French Fries. Standard cut or thick cut?

moonseeker

What's your preference?

It seems impossible to get nice, crispy and most important HOT fries in any place. If I ask for fresh hot fries in KFC the chicken is dished out early and dry and cold. In any restaurant the waitress just scratches her head when I order, fries ? hot please. Should they be slightly salted or not. IMO yes... Thick ones would at  least be warmer longer.... 

Must try some ?? place next... 

Nice weekend you all. MS>

• Like 1

I use a wide and flat non stick Teflon pan.  Fill it about 3mm high with oil.  buy a decent brand of thin fries and pan fry them turning them very often and keep the pan moving. Have them single layered. Season with chicken salt or stock powder.

They come out better than cold soggy fast food. 

I like my food hot. It's a fact that heat releases flavor. I got in the habit of asking the staff at Burger King to make my burgers extra hot. They just nuke it a little more but I like it that way and their motto is "have it your way". I tried that in Thailand and they just say "hot already" and hand me a room temperature burger. <deleted> annoying people sometimes. If you are trying to get anything hot or fresh or that doesn't taste like shit I would stay out of KFC all together. I don't eat fries. I'm keto. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Home made, using fresh potatoes . Anything else is sacrilege.

Trying to pass the garbage that fast food outlets pass off as one and the same is one of the few good reasons for maintaining the death penalty

I used to buy bags of frozen fries from Lotus .  Then I started to eat more salads which require cold boiled spuds.   For the past 2 weeks I have used spuds from the little local market , 35B kilo.  Now I have proper chips the first in years , oh and for the salad , same market , 7 big red tomatoes ..5B.    How much is the quid worth this week Phil ?

14 minutes ago, phetphet said:

The only way I ever eat my chips in a traditional fish and chip shop, is with salt and vinegar.

I do see the curry sauce on the menu blackboard, and ketchup and brown sauce on the tables, but just doesn't seem right to me.

Each to their own I suppose.

I like chips and gravy - preferably onion gravy - it was my "healthy meal" substitute in my impoverished student days.... 

59 minutes ago, phetphet said:

The only way I ever eat my chips in a traditional fish and chip shop, is with salt and vinegar.

I do see the curry sauce on the menu blackboard, and ketchup and brown sauce on the tables, but just doesn't seem right to me.

Each to their own I suppose.

You're right. I forgot the obvious one. 

Oh my word such a decision .. Let's also not forget other wonderful food .. Last night I had a fishfinger butty!

But  back on topic...thin cut thick cut shoestring hand cut three times cooked .. Potato chip potato crisps.. So many differences.. But there is an incredible standard for the French fry that I experienced working with a US company that owned a FF factory.  Details below .. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&amp;source=web&amp;rct=j&amp;url=https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Frozen_French_Fried_Potatoes_Inspection_Instructions%5B1%5D.pdf&amp;ved=2ahUKEwi-h8jiz9fbAhVJBcAKHQmzCHcQFjACegQIABAB&amp;usg=AOvVaw0QjbZKYov_dcZ6CGYZTXcn

1 hour ago, champers said:

This is the Pattaya forum, so yes.

I did not read it in the Pattaya forum, I read it in the Daily Newsletter.

Someone from Thaivisa has taken it from the Pattaya forum and put it

in the Daily Newsletter, it happens sometimes, so no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

In the UK we call them chips, and in a standard chip shop they come thick cut. Eaten with tomato sauce, brown sauce and sometimes curry sauce. In Holland they serve them with Mayonnaise, which I don’t care for. Personally I hate those thin crispy fries they serve up in US fast food outlets ... the “old country” does it best.

Potatoes originated in the new world. I had the best fried potatoes in Cusco, Peru back in university days. They were thick cut; sometimes simply cutting a potato in half longways and deep frying it. The key though has to be real potatoes. I love potatoes and cannot stand the frozen imitation potato-flour-like substance most restaurants use and call them potatoes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I love potatoes and cannot stand the frozen imitation potato-flour-like substance most restaurants use and call them potatoes.

You mean the ones that Crossy likes. ??

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I like the thick-cut "Steakhouse" fries from Makro. Madam deep fries them in a wok on her charcoal-fired hob, lots of heat, crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle ?

Many moons ago I ordered "fish and chips" in the Plaza Hotel, Seoul. Took a while to arrive and when it did there were eight (8) chips, I counted them twice. We worked out they were about $1 each! Apparently lovingly hand-cut by the chef for each serving. Next time I asked if I could substitute "french fries" for the chips. Of course, no problem. Food arrived faster, same nice fish and a mountain of (evidently frozen) very similar looking chips. 

Many moons ago in a Singapore hotel, I ordered chips with my meal. They came alright LAY style.?