Money spent in Thailand per month?

Kiflin

I hope this is correct thread for this question.

I was wondering how much money would I need in Thailand per month.

Planned on going to Thailand in October 2018, still not sure, but if I would go, I would like to know how much money would I need.

Apartment for 250$ max.

Let's say 2 meals a day, could you eat bugs and stuff like that? I love them.

Could I live with 500$ monthly?

How much do you spend guys, can you say something about it ?

Can you live on $500 a month? You could survive on that, but I wouldn't call it living. The basic income requirement for a one year visa is 65k per month. That doesn't quite do it for me, but over half of that is rent/electric/water/Internet. 

However, backpackers do it all the time - living on a shoestring... but it's usually not permanent. It could be fun if you're still young and adventurous though. If you're coming for "love", you won't find much on a budget like that LOL.

• Like 2

yes, you can maintain existence on that,

living in a fan room, eating a bowl of rice when hunger overtakes you,

walking or take a bus.

but there is no money left for anything else.

i have met a backpacker that clearly made it on even less,

sharing a room with strangers, a public squat toilet,

not my cup of tea, hope you always keep enough to get a one way ticket back

from life in poverty

• Like 2

Define "Live".  Are you required to have medical insurance in your home country like many if not most USA citizens are, until they qualify for exemptions from the ACA?  Do you plan to buy medical insurance in Thailand, catastrophic or otherwise or self insure as they say?  Do you plan to rent a motorbike, get proper bike or travel accident insurance, get a proper Motorbike license in your home country?   Do you plan to get foot or oil massages with any regularity?  Do you plan to eat Western food often?  German food at Domicile, Sunday Carvery at any number of places, Full English Breakfast?  Any entertainment plans, take a girl out?   Do you like air conditioning?  Do you plan to travel around, visit water park, visit a place like Nong Nooch Garden, bus to other cities?  Internet or wifi fees?  Visa fees, visa runs, etc?   One can live and subsist, but enjoying can be a different thing.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Can you live with 500 USD monthly?

I did very well on $250 USD/month .  Little wooden house, no air or window screens or hot water.  A few light bulbs. No furniture aside from a bed.  An empty "kitchen" room with nothing in it - no sink, plumbing, appliances, nothing.  No hot water, just the water reservoir under the house for dip bath and a squat shitter.  I bought an electric fan and a one burner propane stove. I could well afford to go to BKK, drink a few beers and get a girl once a month or maybe twice (100 Baht went a long way...).  Put gas in my bike.  Saved up for my wedding party ($500 USD can buy a lot of food and booze.)

40 frikkin years ago, up country in Loei!  By the time I moved to BKK, I rented a standalone 3 room wooden house in a secure compound near Pratunam for $50 a month.  (It's now underneath the Palladium World shopping building on Petchaburi Rd.)

The way I figure it, I could go back to Loei and do OK on $2,000 USD per month.  But we own a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that is about 4 years old and the house next door.  I have relatives across the street and in town who have cars and motorcycles for transportation.

Due to having to go back to the UK every 9 month, I currently live on about $1150 a month - BUT that is for me and the wife and our 2 year old daughter. Rent is about $280 a month for 2 bed house (free communial pool), electric $60-70, water $8, internet $15-20. Everyone knows nappies and  milk aint cheap. We budget what s left over, but treat ourselves, cinema etc. We have little left at the end of the month. I have a pension at 55 next year which will give me $1000 a month, so that will make life far more comfortable  for a family.

I think you could 'survive; on $500 a month, but you would be pretty much housebound with the odd trip to the 7/11.

That said if you only want to use $500 as a amount for daily use excluding women and bars then its ok. But then you'd be adding about $1,000-2,000  a month for hookers if thats what you are into and single. 

As for eating bugs - you can eat the roaches in our kitchen for free if it helps any.

• Like 2

This really is the how long is a piece of string question.  It comes down to where you want to live, what sort of place you want to live in, your age, your habits, your (if any) social life.....and so on.

As others have said, you CAN live on less than $500 per month but there will be challenges and things like keeping o top of your visa will eat right in to such a small amount.

Personally, I would need at least 80,000 baht a month which my guess is would be about average for Westerners in Bangkok.  Some spend many multiples of that per month and may simply be unable or unwilling to live on less, while some live happily on less than 20,000 baht per month.  We're all different.

The one thing I will say about those living on less than 20,000 baht per month is that there's not much fat there for contingencies such as health issues, visas, desire to purchase new toys (laptop needs replacing etc.).

Well, here we go again.  It's all relative; depending on how little you can stand.  If you want to live counting each baht to get a mouthful; go for it, but don't get sick or get caught in some legal hassle. Heaven forbid, don't ever want to do something that may cost money. 

the  cost of living in thailand,can vary hugely,depending on lifestyle---im sure some people can live on 500us per mth, but to me that is "just existing", not living...

for me, i have surprised myself-i can now feed myself for under 10,000thb/mth,buying most euro foods at supermkts.

if i ate thai foods, it would be much less.if i go to restaurants daily, its dble 10,000.

the cost of living can vary hugely,depending on accom. cost eg 5,000-30,000thb/mth.

then there is insurance and transport costs---these can vary hugely..

the main variation would be --if drinking at bars with ladies-- 

this could be from 500thb per day---10,000+ per day, ore more if taking lady home....

for me, i go to bar 1 night pw--usually spend 4-5,000thb on drinks for myself and lady

$500 USD a month, I would say NO, contrary to what some have said here, this would be the life of a pauper in my opinion, I say that with respect as I know there are others in that situation for whatever reason.

On the top of your list, if you do not have money reserves, you should have private health insurance, skim on that and you are leaving yourself wide open, around $100 USD a month depending on age.

Rent can be cheap, depending on where you want to live.

Food is cheap, if you want to eat bottom of the chain food, me personally, food has always been a teaching to me from young, never skim on quality food, as you will live a healthier life !!!

What about trips back to your home country, you will need to put $100 USD aside a month for when you intend on going back.

Now without going further, according to my calculations, you are on a budget of $300 USD once you have taken those two items out, and you must include them because they will become part of your budget.

As a single bloke you will want to take women home, now if your young, that maybe free for a while, but sooner or later the girls will want some coins, it only natural, i.e. sometimes the machine gives out some freebies, but most times you have to insert the coins to get what you want.

You will live a miserable existence here on that kind of money.

My advise is, if your young, i.e. under 50, come and holiday, go back, work as much as you can to increase you income, reduce any overheads that you can, save your money, invest it and try it when you are 60 or even pension age depending on where you come from, because some countries make you go back to stay for a period like 2 years before they will allow you to take it back with you, i.e. portability.

If you do not believe what I am saying above, come on over, waste your time and what money you have and see where you will end up, life's a gamble for some, and we all know where gamblers end up. So be a planner and be patient, as patience and good planning delivers you the results you require.

From my experience, having worked hard, saved, invested and planned ahead, delivered me into retirement at 55 and no skimping here, I love this existence,.

There are no short cuts, unless your lucky enough to inherit something, of which I have not, super is 2 years away, that will be put aside as I don't need it, remember what I said, work, save, invest and plan, and when you get here, only invest as much as your prepared to lose, 10% should be your absolute maximum, always have a fall back position, and that 90% invested back in your home country should get you out of trouble.

Wise words, free advice, as the Thai's say, "up to you" take it or leave it, either way, best of luck in the LOS, just don't become another farang statistic, sadly many have taken to bungee jumping without the rope, or other actions to put them out of their misery ??‍?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Where we live we cannot buy kao soi or penang so we gave it a shot ourselves and I'm very happy with the results.

Brought 2kg of mangoes for 30 baht today.

Our spend per month is 45k. 

It's been an eye opener making food at home. More cost effective than I realised and better results than I'm seeing at vendors. 

We spend 2k a month on petrol for motor and bike. 

I spend 39 baht a day on beer. 1 small Leo. 

I enjoy life but I get enjoyment out of simple stuff that families do. Getting an hour in a park every other day at 5pm with the family is my highlight.

Khao soi can be found at S&P which are everywhere. just sayin.

To be honest with you...

You should consider N. Korea, I understand they might open the border soon, or some under developed country in Africa perhaps.

Thailand is not cheap and is not really a 3rd world backpacker paradise anymore, (perhaps 40 years ago).

Your budget is about 25% minimum of what you will need here, also you need quite a lot of money if you are getting a retirement visa, you can't just come here as a tourist and decide to stay. only rich people can do that.

3 minutes ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

Just a quick question to people replying to this OP...

Why is everyone presuming this guy is coming here for sex?

Not "everyone" is presuming that though . 

I dont think that even anyone has presumed that 

I spend over $4,000 a month on basics including rent, electric, telephone, Food, golf. petrol, cleaner and my partner. They are basically the expenses i cannot escape from, or at least would not want to compromise. Obviously there are other regular and irregular expenditures left out which would probably take my average expenditure close to $5,000 per month. I don't feel even at that level i am leading a particularly extravagant lifestyle, just leading a life commensurate with what i would have in the home country.  I know many other farang who would be spending far more than that especially factoring school children.

I live in the center of Bangkok and i presume as you move away from Bangkok and other major cities you expenditure would generally decrease due to reduced prices and probably less to spend your money on. I am sure as i get older and possibly move away from BKK and retire that my expenditure will reduce dramatically possibly to around the 50,000 THB per month mark excluding rent. Like anywhere you can live on a tiny tiny amount if you really want to or need to, but as others have alluded to, expectations from person to person vary massively as do lifestyle choices and activities. There is no accurate figure for this.

• Like 2