Thai IDs for Foreigners and their beneifts

Patriot

(But what if the Police challenge you to produce a passport despite having the pink ID card ?...as the ID card does not show when you entered the kingdom, what visa you have and if you have overstayed ?...or am I wrong ?)

Pink ID card is fine and I only carry a photo copy of my passport and visa, laminated credit card size,

and police accepted it.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"have never been accepted for the items I listed, you and I actually have no argument."

Come back?..

Sorry, meant to say my D/L has never been accepted - they always insisted on a passport, until I got the ID card.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If anyone has successfully used it at Khao Yai please let me know - that would motivate me to get one as I live near it and have occasion to use that road.

Yes, I showed my pink card when I entered Khao Yai from the south on my way home to Kantharalak and was only charged the Thai price

4 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Yes, I showed my pink card when I entered Khao Yai from the south on my way home to Kantharalak and was only charged the Thai price

Great!  Will solve quite a problem, I'll get one.

For those nto familiar with the area - the road through Khao Yai links Saraburi/Korat area to Prachinburi/Nakhon Nayok area  and the only alternatives are quite far away (as in, an extra hour's travel time). For Thais the fact that using it entails a park fee is no big issue but to pay the foreigner 400 baht just to use the road is pretty stiff.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Got me into the Hot Springs National Pk, at Fang for 50 baht instead of 500 baht, so aready having a cost of obtaining it at 6O baht, I'm well ahead.

Have used at Resorts for check in.Its a novelty. Majority of Thais have never seen it or been aware of .Obviously the rulers didnt explain to  Thais what they were doing issuing it.

It also has my blood group and finger prints for ID in case of an accident.

Of course if you change address  you start the process of getting one over again.

When I moved from Phuket I went to the local Amphur and said I was moving to Sisaket and they filled out a form which I gave to the Amphur I was moving into and they just made a new yellow book to me, the only extra I handed over was a copy of my passport and my wife should show her blue house book.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

As I have already said, the post office in Pattaya refused my pink card.

Possibly because you had written your name in English script and the Pink ID card is only in Thai. I have been refused boarding for that reason before. It shouldn't be an issue, but as other posters have mentioned, actually very few Thais know about this card, not least as it is more about providing provide a form of ID for migrant workers (who may only have documentation in their home language) rather than as an ID for farang.

19 minutes ago, perconrad said:

When I moved from Phuket I went to the local Amphur and said I was moving to Sisaket and they filled out a form which I gave to the Amphur I was moving into and they just made a new yellow book to me, the only extra I handed over was a copy of my passport and my wife should show her blue house book.

Once you gone through the hoops at the local Amphur, and have been issued with a national identification number (starting with 6- for foreigners) by the Thai government, the process of transferring registration from province to province should in theory (in theory, I would emphasise!!) be no more onerous than for a Thai person changing their house registration

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

One thing you forgot to mention when getting the yellow book Peterw42, the amount of paperwork, witnesses and time waiting to get it....lol, but its a one off, not like immigration every year, same bundle of paperwork.

Depends were you get it, some people tell stories of going to the ampher for another matter and walking out with a yellow book/pink ID. But yes, usually lots of paperwork and time.

I was denied the thai price at Phanom Rung temple, and was told the pink ID won't get me the thai price at any "historical park". It might just be a stupid decision by the local office though, hard to tell.

I was able to get the thai price at several national parks though.

29 minutes ago, roath said:

Once you gone through the hoops at the local Amphur, and have been issued with a national identification number (starting with 6- for foreigners) by the Thai government, the process of transferring registration from province to province should in theory (in theory, I would emphasise!!) be no more onerous than for a Thai person changing their house registration

The national identification number starting with 6 is for foreigners with long term residence. My number starts with 8, as this is for those with PR. When I got my PR 14 years ago no ID card was issued at all. This pink ID card is a fairly recent development. When I first applied for it in Ubon five years ago, no one had a clue at the local city council about such a card. However, I got one in the end. And it is great. It also is for life.

11 minutes ago, moana said:

I was denied the thai price at Phanom Rung temple, and was told the pink ID won't get me the thai price at all historical parks. It might just be a stupid decision by the local office though, hard to tell.

I was able to get the Thai price at several national parks though.

Afaik the official rule is only Thai nationals get the Thai price, all others pay the foreigner price. How much this is enforced depends on the place, some are very strict, some less. A few years ago it was common to get the Thai price by just showing a Thai driving license, today this does hardly work anymore.

1 minute ago, Michael Hare said:

The national identification number starting with 6 is for foreigners with long term residence. My number starts with 8, as this is for those with PR. When I got my PR 14 years ago no ID card was issued at all. This pink ID card is a fairly recent development. When I first applied for it in Ubon five years ago, no one had a clue at the local city council about such a card. However, I got one in the end. And it is great. It also is for life.

Well done for getting PR. Yes, I should have mentioned that the number for foreigners with PR does change.

Is your card for life as normally photo ID cards are only issued (even to Thai nationals) with only 10 years validity?

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the official rule is only Thai nationals get the Thai price, all others pay the foreigner price. How much this is enforced depends on the place, some are very strict, some less. A few years ago it was common to get the Thai price by just showing a Thai driving license, today this does hardly work anymore.

I got the Thai price for showing the Pink ID at a National Park in Lamphun. My friend who had a Work Permit with him had to pay farang price. No idea why the difference but anyway

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I also was considering the Pink ID card just to avoid hangling my passport around.

But what if the Police challenge you to produce a passport despite having the pink ID card ?...as the ID card does not show when you entered the kingdom, what visa you have and if you have overstayed ?...or am I wrong ?

If you have a pink ID card. The police will always accept it  instead of a passport. Banks have always required a passport for any transactions but will now accept a pink card. In most cases using the pink card will get you in the  parks and other places at the Thai price.  But what it really means is that it replaces your passport, for most uses in Thailand. You can put it in your wallet and keep your passport in a safe place at home. It also had another good use since it has your name and address on it and is, therefore, proof of residence for any purpose.

40 minutes ago, roath said:

Well done for getting PR. Yes, I should have mentioned that the number for foreigners with PR does change.

Is your card for life as normally photo ID cards are only issued (even to Thai nationals) with only 10 years validity?

Getting a life ID comes with age. Thai nationals over the age of 60 have life IDs; those under 60 have IDs for ten years. As I am over 60, my ID is for life. I view Thai IDs frequently in my business with village farmers. Surprising, many IDs have expired because they forget to go in and renew them. Too much bother I think. 

Michael, did you stay in the same tambon when you moved house. I seem to remember when I acquired my yellow book a few years ago I was advised ( by whom I can’t remember) that if one remains in the same tambon then renewing the yellow book is not essential????

52 minutes ago, gamini said:

If you have a pink ID card. The police will always accept it  instead of a passport. Banks have always required a passport for any transactions but will now accept a pink card. In most cases using the pink card will get you in the  parks and other places at the Thai price.  But what it really means is that it replaces your passport, for most uses in Thailand. You can put it in your wallet and keep your passport in a safe place at home. It also had another good use since it has your name and address on it and is, therefore, proof of residence for any purpose.

"But what it really means is that it replaces your passport, for most uses in Thailand. You can put it in your wallet and keep your passport in a safe place at home. It also had another good use since it has your name and address on it and is, therefore, proof of residence for any purpose."

Not sure that it categorically 'replaces your passport'.

Budget airline once refused to accept my pink card at airline  check-in and another time to board an aircraft (domestic flight). 

55 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Michael, did you stay in the same tambon when you moved house. I seem to remember when I acquired my yellow book a few years ago I was advised ( by whom I can’t remember) that if one remains in the same tambon then renewing the yellow book is not essential????

Patriot, I moved to a different tambon. From tambon Muang to tambon Charamae. I also do not have a yellow house registration book. Because of my PR, I am in wife's blue house registration book. Actually, I have never seen a yellow book. Years ago when Thais did not have a book they had these large F4 sheets of paper for house registration. I believe I was the first to get the "farang" house registration in Ubon in 1999. This was called a temporary house registration. Same large F4 size but a lighter blue colour. Once I got PR in 2004, I moved straight into my wife's blue house registration book. I think the yellow books came in about 2005-6 or thereabouts. 

It seems reading most of the comments here then the pink id is more exceptable than it was when i got mine about 18 months ago, then there was hardly a good word said about it, can't comment one way or another yet as i have'nt used mine, but it sounds more encouraging! 

4 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

It seems reading most of the comments here then the pink id is more exceptable than it was when i got mine about 18 months ago, then there was hardly a good word said about it, can't comment one way or another yet as i have'nt used mine, but it sounds more encouraging! 

Well the card itself hasn't changed.

The negatives, as some would possibly see the situation:

- The holders name is in Thai script, not English.

- On the back it says the holder cannot go more than 30 / 40 (can't t remember which) away from issuing office.

I've had, within the last 12 months:

- Refusal to accept the card at airline check-in, and separately,

- Refusal to accept at the boarding gate.

I've seen another comment, different forum, where farang tried to use it to open a bank account but wanted the account name / name in bank pass book to be in English, bank refused that and said yes to opening the account but in Thai script.

17 hours ago, roath said:

hi  ...can you get a pink card if you own a condo , and i only  have a blue coloured registration book......  is the  yellow book just for houses?

34 minutes ago, daytraderuk99 said:

hi  ...can you get a pink card if you own a condo , and i only  have a blue coloured registration book......  is the  yellow book just for houses?

You certainly can get a Pink ID card with the blue registration book. 

30 minutes ago, daytraderuk99 said:

You certainly can get a Pink ID card with the blue registration book. 

You cant get Pink ID using a only blue book, Pink ID is based on you being in a yellow book, the yellow book process generates you citizen number to go on the ID.

You can get a yellow book/ ID for a condo.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

- On the back it says the holder cannot go more than 30 / 40 (can't t remember which) away from issuing office.

The statement is a lost in translation thing, it basically says (or means) not transferable, if you move to another province you get another ID from that province.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well the card itself hasn't changed.

The negatives, as some would possibly see the situation:

- The holders name is in Thai script, not English.

I've had, within the last 12 months:

- Refusal to accept the card at airline check-in, and separately,

- Refusal to accept at the boarding gate.

I've seen another comment, different forum, where farang tried to use it to open a bank account but wanted the account name / name in bank pass book to be in English, bank refused that and said yes to opening the account but in Thai script.

I prefer having my name written in the Thai script. That way, Thai people can pronounce my name correctly Mr Michael Hare. Right every time. When it is written in English script they look at it and say Mr Michelle Haa-ree. Wrong every time.

When I got my first five year smart card driving licence seven years ago my name was written in Thai script in the first box ( which has the issue date and expiry date in Thai) and my Pink ID number printed in. Three years ago when I renewed it for another five years they printed my name in English script in both boxes and refused to put my ID number in. Instead my passport number went in. I asked why print my name in English in the Thai box. The reply "this is the law!" I also asked why put my passport number in because my passport expires in four months time and my new passport will have a new number whereas the ID card number is for life. Again, "all foreigners must have their passport number on their driving licence" was the reply.

I have investigated this further and found out that they are wrong and my ID card number should be there. Just a little thing. I will see what is written when I get my next five-year driving licence in 2020. 

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You cant get Pink ID using a only blue book, Pink ID is based on you being in a yellow book, the yellow book process generates you citizen number to go on the ID.

You can get a yellow book/ ID for a condo.

Excuse me Peter. I have a blue house registration book and a pink ID card. The pink ID card is for foreigners living here long-term. It can be issued for a holder of a blue registration book or a yellow registration book. Both books have one's citizen numbers. 

Excuse me Peter. I have a blue house registration book and a pink ID card. The pink ID card is for foreigners living here long-term. It can be issued for a holder of a blue registration book or a yellow registration book. Both books have one's citizen numbers. 

You must have  permanent residency, Unless you have permanent residency, you cant be in a blue book, blue book is for Thais only. For everyone else, they cant go in a blue book and therefore get a yellow book, and that process creates there ID number.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You must have  permanent residency, Unless you have permanent residency, you cant be in a blue book, blue book is for Thais only. For everyone else, they cant go in a blue book and therefore get a yellow book, and that process creates there ID number.

Yes I do have PR, but people that own a condo also have the blue book. The blue book is for the owner of the building, house or condo. It does not belong to a particular person. When you sell the house or condo the blue book is transferred to the new owner. Daytrader99 above must own his own condo and therefore has the legal ownership blue house registration book. If you read the forum on Thai visas etc you will find this information clearly written there. 

Archived