Remove stains from shirt armpits

djayz

I like wearing shirts, but after I've worn them just a few times, a brownish stain builds up in the armpit area. The stains appear irrespective of what I do (deo, talc, etc.). I haven't found a stain remover here which really gets rid of the stains. Any suggestions on how to remove/prevent such stains? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

have  you yet tried to use OrangeOil type hand cleaners?

the gritty stuff that turns greasy hands, into sparklers

just rub a few dabs of it into the 'pit,

rub'n'scrub it a while with your hands,

and leave for 5 minutes, then rinse...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

have  you yet tried to use OrangeOil type hand cleaners?

the gritty stuff that turns greasy hands, into sparklers

just rub a few dabs of it into the 'pit,

rub'n'scrub it a while with your hands,

and leave for 5 minutes, then rinse...

Haven't tried that but I'll look for it the next time I'm out. I'll try anything. 

1 hour ago, johng said:

If they are white shirts then bleach...but even that eventually doesn't work youll get yellowish stains instead...I think its deodorants that cause most of the staining there are some supposedly anti stain deodorants at inflated prices..or you could try using "sarn som" which is Alum crystal instead of deodorant.

Thanks. I've also used the "anti stain" deodorants, but the shirts still stain, slower albeit, but they stain nevertheless. 

• Like 1

For small stains (for me; spaghetti sauce, always) if all normal methods fail: ordinary white toothpaste rubbed in with a soft brush, let it sit a couple of minutes, then rinse out.  Make sure the spot area is wet before applying the toothpaste.

Works 90% of the time.

I've read baking soda is also effective, rubbed in the same way but never tried it.

The OP's underarm stains are probably too large for this method but it's worth mentioning. 

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Show it to the laundry shop employee and make them do the scrubbing....works out fine !!

I agree.  I point out the stains to my wife and then I hear her scrubbing for hours over a bucket in the back yard and then the next day my shirts are good to go.  Next?

• Like 1

If possible change your shirt every day .  When you say you wear the shirt several times , you surely mean several days without washing them .

There is a product called VANISH that you can buy at a supermarket that is specifically a stain remover , apply it to the armpit of shirts or collars and leave it for a while before washing your shirt .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I buy my shirts from the market 20 baht each,never bother washing them worn about half a dozen times then throw away......easy.

p.s. I look like a tramp and smell like one also...but who cares :thumbsup:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.......sorry about my reply....feeling a little "giddy" this am.

You are not alone man , there are many expats living in Thailand who dress like you , look like tramps , or dressed for a busy day in the kitchen garden .

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

The stain is caused by the aluminium in your anti perspirant reacting with the sweat on the fibers of the clothes.

Read this : http://mentalfloss.com/article/527024/why-we-get-sweat-stains-and-what-you-can-do-about-them

An interesting tip .  I never use anti perspirants and have no problem with odour , I believe in Thailand we sweat so much we flush out bacteria that may cause a bad smell .

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Toscano said:

You are not alone man , there are many expats living in Thailand who dress like you , look like tramps , or dressed for a busy day in the kitchen garden .

I'm sure that the poster was joking (I hope so anyway) however I have seen a few guys like this at the immigration office and am not surprised that at my local office, they have initiated a dress code of sorts!!

Back to sweat and armpits then...………….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Dissolve some tablets of aspirin and soak. Works on my 'wick' type cool sports shirts.

Funny coincidence.

Just this morning read the Aspirin (ASS) tip in a German magazine and remembered the thread title.:biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Put some pads under your armpits to avoid that.

Baking soda removes smell but not strains it seems.

I fixed the problem by wearing all black since the funerals, and it's great to be always ready for any next funerals !

Edited by grkt

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I buy my shirts from the market 20 baht each,never bother washing them worn about half a dozen times then throw away......easy.

p.s. I look like a tramp and smell like one also...but who cares :thumbsup:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.......sorry about my reply....feeling a little "giddy" this am.

Ah! Jack Reacher! Welcome to Thailand.

17 hours ago, djayz said:

Haven't tried that but I'll look for it the next time I'm out. I'll try anything. 

Do you wash the shirt immediately after wearing them?  How long do you wear them, or rather how long is your sweat on the shirt? 

Have you considered wearing thin undershirts that will soak up your sweat and not allow it to contaminate your shirt?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grkt said:

Put some pads under your armpits to avoid that.

Baking soda removes smell but not strains it seems.

I fixed the problem by wearing all black since the funerals, and it's great to be always ready for any next funerals !

I've worn mainly dark colours for the most of my life and am sick of 'em. I now enjoy wearning something less depressing but thanks for the tip.