Is there a law in Thailand about such behaviour?

Confuscious

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

My local car and motorbike wash put up their price about two years ago, it is still advertised at the original price.

They have to be careful about that. I recall that a Harvard professor of law gave a small Chinese restaurant in Boston a hard time because their web site prices did not incorporate the recent price increase that they charged him for take-away food. It backfired on him because he was trying to bully them into giving him a large compensation, or else he would cause them legal troubles .. they were a small Mom and Pop operation and the owner published his nasty correspondence. He was an unreasonable idiot.

In the UK supermarkets can be fined for pricing errors, so it is a serious issue. 

• Like 2

In Germany i always got the price written on the shelf, but the shops there care about customer satisfaction.

In Thailand i always got the price which they have in their system, if the price on the shelf is lower they always say the promotion has expired and refuse to give this price, they just don't care about their customers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

They have to be careful about that. I recall that a Harvard professor of law gave a small Chinese restaurant in Boston a hard time because their web site prices did not incorporate the recent price increase that they charged him for take-away food. It backfired on him because he was trying to bully them into giving him a large compensation, or else he would cause them legal troubles .. they were a small Mom and Pop operation and the owner published his nasty correspondence. He was an unreasonable idiot.

In the UK supermarkets can be fined for pricing errors, so it is a serious issue. 

They can be fined for intentionally misleading customers, honest mistakes are viewed differently.

10 hours ago, Justfine said:

1 litre dishwashing liquid $1.80. 2 litres $4.

Some still buy the larger bottle.

Yeah, at those obvious price differences, the buyers may even be dumber. Scottie Pippen, an American Basketball player, was hired by McDonald's for that McNuggets TV commercial. lt got made, but Scottie sued to have McDonald's stop it. 

Edited by smotherb

4 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

They can be fined for intentionally misleading customers, honest mistakes are viewed differently.

Trading Standards are the body in the UK. I don't think it matters, they get fined for honest mistakes as well.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, AlexRich said:

The retailer in the UK is not bound to sell at the marked price, and for very good reasons And I do not believe that the US is any different. If a car in the showroom that costs £10,000 is showing as £1,000 because the zero at the end blew away, the car retailer does not have to honour the price. I guess the Thai offer had expired but the shop was too lazy to change the signs ... even though they have misled you they are not legally obliged to sell at the offer price, as the offer is now expired.

Asi recall from UK the marked price is an 'invitation  to treat' not a fixed price. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't like it when I take a girl home from a bar and it turns out to be a guy wearing a dress.

Thailand, hub of false advertising!

that post is off topic,

on topic on that topic would be if the girl

changed price since the deal was made and the punter already paid barfine,

so instead of being charged 800 as they had agreed on prior to barfine,

he is now all of a sudden charged with 1000,

and she wont be suckin, and he can chose

between solitary masturbation or do her with a condom in the missionary position only, its now 1000 either way.

Edited by poanoi

i think its not an issue for as long as the correct fee is

correctly defined prior to purchase, and the service & goods are also defined to the last letter prior to purchase.

in my case, i regularly see myself short changed on massage,

firstly its standard practice to cut me 10-15 minutes short of the 1 hour i am

going to be charged for, secondly it almost never fail that they lazy around

poking the skin on my legs even tho i tell them in any language they can understand

i want massage solely on my back, and i want hard massage,

and thirdly they fully expect a good tip even tho i was cut short in every way

Edited by poanoi

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, at those obvious price differences, the buyers may even be dumber. Scottie Pippen, an American Basketball player, was hired by McDonald's for that McNuggets TV commercial. lt got made, but Scottie sued to have McDonald's stop it. 

Haha what a dumb ad.

4 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Asi recall from UK the marked price is an 'invitation  to treat' not a fixed price. 

Yes. It's only when they advertise a specific price over a set time period that they are reqd to honour it. Otherwise it's false advertising and they can be fined.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:43 AM, Confuscious said:

My guess is that they are trying to pocket the money themselves.

A few months ago, I was buying stuff at Big-C and I saw a lot of Corn Flakes at the -50% stand.
I took 4 boxes and went to the counter.
The "Ladyboy" at the counter wanted to charge me the full 100% for the boxes cornflakes.
I called the manager and showed him the bill.
The "Ladyboy" was immediately removed from the counter and the manager apoligized for the encounter.

..he/she/it was a naughty little 'corn flake' wasn't them.

As you quite rightly did, just walk away, there are plenty of other retailers out there selling the same / similar stuff.

Conversley, we often get unmarked discounts off items in HomePro (Krabi) and then an extra bit off when we spend larger sums. They even price matched an earlier order (2months previously) on an item that had gone up in price, took the time and trouble to check through our loyalty account to find the old invoice to compare prices. Can't ask fairer than that! I don't recall B&Q in UK ever doing anything similar.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, This is Thailand and people just make up their own rules, not just the bosses, even employees.

You are right.

A few years, when Immigration changed offices, they started to charge everybody 500 Baht (without a receipt) for a "Proof of Residence" while it was marker on a big display that the "Proof of Residence" would be made for "Free".

An Immigration officer showed me the correct rule on the Immigration Website:
"Every officer is entitled to ask for extra documents or ask for extras which are not included in this summarization"

23 hours ago, Justfine said:

Good luck suing a company over mispriced vitamins.

A few months ago, I wanted to change my Internet provider.
In my street, there were everywhere flyers hanging out with "Fiber Cable from AIS. 50Mb/30Mb speed for 599 baht.

I went to the AIS shop and asked clearly if they could guarantee that speed, and their answer was "YES".
I signer a contract, and a few days later I had AIS Fiber Cable.

But at evening, I went to my computer, and the Internet was awfully slow.
I did a speed test, and the maximum download speed was only 19.99 Mb.
I called their Call Centre and asked what was wrong, and their response was "Turn the router OFF, wait 3 minutes and restart the router".
Off course, that made no difference.
I wanted to Cancel the whole thing, but in the contract was written that I would have to pay a lot of money if I cancel the contract BEFORE 1 year.

After 2 weeks calling their Call Centre and trying to get the team which installed everything to check at my home what was wrong with their Fiber Cable, I went to my lawyer.
My lawyer have me a free advice and wanted to see ALL the documents.
It turned out that the contract specified very clearly and in ENGLISH that if they cannot honour their promises, I could cancel the contract at all times WITHOUT paying any extra money (see included picture).

I took the next day the whole stuff in and brought it to the AIS shop.
First they tried to charge me 4,000 baht standard fine and a lot of other things.
I refused and told them that I wanted to see the manager.
I showed the manager the contract and pointed at the bottom of the contract.

Her chin fall on the floor on reading it and she took back everything without charging me a dime.

CONSUMERS HAVE RIGHTS IN THAILAND!!!!

It's only a difference where anyone would want to start a Court Case over a few Baht..

AIS.jpg

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

From https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/.

"If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price. You could still try asking the seller to honour the price. "

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/index_en.htm

AFAIK, the UK is still an European member, or not?

21 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I think you have been taken in by an old wives tale, people claim that there is that law in the UK but there isn't, no shop is in anyway obliged to sell you anything, so if they mistakenly put the wrong price on something they can just refuse to sell it to you.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3277262

"Old wives tale"?
I think not.
In Europe (and most other countries) there is a Consument Protection law and citizens who have a complaint can even apply to a FREE ASSISTANCE to Lawyer and Courts (Ombudsman).

BTW, in Thailand exists since a few years a Consumer Protection Court which handles very quickly consumer disputes.

https://www.consumersinternational.org/members/members/office-of-the-consumer-protection-board-of-thailand/

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/ConsumerProtecting-law.html

Edited by Confuscious

20 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

There is more than one pharmacy only, isn't it? 

And it is your right to agree with that price or to leave. 

And.....there is no obligation to sell anything for a wrong price! 

Not even in your country I suppose 

Well, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

1. I DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH THAT PRICE.

https://www.consumersinternational.org/members/members/office-of-the-consumer-protection-board-of-thailand/

2. Not in my country where consumers are protected by law (the EU).

On 6/14/2018 at 4:43 PM, Confuscious said:

A few months ago, I was buying stuff at Big-C and I saw a lot of Corn Flakes at the -50% stand.
The "Ladyboy" at the counter wanted to charge me the full 100% for the boxes cornflakes.
The "Ladyboy" was immediately removed from the counter and the manager apoligized for the encounter.

You seem to have some issues with "ladyboys".

53 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

You are right.

A few years, when Immigration changed offices, they started to charge everybody 500 Baht (without a receipt) for a "Proof of Residence" while it was marker on a big display that the "Proof of Residence" would be made for "Free".

An Immigration officer showed me the correct rule on the Immigration Website:
"Every officer is entitled to ask for extra documents or ask for extras which are not included in this summarization"

When I done my 90 day report for my retirement extensions, I was asked by the officer what my wifes job was, I told him I did not even need to have a wife, he then accused me of having a 25 day overstay. It was finally sorted out by his superior.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

"Old wives tale"?
I think not.
In Europe (and most other countries) there is a Consument Protection law and citizens who have a complaint can even apply to a FREE ASSISTANCE to Lawyer and Courts (Ombudsman).

BTW, in Thailand exists since a few years a Consumer Protection Court which handles very quickly consumer disputes.

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/ConsumerProtecting-law.html

I am aware that there are consumer protection laws, but Iam not aware of one covering mislabelled goods that are thenspotted and corrected befor checkout, and what you posted doesn't mention this, according to the UK law sites there's no law it's just something people claim due to some retailers having this policy.  EU law also give some retailers the right to refuse any sale, so I can't imagine how they could both allow refusals of sales and make retailers make a sale, makes no sense.

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

Haha what a dumb ad.

Yeah, in darker advertising circles, it's called idiot marketing. Apparently, someone explained it to Scottie and he thought better of it. His agent says the prices were put in after Scottie did his bit. In either event, I thought better of him for doing that.

Edited by smotherb

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Well, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

No, you don't have to agree with the corrected price, but that doesn't mean they have to sell it at the incorrect price.

I have found all the relative law. A contract must have been entered at an agreed price in order for the consumer to have the right to buy at that price, and a contract has only been entered once the price offered, the displayed price, has been accepted by both the buyer, by taking it to the till, and the seller, by entering it into the till and requesting the amount be paid, this all happens at the till, until the bill is requested to be paid the shop has the right to change the price.  However, if you feel the shop is using a misleading tactic you can report them and take them to court, but it's on a case by case basis, the shop has the right to make a mistake and rectify it before making a sale, but they don't have the right to try to trick people into  buying things for more an they thought they were spending.

Edited by Kieran00001

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Well, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

OK, I buy that. So in this case you would go to court, isn't it? And because we live in Thailand you would have to pay all your expenses by yourself.. And this all because you insist to get a discount on your tooth paste or whatever it is? 

That makes sense indeed! 

26 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

OK, I buy that. So in this case you would go to court, isn't it? And because we live in Thailand you would have to pay all your expenses by yourself.. And this all because you insist to get a discount on your tooth paste or whatever it is? 

That makes sense indeed! 

Does the loser not pay the winners legal fees in Thailand?

On 6/15/2018 at 6:43 AM, Confuscious said:

Staff can't "pocket the difference" if the payment goes through the cash register and you get a receipt, and no real business does " no receipt for cash" sales. Better explanation is a special is over but staff weren't told. I speak Thai, am polite and never get cheated, though I do get mistakes. Remember, Thai staff have to make up shortages by themselves, or it's taken from their employment bond.  

As I didn't want to make a scene over "a few baht", I left the shop.

But worth whining over it? Get used to this country, some things are different and comparing with other countries won't get you that far. 

P.S. I'd have sent a Thai to the shop to buy it for me if it was so important. 

Edited by jenny2017