Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

Brew pubs for consumption on premises are legal, they put a meter on the tap and tax that, but they don't allow bottling or taking home of the beer.

Even brew pubs has a minimum size of 100,000 Litre per year, so you can't have just some homebrew kit behind the bar

Brewery licence for bottling is only considered for operation with more than 10 million litre per year, no western craft beers brewery even makes that much, so most of the Thai craft and smaller brewers set up their operation in Cambodia and import their stuff in, dealing with import and excise taxes is easier than getting through red tape to set up breweries in Thailand. It is clear that the law only protects interest of the big brewers which there's only a couple in Thailand, who also owns the Lao Khao/Thai Whisky-rum distilleries. 

The law seems more lenient on small scale wine production, you can see some local Thai wines and fruit wines around, most of the wineries are owned by Hi-Sos Thais plus there's no big Thai wine producers to compete with unlike beers and whisky 

Ingredients like yeast and hops are not illegal to sell and own, otherwise bakeries would be out of business.

• Like 1

Some craft breweries/pubs in Bangkok do sell 'illegal' homebrews, some would even say which of the wares are 'legal' imported from cambodia or the ones made in house, some do get raided but the risk is low mostly.

5 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Some craft breweries/pubs in Bangkok do sell 'illegal' homebrews, some would even say which of the wares are 'legal' imported from cambodia or the ones made in house, some do get raided but the risk is low mostly.

The homebrew shops in Thailand are legal, restaurants can apply for a homebrew licence to make their own beer etc, they can only sell their brews on their premises though. There are many real ales being made in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower: 200 baht for making it

So I could make my own wine over a long period of time and if the BIB ever found out I could be fined 200 baht! 

Weigh up the odds folks...…………...

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

So I could make my own wine over a long period of time and if the BIB ever found out I could be fined 200 baht! 

Weigh up the odds folks...…………...

Kerching, win win.

19 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Anybody know what would happen bringing in brew kits at suvarnabhumi from UK??

Then buy the bottles here..

Reminds me of my days in Libya working in the Sahara desert, where no booze was allowed so we made our own.

The guys that really knew what they were doing, operated the still and made "white lightning" which was just about 100% proof alcohol and very potent.

Others made beer and to enable them to do that we had to bring the kits into the country, however the home brewed beer kits always had alcohol pictured on the labels, so they were confiscated at Libyan customs.

So we used to steam the labels off back home and put all sorts of other strange label on to fool the customs, which wasn't too hard, but I bet they wondered why so many expats were bringing in tins of peas, Campbell's soups, baked beans and just about anything else you could think of.

In the end they got wise to it, but where there's a will there's a way.......and one inquisitive expat discovered that in the local store you could buy tins of malt (for health reasons I suppose) so we used to purchase stacks of that and also use the yeast and sugar from the bakery which was situated in a small oasis near the camp in which we worked. 

Problem solved.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 5:00 PM, digbeth said:

There are now newish cheap end brands that has fully imported no-fruit juice (non-orange tax lable) wines from Australia and France that works out at sub 300 baht per bottle, some even have big 2 litre size bottle too, works out cheaper than the likes of Mont Claire now

Looks like the wines with fruitjuice loopholes is closed for good

Still wondering if Thai authorities will consider wine with added 'grape juice' as one of the fruit wine category ?

Hi

Could you please point me to cheaper end wines please. Where to buy and names. Thank you kindly. MS>

• Like 1

Digbeth said: "There are now newish cheap end brands that has fully imported no-fruit juice (non-orange tax lable) wines from Australia and France that works out at sub 300 baht per bottle, some even have big 2 litre size bottle too, works out cheaper than the likes of Mont Claire now...….."

I think you will find that they have fruit juice added in their country of origin, but happy to be proven wrong!

Edited by xylophone

I suppose this really upsets heavy consumers. Buying only one bottle every 1 to 2 months, I don't mind paying 600 - 1000 baht per bottle.

Which leads to a very good way to balance the extra cost and not get overly upset. For example, if the cost of good wines increased to say 25%, cut down on consumption by 25% and break even. Just buy the good stuff and cut back a bit. The most important thing is to stop being too stressed over this because drinking wine should be a relaxing and pleasurable experience. 

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I suppose this really upsets heavy consumers. Buying only one bottle every 1 to 2 months, I don't mind paying 600 - 1000 baht per bottle.

Which leads to a very good way to balance the extra cost and not get overly upset. For example, if the cost of good wines increased to say 25%, cut down on consumption by 25% and break even. Just buy the good stuff and cut back a bit. The most important thing is to stop being too stressed over this because drinking wine should be a relaxing and pleasurable experience. 

That's like saying just relax when somebody is twiddling in the little finger into your arse, followed by the whole arm. Fight the powwah, Homer! The line must be drawn somewhere, preferably in red wine ?

• Like 1

Judging by the lack of choice in shops now the sale of wine has nose dived. It will continue as long as there is this ridiculous high tax is in place. I have cut back from 2-3 bottles a week to one now.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I bought another 5 litres of old stock today at 1005 baht. As there was only one left on the shelf (again) I asked if it was the last one. "Mee yeu yeu" was the reply...When asked how "yeu" they said 5 large boxes. I guess that each large box must contain at least 12 x 5 litre boxes = 60 ...

If anything, this one tastes smoother with a more fruity taste......but I've only drank a litre so far ......and no sign of bloating from myself nor the bag...

Foreigners, the main consumers of wine are an easy target.Casks have almost disappeared from Rimping ,Tesco etc.

The stupidity really is that Thailand could have a great wine industry employing 1,000's but they can't see the wood for the trees.

I know those,experinced Aus wine growers, who have tried to do joint ventures,spent a lot of money coming here,presentations ,meetings etc and at the end of the day were told "we know what we are doing" yes making krap fruit wines full of sugar.

• Like 1

I remember a joke from 40 years ago in New Zealand, when their wine industry was just taking off.

"Real men don't drink anything that comes on stilts".

Maybe the military concider themselves real men?

And didn't Taksin (like the other hiso) like to drink wine?

Sweet revenge.

You may call this a conspiracy theory, but....

22 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I remember a joke from 40 years ago in New Zealand, when their wine industry was just taking off.

"Real men don't drink anything that comes on stilts".

Maybe the military concider themselves real men?

And didn't Taksin (like the other hiso) like to drink wine?

Sweet revenge.

You may call this a conspiracy theory, but....

Yes its a conspiracy theory because the hi so's have so much money they won't care its the poor farang wine drinkers who care.  (poor compared to the real hi so's)

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes its a conspiracy theory because the hi so's have so much money they won't care its the poor farang wine drinkers who care.  (poor compared to the real hi so's)

Maybe it is not about money, but about the principle? 555

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's like saying just relax when somebody is twiddling in the little finger into your arse, followed by the whole arm. Fight the powwah, Homer! The line must be drawn somewhere, preferably in red wine ?

The facts are that the price of wine has increased and there's nothing you can do about it. Endlessly whining about it on Thaivisa won't change a thing.

If the additional cost is beyond you, then cutting back is the only option. If you want to cut it out entirely on some ridiculous quest to "fight the powwah", then go ahead. You'll never be drinking wine again.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Maybe it is not about money, but about the principle? 555

Yeah, stop drinking wine out of principle. 5555555

No one will be the slightest bit concerned about your abstinence. Most of the wine I see in top retailer's cellars is expensive anyway - definitely not for table wine consumers.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Yes it does. Lifts my mood. TVF is the garbage dump of frustrations.

Fair enough. I must get down to the store and buy an expensive bottle of red wine. All this talk about red wine is making me thirsty.?

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Fair enough. I must get down to the store and buy an expensive bottle of red wine. All this talk about red wine is making me thirsty.?

Way ahead of you there. I shall consume it with a pipette, so as to not bust my budget.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

The facts are that the price of wine has increased and there's nothing you can do about it.

Always remember "If the mountain won't come to Mohamid, Mohamid must go to the mountain"

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

Endlessly whining about it on Thaivisa won't change a thing.

Whining about it, see what you did there, very clever.