Best airline deal for Bangkok to Chiang Mai flight?

JimmyJ

I see (looking at a 2016 article I found)  that there are flights from both airports in Bangkok - Are they both about the same distance from downtown Bangkok and about equally easy to get to?

It also lists many airlines flying BKK to Chiang Mai.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which is the best deal or are they all priced about the same?

The main airport is more convenient as it has a train connected to the city center.

The budget airlines usually use the budget airport and you have to take taxi or bus to city center.

Budget airlines are cheaper than premium airline such as Thai airways, but you pay for what you get.

The two best budget airlines are Airasia and Nok Air. 

It depends on when you want to fly, if it is very near today, then the prices are expensive.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The two best budget airlines are Airasia and Nok Air. 

Air Asia, not so much budget unless you book your tickets during their "promotions". Nok Air and Lion Air are much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Go Bangkok Airways, great lounges and have never had a problem since they started.  If you are fliying in from outside Thailand check if they code share.  Not cheap but very good.

"great lounges", yes possibly, but the op was interested in a cheap flight from BKK to CNX, not hanging around in "great lounges" at the airport. In fact Don Muang has a great outdoor smoking place (lounge) where one can enjoy a cold one and a cigarette or two, before takeoff.  :smile:

Edit: John, no offence intended. :smile:

Edited by Vacuum

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Where is the word 'cheap' mentioned by the OP?

'Which is the best deal' is up to the OP.

Why would anyone want a lounge unless it's a business flight. 

Spent my life in lounges before retiring and can't see the value in them anymore unless international but that's for another thread 

Check out Kayak.com to see a comparison of pricing...

I prefer VietAir as they fly into Swampy which has the airport link and you avoid Don Mueang which can be a zoo at times..... and they are cheap...

Also I have found that the airline apps ( Especially AirAsia) have cheaper promotional prices than thier website.

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Check out Kayak.com to see a comparison of pricing...

I prefer VietAir as they fly into Swampy which has the airport link and you avoid Don Mueang which can be a zoo at times..... and they are cheap...

Also I have found that the airline apps ( Especially AirAsia) have cheaper promotional prices than thier website.

Be careful though. Trying to change a flight with a carrier no problem and with a 3rd party agent? You may end up talking to a barley English speak east European dude. Not recommended 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Be careful though. Trying to change a flight with a carrier no problem and with a 3rd party agent? You may end up talking to a barley English speak east European dude. Not recommended 

I did not suggest buying thru Kayak.com... just compare prices...

We prefer the convenience of Bangkok Air.  Yes, the lounges are nice even when not traveling on business, to have a comfortable place to use wifi, a free cup of coffee and a little snack before the flight.  Also served a nice snack on the flight and the seats don't seem as close together.  Once in Bangkok, it's a smooth connection into the city on the rail link, rather than having to take a bus.  Maybe a couple hundred baht more, but it's value for money, IMO.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

We prefer the convenience of Bangkok Air.  Yes, the lounges are nice even when not traveling on business, to have a comfortable place to use wifi, a free cup of coffee and a little snack before the flight.  Also served a nice snack on the flight and the seats don't seem as close together.  Once in Bangkok, it's a smooth connection into the city on the rail link, rather than having to take a bus.  Maybe a couple hundred baht more, but it's value for money, IMO.  

Completely agree.  I usually have a morning flight and offset the extra baht with several coffees, sandwich and snack in the lounge. However, sometimes the price is too much higher, so Viet Jet. 

• Like 1

Thai includes 30kg of baggage in their prices, which makes them competitive for people with luggage most of the time, and an absolute steal if you pick up a ticket during a promo period.

If not flying with checked baggage, I usually go for whoever is cheapest, have a scan online.

Something to note - I often get upgraded to a priority seat with Nok and Air Asia. I'm a member of both, don't fly regularly, and they never tell me I'm being upgraded, I just board and realise I've been given a priority seat and get the priority seat snack or coffee.

• Like 1

ThaiSmile Air (LCC spin off from Thai Air).

Suvarnabhumi, 5 flights a day.
1150 to 1450 (I looked 3 weeks ahead, short term 1450 to 1550).

No hidden fees for payment, tax, seat reservation, checkin service etc.pp.

Incl. 20 kg, seat selection, snack.

Book through their website.

No second thought for me.

Don Mueang only if no alternative.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

First time I 've heard of Vietjet.

Between Vietjet, Nok Air, Airasia and Lion Air, which is the best value for money?

We don't need expensive lounges and price shouldn't be much more expensive (around 1000 baht)

Edited by EricTh

vietjet is best and new planes /and go to international airport

book ahead and get  half price of others

then lion air cheap prices if booked ahead

they don't add heaps on the price given /not like the ripoff airasa

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 4:08 PM, InMyShadow said:

Lion air by miles. No add-ons and 15kg check in luggage for free. 

Best part is they have a fleet of 737-900 only a few years old 

Take a look at the tired old nok air planes with peeling paint. 

Fares are usually 1k low season 

And leg room that puts your knees in the row behind where you're seated.

i have had fares as low as 420b veitjet 

even used them to nam /top airline  same as lion on different routes 

when airasa first started i used often/ and were cheap 

\ then  these added on /and hidden costs /now anyone flying with them 

have rocks in there head

After a few bad flights between CM and DM and even worse experiences getting into the city from DM, we'd given up on Air Asia until last year when we made a trip to Taipei.  The only routing/schedule that made sense (since we wanted to avoid going through Bangkok) was Air Asia to Macao and connect with Macau Air, which we knew nothing about.  

The Air Asia flight was nearly three hours.  Three hours of tiny seats, people all around and no food.  OK, I'm getting cranky in my old age.   I take one hour of this nonsense going to BKK, but three hours?  The Macau airport was a nice, pleasant surprise as was Macau Air.  Highly recommended.  In reading TripAdvisor, I don't know if I'd use them for a trip into China, however.  

For the return, we "upgraded" to the premium seats on Air Asia, had more legroom and since we requested an aisle and window seat, no one sat between us.  Made the return more tolerable.  Will definitely do the upgrade trick again if we have to take Air Asia on a future flight.

14 hours ago, opalred said:

vietjet is best and new planes /and go to international airport

book ahead and get  half price of others

then lion air cheap prices if booked ahead

they don't add heaps on the price given /not like the ripoff airasa

Yeah, Air  Asia keeps on putting more and more add-ons just to increase the price.

They spray people with insecticide when going to certain countries.

I might try Vietjet and Lion Air to see the differences.

Plz do not think that AirAsia is the only carrier to spray insecticide in the cabin.  Many do, according to rules of destination country.  Some places don't want ZIKA virus mosquitoes sneaking in. 

I find AirAsia among the least expensive, and offering the fewest headaches, to fly and when i have a choice, usually chose AA.  Except on long flights when i need non-stop, etc.  And i do appreciate paying cash at 7/11 for my AA ticket.  Other carriers also offer cash payment at 7/11.

We fly Air Asia a lot to Krabi and do the NancyL trick... Upgrade to the first row bulkhead row and pick the window & aisle seats... Well worth the extra 400 baht... only once did someone book th middle seat and then we gave them the aisle seat...

16 hours ago, NancyL said:

For the return, we "upgraded" to the premium seats on Air Asia, had more legroom and since we requested an aisle and window seat, no one sat between us.  Made the return more tolerable.  Will definitely do the upgrade trick again if we have to take Air Asia on a future flight.

Sorry, how did you upgrade to premium seat?

I thought everything  is fixed once we buy the economy ticket except for last minute baggage checkin