smoked mackerel

Just now, Laza 45 said:

Do you check your blood pressure?

I do its fine, there really is a lot of information out on the benefits of salt for athletes especially those that sweat too much too little salt can be a real problem. Most people don't have that problem but that is the problem with general advice it does not apply to everyone. 

I also do blood tests once in a while to see if all my values are good, as I said I am health minded. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, robblok said:

Looks great, did you import a smoker (getting a smoker is not the problem i think) but getting a supply of wood shavings might be. I like to make sure i don't have to import too much. 

But well done on your effort looks good. 

Use coconut peeling for smoking. 

Put the mackerel in salty water for two hours first. 

I made a smoker from an old oil cannister and put it over an open fire. 

18 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

This scared the shit out of me so I googled and got to a Jakarta Post article. "Father Jack" brand imported from China..

I have 2 small tins of Sealect brand a week and nuke them so I should be OK.......I will check the labels for country of origin in the future..

Thanks very much..

Thinking along the same lines JJ. I don't know how phet/ron these worms can take but I recently started to make Mackeral curry using those Sealect tins , one tin and a sqirt of curry paste . Saying that if the fish is cooked in the cans to start with how come live worms , how revolting.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Ok found something in the Tops, not sure what it was but it is called Saba its mackerel species and i think it was smoked or baked it was actually quite ok. It was not expensive and I think i can eat it again.  It was pre prepared so not bad 89 bt or so. 

Our mini Big C out in the sticks has cooked Saba available ever day for around 45 baht they also had a large piece of cooked salmon last time I was there (never seen it there before) which was only 67  baht. Do Big C stores all carry the same selection of goods?

18 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Thinking along the same lines JJ. I don't know how phet/ron these worms can take but I recently started to make Mackeral curry using those Sealect tins , one tin and a sqirt of curry paste .

Ooooh!!!!...you have given me an idea...I think I still have some Waugh's curry powder somewhere....I might add a spoonful of that with my next tin...Thanks!!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Looks great, did you import a smoker (getting a smoker is not the problem i think) but getting a supply of wood shavings might be. I like to make sure i don't have to import too much. 

But well done on your effort looks good. 

The pair I had for breakfast were smoked using jackfruit twigs.

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Makro has plenty of Mackerel ,not smoked but,they have it from

Japan or Norway ,the Norwegian is better,you could get some of

that Liquid smoke,little bottles they sell in supermarkets.

Don't advise eating those small tins of local sardines,mackerel,as

i read a report from Indonesia the other day,where they tested 65

brands of tinned fish and all but 6 contained thread worms (live).

regards worgeordie

no that's another type of fish

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Makro has plenty of Mackerel ,not smoked but,they have it from

Japan or Norway ,the Norwegian is better,you could get some of

that Liquid smoke,little bottles they sell in supermarkets.

Don't advise eating those small tins of local sardines,mackerel,as

i read a report from Indonesia the other day,where they tested 65

brands of tinned fish and all but 6 contained thread worms (live).

regards worgeordie

Is it good for losing weight? 

I quite like the small mackerel the Thais eat which they call bplaa tuu.

They are sold in packs of 3 and are very distinctive because of their bent heads. They look as if they are bowing. I think that's because they are squeezed into a traditional wicker basket for steaming.

If you Google Thai Mackerel you'll find them. Wikipedia calls them short mackerel. 

18 hours ago, robblok said:

Ok found something in the Tops, not sure what it was but it is called Saba its mackerel species and i think it was smoked or baked it was actually quite ok. It was not expensive and I think i can eat it again.  It was pre prepared so not bad 89 bt or so. 

My wife and I eat Saba regularly. Its smoked mackeral already prepared. The norweigan import is about 89 baht and the local thai one (just as tasty usually) is 49 baht in max value supermarkets. Tesco started doing them cooked but they looked  a bit overdone and not as good.

I was going to mention saba in your thread but you beat me to it ? (the wife put me onto it as she orders it out a lot in Fuji and other places).

Its a nice meal, just watch for the bones I got one stuck in my throat once.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Is it good for losing weight? 

Losing weight is easy (in theory) eat less. Exercise is good for health but does not come close to eating (or drinking) less when its about losing weight. 

I am not sure if worms would be a good way of losing weight if your into semi dangerous ways to lose weight i know a few *LOL*

4 minutes ago, NightSky said:

My wife and I eat Saba regularly. Its smoked mackeral already prepared. The norweigan import is about 89 baht and the local thai one (just as tasty usually) is 49 baht in max value supermarkets. Tesco started doing them cooked but they looked  a bit overdone and not as good.

I was going to mention saba in your thread but you beat me to it ? (the wife put me onto it as she orders it out a lot in Fuji and other places).

Its a nice meal, just watch for the bones I got one stuck in my throat once.

By accident I just found them yesterday, I actually quite liked them. I am lucky to have a Makro, Tops, Big C and Tesco all close by. 

7 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Ooooh!!!!...you have given me an idea...I think I still have some Waugh's curry powder somewhere....I might add a spoonful of that with my next tin...Thanks!!

Yes JJ , a few mates up here make curry but no one had considered using a tin of Mackeral and of course it comes with sauce , must be the easiest curry to make. Hope it is a success for you.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:03 PM, robblok said:

Saba is the Japanese name for mackerel, so Saba=mackerel.

However there are a lot of species under the name mackerel.

Hello robblok

I have a question,noticed you mentioned supplementing calcium, magnesium & potassium.

I read elsewhere someone mentioning taking magnesium to fend off tiredness and stated in his case it worked.

I don`t work out myself and know nothing of nutrition really but can a shortfall of magnesium cause tiredness ?

Any downsides to taking it ?

Thanks.

Hey Robblok

I buy norwegian smoked mackerel from a fellow kaaskop in Chiang Mai at 110thb per piece

sends them vaccuum in packs of 5 and they are genuine tastefully.....yummy

PM me for the email...

On 5/29/2018 at 6:04 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

I've never looked that closely, but Villa might. They do sell kippers. 

I didn't know that ... I will be there tomorrow morning then ..............

On 5/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, robblok said:

Actually salted fish is what i needed, I have too little salt in my diet yesterday i suffered from the effects of it. I know the general advice  is not eating too much salt but that is for normal people. I take 2 20 kg weights in my hands and walk a bit more then 1500 meters with them. I sweat a lot then, also I don't eat any processed food and prepare all my own meals and by mistake (it was just not in my food choices) I ate too little salt. Yesterday that ment that i had to lie down after my exercise for an hour and lost power in brain and body for the whole day. After adding some salt to my food yesterday i improved a lot. So I know I need more salt. I workout 7 days  a week with those weights and then 4 more sessions in my gym. So I am not exactly the average person. If i were to eat loads of Thai food bought from shops then yes you would be right.

If you sweat that much I suspect that you may need to replace more than salt ...

30 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

If you sweat that much I suspect that you may need to replace more than salt ...

Of course that was clear to me from the start, calcium, magnesium, potassium. Those I already supplemented but I never thought about supplementing salt.

Archived