office.

Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit. We will respond to your inquiry within five (5) business days. Please do not follow-up on your inquiry unless you have not received a response after five (5) business days.

Apply Online for Benefits it is fast and easy!

You can apply for the following benefits online:

1.     Retirement at http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm

2.     Disability at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability

3.     Medicare Only at http://www.ssa.gov/medicareonly

At this time, no other online services are available outside the United States.

The online hours of operation are:

*         Weekdays 5 AM - 1 AM Eastern Time (ET)

*         Saturday 5 AM - 11 PM ET

*         Sunday 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET

*         Holidays 5 AM - 1 AM ET

Form SSA-7161-OCR-SM or Form SSA-7162-OCR-SM (Report to the United States Social Security Administration)

The form is sent from Wilkes-Barre, PA and must be completed regularly by all beneficiaries or their representative payees.

*         Beneficiaries with addresses in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, or APO/FPO/DPO receive the form every two years.

*         Beneficiaries in countries not mentioned above, and all beneficiaries who have a representative payee, receive the form every year.

The form is mailed beginning May 15th and a follow-up letter is mailed beginning September 15th. If the completed form is not received in Wilkes-Barre, PA by the end of the year, benefits are suspended beginning with the February payment of the following year.

To avoid the suspension of your benefits, complete the form as soon as you receive it, and mail it back to Wilkes-Barre, PA using the enclosed business reply envelope. Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

IMPORTANT: If you do not receive the form by November, contact us right away.

Sincerely,

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Embassy of the United States of America  |  Manila, Philippines

Tel: (+ 63 2) 301-2000 option 9 

http://manila.usembassy.gov

Find us online at www.ssa.gov

I applied on-line, then got an email from a guy in Baltimore to set up a telephone interview, which took a few minutes, albeit at 2:45 AM. The whole process took fewer than 10 days.

I did not see any involvement of Manila, although I did contact them to get a 1099, which they emailed to me in a day or so.

There's a worksheet/guidelines so you can prepare.

Shockingly quick, professional, efficient, IME.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2018 at 9:13 AM, mtls2005 said:

I applied on-line, then got an email from a guy in Baltimore to set up a telephone interview, which took a few minutes, albeit at 2:45 AM. The whole process took fewer than 10 days.

I did not see any involvement of Manila, although I did contact them to get a 1099, which they emailed to me in a day or so.

There's a worksheet/guidelines so you can prepare.

Shockingly quick, professional, efficient, IME.

When you applied on-line, did you list a U.S. or Thai address?  You're suppose to list your physical address, ie. Thailand if that's where you're living, but can specify that your payment is deposited to a U.S. bank if that's what you'd like.

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

When you applied on-line, did you list a U.S. or Thai address?  You're suppose to list your physical address, ie. Thailand if that's where you're living, but can specify that your payment is deposited to a U.S. bank if that's what you'd like.

I listed my Thai address, which is where I am living and used a U.S. bank for direct deposit.

I had read all the prep. info and was ready to go when I applied on-line. Again, quite easy, simple, straight-forward. Arranging the telephone interview was fine, I have several U.S. numbers which ring through to here, so easy for me.

35 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I listed my Thai address, which is where I am living and used a U.S. bank for direct deposit.

I had read all the prep. info and was ready to go when I applied on-line. Again, quite easy, simple, straight-forward. Arranging the telephone interview was fine, I have several U.S. numbers which ring through to here, so easy for me.

Thanks for the insights... getting ready to file for SS as well.  However,  I will be in the states soon, thus wonder if it is better to do file in the US ?    Suggestion?

13 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thanks for the insights... getting ready to file for SS as well.  However,  I will be in the states soon, thus wonder if it is better to do file in the US ?    Suggestion?

In the states, once you set it up and have your payments direct deposited into a US bank account you probably will not have to deal with them again

12 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

In the states, once you set it up and have your payments direct deposited into a US bank account you probably will not have to deal with them again

However, if you become resident in Thailand, you should report your address change to SS, even if you want to continue to receive payment to your U.S. bank account.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, Rhys said:

My thoughts exactly.  I'm still a few years away.  But when my time comes, I'm thinking of just going to a SS office in the US and applying in person.  Also thinking about setting up a direct deposit with a US bank, for further transfer to my Thai bank as required.  If anyone else has done in person, would like to hear your experiences.  Can you cut through all the bureaucracy by doing it in person?  

Just now, Berkshire said:

My thoughts exactly.  I'm still a few years away.  But when my time comes, I'm thinking of just going to a SS office in the US and applying in person.  Also thinking about setting up a direct deposit with a US bank, for further transfer to my Thai bank as required.  If anyone else has done in person, would like to hear your experiences.  Can you cut through all the bureaucracy by doing it in person?  

It's so easy to do here in Thailand with SS Manila, I don't know why anyone would make a special trip to the U.S. just to apply for SS.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, NancyL said:

It's so easy to do here in Thailand with SS Manila, I don't know why anyone would make a special trip to the U.S. just to apply for SS.

That too is what I had heard from several others who've gone through Manila.  But the OP is suggesting otherwise.  I honestly don't mind visiting the US for a few days if I could expedite things and get some peace of mind. 

14 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

That too is what I had heard from several others who've gone through Manila.  But the OP is suggesting otherwise.  I honestly don't mind visiting the US for a few days if I could expedite things and get some peace of mind. 

The OP's situation is somewhat out of the norm.  He is planning to continue to work in Thailand after he starts his SS and additional documents had to be submitted to SS about whether he'd be contributing to a Thai retirement scheme.  If your situation is more straightforward, then SS Manila can get things going very easily.

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

However, if you become resident in Thailand, you should report your address change to SS, even if you want to continue to receive payment to your U.S. bank account.

Also by reporting your address change you will the get on the annual "are you still alive" letter system from Social Security.    Something I never have to deal with since I maintain a US physical address 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, mtls2005 said:

From Thailand I applied online 12 June to initiate my retirement benefit. I provided my Thai address and a US bank account. Within a day I received from the SSA that my application had been received, had been assigned to the Baltimore office, and within 30 days I should receive a letter with their decision or request for more info.

As of this writing, no other communication has been received from either Baltimore or the Philippine offices. 

I submitted my on line application on the 14th. It didn't list Thailand as a selection under direct deposit banking  countries, so banking was no addressed.

Funny thing is that when I hit submit, I got a screen that said the "application has not been submitted." So I tried to call the Manila and international as well as the US phone numbers...got recordings all 3 times...left a message with Manila. I then sent Manila an e-mail...still awaiting a reply to the voice message as well as the e-mail.

Then, later the same day, I received an e-mail from Baltimore that they had received the application and that a representative "may call." No time frame given. So I have been carrying around my phone like an addict carries around his needle & spoon awaiting the call. 10 days and still no contact.

I send SSA Manila an email on June 12 and didn't receive a reply, so I resent it on June 21, with a subject header of "2nd request: ......" ahead of the original subject heading.  I received a reply from a real person within 24 hours, asking to set up a specific time for a phone call.  I've encountered this before, that a "2nd request" email is often needed.

My personal experience. I emailed my intention to apply for benefits end of may 2018 and got a reply in a couple days saying another person would be getting back with me SOON. Fast forward a month and half and ten emails requesting a reply the new person set up a date, june 3rd at 10am, to contact me direct on the phone. 9;59 she calls asks a few incoherent questions and says I need to fedx her my certified birth certificate, passport and online form. Good thing she said my benefits would be retroactive to june 1st which is the earliest date I could receive as I was born april 56'. Waiting on my birth certificate, not thrilled about coming off my passport but the only alternative is a trip to BKK to get a certified copy which amounts to the same if it were to come up missing and I had to have it replaced. She claimed all docs returned in 5 days. Sure you will!  Anyway not to bad, better than expected and I can have the funds deposited anywhere I wish. Honestly not too many countries would allow this to happen without returning home.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, Langsuan Man said:

Also by reporting your address change you will the get on the annual "are you still alive" letter system from Social Security.    Something I never have to deal with since I maintain a US physical address 

Do I need to send my letter informing them I am dead certified mail?

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

I send SSA Manila an email on June 12 and didn't receive a reply, so I resent it on June 21, with a subject header of "2nd request: ......" ahead of the original subject heading.  I received a reply from a real person within 24 hours, asking to set up a specific time for a phone call.  I've encountered this before, that a "2nd request" email is often needed.

NancyL ....Thanks for that. Good idea.

Also... Jazzdog says they wanted his passport, or a certified copy. What's up with that? I have never heard of that before. A certified copy of my birth certificate I have. I don't mind sending them that, but not my passport.

I think Jazzdog misunderstood about the "certified" copy of the passport.  An original birth certificate, yes, and it's not very difficult to order one online, but I think they just want a copy of the photo page of the passport that you've signed and dated, like when you do banking business.