Spreads for toast, what's available in Thailand?

giddyup

Siamsburys on Soi Khaotalo have what your looking for.........................off Sukhumvit ,,,,,,straight up over the railway lines.................far as you can go road bends to the right, gym on the left then another 200m on the left

Currently (2 days ago) had chicken and ham near the sell by at 25 baht and other flavours at 50 baht.............not huge jars but there you go.......

chicken ham.jpg

Edited by thaiflyer1

2 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Siamsburys on Soi Khaotalo have what your looking for.........................off Sukhumvit ,,,,,,straight up over the railway lines.................far as you can go road bends to the right, gym on the left then another 200m on the left

Currently (2 days ago) had chicken and ham near the sell buy at 25 baht and other flavours at 50 baht.............not huge jars but there you go.......

chicken ham.jpg

I bought it from Siam's before as well as the Salmon paste. Threw it all out, it's tasteless and bloody horrible! They must have bought a job lot of the stuff because no one else wanted it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

had an Aussie gf in the States used to put tuna, onions, hot mustard in the blender; made a great spread

Thanks for that.  I'll be out of Anchovette paste soon. I was going to try and make some but finding anchovies here in Ayutthaya is impossible. So, I'll give your ex's recipe a go. I'm a bit partial to savoury spreads on toast or crackers.

Edited by newatthis

2 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Most supermarkets stock the small tins of Pate'  that's savoury and goes well on toast

Have yet to see them, maybe I'm looking in the wrong section.

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Vegamite ha ha ,the poor mans substitute for the real thing , Marmite ,as eaten by men not girls? ,(like my wife),who finds the REAL THING to strong

You have been already beaten to it in post #32.

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I bought it from Siam's before as well as the Salmon paste. Threw it all out, it's tasteless and bloody horrible! They must have bought a job lot of the stuff because no one else wanted it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Same same ....Now then, if they were to get a job lot of Shipphams' pastes I'd sprint up that bloody hill...!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Tell us more. Is it commercially available and how much is it?

1 pint 300 baht fob Chiang Mai. I have been in talks with The Deli Shop in Bangkok. They are interested in my products. Unfortunately  I am undercapitalized and unable to proceed on a commercial basis at this time. I also make Corned Beef, Pastrami, Double Smoked Bacon and various other smoked delicacies.

My products have been delivered to Bangkok with no problems. I have been making/selling these delicacies since 2006. The Corned Beef is my signature dish. As good or better than Katz's Deli NYC.

Edited by Top Chef

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

Good morning cobber. I found Peck's Anchovette  in Villa market, Sukimvit 33. It was a bit expensive [180baht]. I had to travel from Ayutthaya to get it, so I bought 8 on that trip. Maybe, your Villa in Pattaya stocks it. If not, they could probably do an inter-shop transfer for you.

index.jpg

Villa, the western food supermarket that's way more expensive than all the rest. Just pure greed.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Villa, the western food supermarket that's way more expensive than all the rest. Just pure greed.

If they are the only place you can buy it, you have no choice. Perhaps you know where it's cheaper?

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I used to buy their beefburgers, 4 for 220 (was 200), but now they seem to have stopped selling them. They were really tasty and I used to buy a few packs from Suk 33 on my visits to Bangkok and take them back to my nest in Kalasin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. I did notice that. And as it is "like" and not the same you don't drink Marmite at the footy.

You could if it was dissolved in hot water, the same as Bovril.