Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

It seems as if I was wrong, so my apologies domdom!!

I checked on the bottles at my Big C and there is no mention of "fruit wine" anywhere on the bottle, whereas there are mentions on just about all of the other Siam Winery products, as well as other imported brands.

I don't think you were wrong, they simple scrupulous removed it from the new 2 liter bottles.

These pictures were taken today at Big C

1014808325_20180905_182320(Large).jpg.b24e11b981cbf0aabf4b1c1c00f165d4.jpg1484090180_20180905_182315(Large).jpg.a55e13823a1743faebde3e3f9eecc674.jpg

Edited by janclaes47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I don't think you were wrong, they simple scrupulous removed it from the new 2 liter bottles.

These pictures were taken today at Big C

1014808325_20180905_182320(Large).jpg.b24e11b981cbf0aabf4b1c1c00f165d4.jpg1484090180_20180905_182315(Large).jpg.a55e13823a1743faebde3e3f9eecc674.jpg

As I said I thought they used to have it on the label BUT those 2 litre bottles I looked at today had nothing where your pic shows the words Fruit Wine!!!!

Can't believe they would deliberately remove that/leave it off as it is against the generally accepted and international rules governing the labelling of wine(s).

If it is true then it is a disgraceful exercise in deception...……..but then again, they are Siam Winery and TIT. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As I said I thought they used to have it on the label BUT those 2 litre bottles I looked at today had nothing where your pic shows the words Fruit Wine!!!!

Can't believe they would deliberately remove that/leave it off as it is against the generally accepted and international rules governing the labelling of wine(s).

If it is true then it is a disgraceful exercise in deception...……..but then again, they are Siam Winery and TIT. 

Like I said, even Mont Clair is now called wine on their website, and we all know what that one actually is

image.png.0b918787a7c406bb94aad22a4ea1df85.png

9 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

And look what it says on their website about the 2L smooth red

https://www.worldofwines.co.th/en/our-wines/_our-wines-products/finca/_product-list/smooth-red-2l

image.png.fb844acec01cca48c3561c1af88674b9.png

I can't believe they would pull such a stunt as leaving the words Fruit Wine off their labels. As for the description, well to my knowledge it has always been described thus or similar!!

I remember at one time (early on) they showed a photograph of a row of vines in South Africa with a rather crudely produced sign in front of them saying...."Montclair Wine". This when articles were appearing in the press here stating that the wine was made from imported grape juice and mixed and fermented here with Hibiscus!

So it wasn't hard to figure out was going on but it still seems they fooled a lot of people, this because the "fruit wine" concoction/ruse wasn't known or understood here.

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Just today I looked at the 2 ltr bottles of Finca in Villa Market, and sure enough, no mention of fruit wine on these either!

Just now, xylophone said:

Just today I looked at the 2 ltr bottles of Finca in Villa Market, and sure enough, no mention of fruit wine on these either!

Yes because the 2L bottles is new stock, while the 0.75L are stock from before the tax increase.

If I understand the code on the bottles correctly, one is from 04/2017 and the other 04/2016

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, janclaes47 said:

Yes because the 2L bottles is new stock, while the 0.75L are stock from before the tax increase.

If I understand the code on the bottles correctly, one is from 04/2017 and the other 04/2016

This whole thing is becoming a farce, or to quote, "curiouser and curiouser".

The 3 L boxes of Montclair I saw in Tesco Lotus a couple of days ago had the words "Fruit Wine Celebration" somewhere in the description, but not significant enough to be noticed if one was looking in the usual places.

Then I noticed the plastic washing-up liquid containers containing Montclair had something along the lines of "Celebration Fruity" also in the marketing blurb, and not where you would really look for it.

It's quite obvious they are trying to pull a fast one with this slack description of the product and someone should hold them to account.

Another poster suggested that the change was because the tax regime had changed, however that should have no bearing on the true description of what the wine consists of – – two separate things entirely.

I suppose it bears out what we all know about Thailand; if you've got the money, the power and the contacts, you can do just about anything you wish here.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

Leaving for the UK on Wednesday with wifey for an exotic 3 week holiday but on the way out as it were,  I spotted this cheap bottle of Australian white in Tops for a snip at 199 baht. Cheapest I've seen so far and not too bad.

Obviously from the lower slopes ,

possibly subterranean , but beggars can't be choosers. If I don't wake up in ITU tomorrow I'd say it was a good deal. Starve the lizards I would.

P_20180910_204911.jpg

P_20180910_204921.jpg

P_20180910_205034.jpg

26 minutes ago, morrobay said:

yes but a cheap red wine is a lot more drinkable than a cheap white wine. 

Usually I would agree but in this case a cheap red wine at a similar price is very difficult to find.

Take for example those cheap Thai reds by Lakeside ( or lake something or other ). Tried them all  and now that Hitler , Stalin and Pol Pot are no longer with us there is no one left I would inflict a bottle on, not even Prayuth. Awful beyond belief.

But an hour or more has passed since I opened the bottle and it now stands an empty testimony to a good value white wine.No complaints at all.

Changing hotels tomorrow to be

nearer the airport but will grab another couple of bottles for our last nights imbibing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Leaving for the UK on Wednesday with wifey for an exotic 3 week holiday but on the way out as it were,  I spotted this cheap bottle of Australian white in Tops for a snip at 199 baht. Cheapest I've seen so far and not too bad.

Obviously from the lower slopes ,

possibly subterranean , but beggars can't be choosers. If I don't wake up in ITU tomorrow I'd say it was a good deal. Starve the lizards I would.

P_20180910_204911.jpg

P_20180910_204921.jpg

P_20180910_205034.jpg

Have seen that wine for sale in TOPS here but never at that price, so assume they are having a clearance sale? 

I do believe that once a wine here gets a few years on it then it goes in a sale, and often times it is still fine. Had the same thing at Tesco Lotus a few years back and picked up some very good wines very cheaply.

Well spotted!!

Edited by xylophone

59 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Have seen that wine for sale in TOPS here but never at that price, so assume they are having a clearance sale? 

I do believe that once a wine here gets a few years on it then it goes in a sale, and often times it is still fine. Had the same thing at Tesco Lotus a few years back and picked up some very good wines very cheaply.

Well spotted!!

Yes, I've picked up some Australian wine in a Tesco clearance for only 134 baht last year. But that was a small branch. In the big Tesco at Petchabun up the road the exact same thing on the same day was 234 baht ? Strange but whatever the reason, when it occasionally happens I'm in like flint and relieve them of all their unwanted stock. You have to be lucky and quick since it usually won't be there tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this topic is still alive but I  came across an item that contains some very interesting information.

Seems  like it  is not only the consumers  are being rorted by the applied assumption that wine is an eliteist beverage  that the rich can pay for. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/business/rural/7265344/Making-quality-wine-in-tropics

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Not sure if this topic is still alive but I  came across an item that contains some very interesting information.

Seems  like it  is not only the consumers  are being rorted by the applied assumption that wine is an eliteist beverage  that the rich can pay for. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/business/rural/7265344/Making-quality-wine-in-tropics

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I noticed that there was an "interesting" mis-match in a couple of grape varieties mentioned and that could have been the fault of the writer rather than the vigneron.

Petit (or Petite) Syrah is the name given to the smaller berries of Syrah which is almost a sub species and is not the same as Durif. Whereas Petite Sirah in the USA is actually the same as Durif (cultivated/discovered by a French oenologist in the late 1800s) and gives inky black and tannic wines, much like the Durif grown in Oz.

It is confusing and I think I have got it right??? 

All the same, sad to see the Govt here "penalising" their own winemakers when they should be encouraging them.

2 minutes ago, domdom said:

Hello

Back from shopping... Finca de Malpica red, 2 liters.. last week 699, today 749 bahts..

Going on and on and on

Have a good week

Hmmm...……...soon these fruit wines will be the same price as non-fruit wines and if this is the case, then the reason for producing them will be extinct? 

Can't see the rationale here?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thais like her are the only hope for Thailands future. Educated abroad, they return and despite facing resistance like a 260% tax on their products decide to plow on. I applaud these people.

I can't understand why the Thai Government doesn't give the home made wines a tax break to help them grow. They will never develop with a 300% tax added.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There is a  variety of  grape which grows  wild around my area. Has incredibly tight dense bunches of mostly small black  tough skinned fruit. I have several times  taken it upon myself to  gather and ..ahem.. put them through several steps of treatment in containers. The resulting "juice" is reasonable  given the problem of  average high temps  with no sophisticated equipment at hand. Color is a magnificent dark garnet. Below is a pic of a bunch of  scruffy rejects but support my description. Locals  do no seem interested in eating them but do strip the heavy major  vine and eat the inner pith. Is  bitter but apparently goes down well with chillies ! Yet there are many who say nice things about my  "juice." ????IMG_20181017_141914.thumb.jpg.9409412be3e2a685a13f6992d8438833.jpgI can find no information about these grapes or origins. 

Great stuff and well done on producing your "juice" in trying conditions.

Most likely explanation is that this grape variety is one which does grow in Thailand, called Pok Dum, and was originally a hybrid which was "produced" in Japan from a couple of black Spanish grape varieties.

Of course there is always the possibility that some of the imported grape varieties, or the seeds thereof, found their way into the soil and produced vines, but having said that, Thailand really doesn't have much going for it in the way of climate and weather to produce good grapes, at least not without some very careful and expensive vineyard management, so this vine/these vines have done extremely well to survive.

Interestingly enough, this Pok Dum grape is able to call itself a member of the elite family of vines, "vitis vinifera" which for want of better explanation is considered the "royal bloodline" of wine producing vines/grapes.

I don't know anything about your wine producing methods, however if somehow you were able to keep the fermentation period cool (in a small air-conditioned room for example with the Aircon full on) then that would possibly improve the taste of the final product.

All the same, I take my hat off to you!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

Haven't heard of Gran Monte wine, if indeed that is the name of the wine this family produces. Anyone know the name of the wines they make, would be interested to try them.

5 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Haven't heard of Gran Monte wine, if indeed that is the name of the wine this family produces. Anyone know the name of the wines they make, would be interested to try them.

It has won a few awards in wine competitions in the past, but these awards are not necessarily given to the "best wine" in the show, more for best or good in category (eg. best Syrah/Shiraz from an Asian country or best warm/hot climate wine etc).

I do believe I tasted one many moons ago, although not their top wine, and I wasn't impressed by it, or the price for that matter, so I stick to hunting out the few "bargains" that I can find around the place, for example an "end of line" Montepulciano d'Abbruzzo for 349 b a bottle...……...unfortunately none left now ????

• Like 1