Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

If you think you are having it bad in Thailand rumour is the EU is going to put a 125% tax on Californian wines at the end of the month... ? 

It will still be cheaper in the EU than in Thailand even if this did happen.

I can't wait for President Trump to turn his attention to Thailand, the government have already asked him for 'mercy' they know what's coming....

Edited by ukrules

I bought 5 litres of Mont Clair for a tad over 1000 baht, there are nearly 7 bottles in a 5 litre box, which would work out at about 150 baht a bottle. When I look at it that way, I find it quite drinkable.
Where's the 5ltr box sold, I've been to all the supermarkets and only seen the 3ltr box for about 1100bht.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The price of unadulterated (fruit juice free) wine in Thailand is far too high. I just go without. When I visit Vietnam I buy a 5 litre box of reasonable quality 13% Chilean red or white for the equivalent of 560 baht. The difference in price between the two countries is called GREED.
Like all imported goods that foreigners like it gets taxed to ell. I go to Cambodia regular and buy there.

55 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

Where's the 5ltr box sold, I've been to all the supermarkets and only seen the 3ltr box for about 1100bht.

It's been mentioned by various repliers, I bought mine from a sort of a Thai Off Licence, it is old stock they are selling. But be careful, it has been stated that if the wine is over 6 months old it may not be top notch, but because it is in a box there is little chance of being corked.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

It's been mentioned by various repliers, I bought mine from a sort of a Thai Off Licence, it is old stock they are selling. But be careful, it has been stated that if the wine is over 6 months old it may not be top notch, but because it is in a box there is little chance of being corked.

There's very little chance of this boxed wine being 'top notch' even if it come directly from wherever they make it.

I just came back from Tesco Lotus, Mont clair - 1,119 Baht for a 3 liter box. LOL

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There's very little chance of this boxed wine being 'top notch' even if it come directly from wherever they make it.

I just came back from Tesco Lotus, Mont clair - 1,119 Baht for a 3 liter box. LOL

I've just had a quick look on the Tesco home site, Peter Vella 4L 799baht, Cedar Creek 4.5L 925baht. I've tried the Peter Vella before and thought it ok, what is the Cedar Creek like? Bearing in mind I am not a connor sewer.

30 minutes ago, vogie said:

Thanks for replying..

I bought 10 litres last Thursday which left only one on the shelf... I shall go back Friday and see if it is still there..Albeit 9 months old...

1 minute ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Thanks for replying..

I bought 10 litres last Thursday which left only one on the shelf... I shall go back Friday and see if it is still there..Albeit 9 months old...

It has been mentioned if the box starts or has started to swell and starts to look like a football, you may have problems.??

3 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I have a few sips of the 10 litres left and it seemed OK.....But you have described my stomach quite accurately though...

Does the Peter Vella 4L 799baht, Cedar Creek 4.5L 925baht. seem to be value for money, it seems quite reasonable to me?

Just now, vogie said:

Does the Peter Vella 4L 799baht, Cedar Creek 4.5L 925baht. seem to be value for money, it seems quite reasonable to me?

Yep.

I am not a fan of PV - It tastes like communion wine to me but I mentioned the CC either earlier in this thread or in another one and it is what I intend to try next...

I have vague memories of once confusing cedar creek and castle creek and wasn't too happy with it.... but desperation may change that opinion.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I seem to recall seeing an article which suggested that these wines COULD last up to 2 yrs in the cask if treated correctly.

Personally and IMO a year would be ok, but as others have said watch out for bloated/expanded casks...……….avoid completely.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I seem to recall seeing an article which suggested that these wines COULD last up to 2 yrs in the cask if treated correctly.

I think it has something to do with the bag itself...I have fondled a few bags in my time and consider MC bags thicker and more durable ... lets see what tomorrow brings anyways..

On 6/11/2018 at 10:28 PM, The manic said:

Thank goodness wine is so easy to make.  Using organic grape juice and named yeasts its possible to get great results.

You can't  buy any ingredients for making  wine or brewing beer in Thailand, it's illegal, my wife used to make rice wine (saki), very much an under cover operation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

You can't  buy any ingredients for making  wine or brewing beer in Thailand, it's illegal, my wife used to make rice wine (saki), very much an under cover operation. 

You are totally wrong, there are quite a few homebrew shops in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Wow! I honestly thought it was illegal too!!

I have time on my hands and was quite successful at it in the 80s.

Where are they???

It is illegal, therefore cannot be discussed on TV, I will PM you with more info if that's ok.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Wow! I honestly thought it was illegal too!!

I have time on my hands and was quite successful at it in the 80s.

Where are they???

They are illegal. I think the fine for homebrewing is something like 300b. Quite the deterrance!

• Haha 1

Well this is just pathetic...Even the 3rd rate swill is getting to expensive to drink.....And wine making is looking better every day.....

I dont know if you guys remember the 20 year plan but it showed lots more tax increases for wine and spirits...

What to do? Each year I find myself drinking lower and lower grade wine..

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They are illegal. I think the fine for homebrewing is something like 300b. Quite the deterrance!

One of the most asked questions regarding home brewing in Thailand is 'IS IT LEGAL?'

In a nutshell 'NO'. It is illegal to home-brew alcohol whether it is fermented or distilled for personal consumption / sale.

***The law was updated in 2016. See below for details***

A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

This is a large increase to the 1950 liquors act which stated:

"Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquour, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and / or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

Source: Payoon Poolsuwan - Phuket Excise Office

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

One of the most asked questions regarding home brewing in Thailand is 'IS IT LEGAL?'

In a nutshell 'NO'. It is illegal to home-brew alcohol whether it is fermented or distilled for personal consumption / sale.

***The law was updated in 2016. See below for details***

A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

This is a large increase to the 1950 liquors act which stated:

"Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquour, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and / or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

Source: Payoon Poolsuwan - Phuket Excise Office

Right, been updated, thanks. No surprise the usurpers are intent on making life miserable for all. May they rot in hell.

• Haha 2