Remove stains from shirt armpits

djayz

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

The stain is caused by the aluminium in your anti perspirant reacting with the sweat on the fibers of the clothes.

Read this : http://mentalfloss.com/article/527024/why-we-get-sweat-stains-and-what-you-can-do-about-them

I found out a few years ago the antiperspirant I was using (Mennen from the U.S.) had too high of a content of Aluminum, which in itself stained my under arm area.  Also my wife lets me know often that white clothing in Thailand will be dingy looking very soon after you start using the clothing.  Your best bet is to switch to an Antiperspirant (not just deodorant, and not too high an aluminum content) and to soak your whites in detergent with Haiter bleach for color (light yellow container) and Fight stain remover (blue bottle).  Soak overnight then wash as normal. I guess quantities depend on how much you are soaking and how bad stains are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

The stain is caused by the aluminium in your anti perspirant reacting with the sweat on the fibers of the clothes.

Read this : http://mentalfloss.com/article/527024/why-we-get-sweat-stains-and-what-you-can-do-about-them

I get it and I only use a deodorant (no aluminum). I don't get it with Brut but do with Addidas.

45 minutes ago, toenail said:

Proof that not all comments on Thaivisa  forums are ridiculous. Very good suggestions. (I was waiting for some smart-arse comment.)

You could start a skidmark removal thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toenail said:

Proof that not all comments on Thaivisa  forums are ridiculous. Very good suggestions. (I was waiting for some smart-arse comment.)

Obviously you scrolled past post #18...   :laugh:

1 hour ago, toenail said:

As a matter of fact, I too was expecting a few smart arse comments, but some great advice and suggestions so far. Far more than the number of shirts I have. 

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Do you wash the shirt immediately after wearing them?  How long do you wear them, or rather how long is your sweat on the shirt? 

Have you considered wearing thin undershirts that will soak up your sweat and not allow it to contaminate your shirt?

Even with undershirt, I was able to yellow my white shirts, slower, but still...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, djayz said:

I've worn mainly dark colours for the most of my life and am sick of 'em. I now enjoy wearning something less depressing but thanks for the tip. 

Hope that you do not turn to ugly pink or yellow...

2 minutes ago, grkt said:

Hope that you do not turn to ugly pink or yellow...

Yellow. Never! Yuck! But I am rather fond of pink now though... I wouldn't have been caught dead in it 10 years ago! 

• Like 1

This may be a little extreme, but it's a technique I use because I was tired of scrubbing the underarms of my clothes, not to remove stains, but to remove odor, even with using deodorant.  You can have your underarm area treated with botox to stop sweating.  100cc, a full vial, 1/2 for each side, so shop around.  The first time I did it, I went to a high-end hospital to make sure it was done right and then I realized, it's not like someone was messing with my face and any store-front clinic could do it.  Multiple pricks with little injections of the stuff all around the underarm area, that they first numb with either cream or simply ice in a plastic bag.  The ice actually works better.  

Lasted about six months the first time and each time it lasts longer, I think because the sweat glands are getting killed off, kind of like the way a woman's face looks after she has multiple botox treatments year after year.  Now I can go almost a year between treatments.

Still have to use a  mild deodorant, but the sweating and odor has stopped.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This may be a little extreme, but it's a technique I use because I was tired of scrubbing the underarms of my clothes, not to remove stains, but to remove odor, even with using deodorant.  You can have your underarm area treated with botox to stop sweating.  100cc, a full vial, 1/2 for each side, so shop around.  The first time I did it, I went to a high-end hospital to make sure it was done right and then I realized, it's not like someone was messing with my face and any store-front clinic could do it.  Multiple pricks with little injections of the stuff all around the underarm area, that they first numb with either cream or simply ice in a plastic bag.  The ice actually works better.  

Lasted about six months the first time and each time it lasts longer, I think because the sweat glands are getting killed off, kind of like the way a woman's face looks after she has multiple botox treatments year after year.  Now I can go almost a year between treatments.

"This may be a little extreme"  I was under the impression that sweating was a normal body function ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Thank you Nancy. I much ppreciate the tip but that's definitely not for me ?

On 6/25/2018 at 8:49 PM, dddave said:

For small stains (for me; spaghetti sauce, always) if all normal methods fail: ordinary white toothpaste rubbed in with a soft brush, let it sit a couple of minutes, then rinse out.  Make sure the spot area is wet before applying the toothpaste.

Works 90% of the time.

I've read baking soda is also effective, rubbed in the same way but never tried it.

The OP's underarm stains are probably too large for this method but it's worth mentioning. 

Baking soda applied with a toothbrush or nailbrush to the (wet) affected areas and left for a few hours or overnight will generally work. Possibly will take a few attempts. Prevention the best method, before putting in the machine after wearing do a quick pre-wash.

I am aware of the deodorant theory, but going without and just using a touch of talc does not really make much difference in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for info: I tried Vanish (green bottle purchased at Big C, but not Big C brand) and, although it didn't get the shirts perfectly clean, there was a noticeable improvement. 

I added Vanish to a basin of water, then wet the clothes and briefly rubbed some of Vanish into the stained areas and left the clothes to soak overnight. The next day I washed the shirts, adding Vanish to the washing powder. It might not completely clean the current shirts, but it might prevent new ones from staining. 

Thanks for the tips folks! 

• Haha 1

I use the Vanish O2 crystal white powder, wetting the stained area, lightly sprinkling Vanish directly on a stained area of clothing and working it up into a paste, then letting it sit for about an hour before washing.  Works great this way to remove stains.  You don't have to use much to get good action.  I think this is better than adding it to a basin of water and soaking the entire garment -- target just the affected area.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread, interesting suggested solutions, learn something new every day.

In our own house, I don't really have any issue with sweaty or smelly underarms, so never have used any underarm products. And all of my shirt underarms are and always have been absolutely clear/clean.

The Thai wife, on the other hand, has horrible yellowish stains in the underarms of her mostly colored work dress shirts, and she consistently uses some kinds of deodorant/anti perspirant rolls or sprays. And nothing I tried was getting them clean, and I was afraid any solution would likely damage the color of the fabric.

Until this thread, I guess I always thought she had gunky Thai underarms. But now I have to apologize, having learned here that apparently it's all due to her deodorant/anti-perspirant use, which seems a bit ironic.

Anyone have any suggestions on a deodorant / anti-perspirant product available here that WON'T discolor the shirt underarms???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting thread, interesting suggested solutions, learn something new every day.

In our own house, I don't really have any issue with sweaty or smelly underarms, so never have used any underarm products. And all of my shirt underarms are and always have been absolutely clear/clean.

The Thai wife, on the other hand, has horrible yellowish stains in the underarms of her mostly colored work dress shirts, and she consistently uses some kinds of deodorant/anti perspirant rolls or sprays. And nothing I tried was getting them clean, and I was afraid any solution would likely damage the color of the fabric.

Until this thread, I guess I always thought she had gunky Thai underarms. But now I have to apologize, having learned here that apparently it's all due to her deodorant/anti-perspirant use, which seems a bit ironic.

Anyone have any suggestions on a deodorant / anti-perspirant product available here that WON'T discolor the shirt underarms???

“Anyone have any suggestions on a deodorant / anti-perspirant product available here that WON'T discolor the shirt underarms???

Nivea Invisible,  they have a ladies n men’s version.

• Thanks 1

I've had that problem before-  since I started using

"Arrid XX Antiperspirant Deodorant" - widely available in UK, sometimes available in Thailand

or

Nivea Men 48h "Cool Kick" - widely available in UK and Thailand

I've not had the problem. I prefer the smell of the Nivea but YMMV. 

Both are sprays, and the Cool Kick is also available as a roll-on in both countries

• Thanks 1

This looks easy.

• 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • Dish soap
  • Baking soda
  • Toothbrush

After applying the ingredients directly to the shirt, use an old toothbrush to work them in for a minute, and then let the shirt sit for at least an hour before putting it in the washing machine.

https://clark.com/family-lifestyle/remove-yellow-armpit-sweat-stains/

OxiClean supposedly works well.  It's just Sodium percarbonate , which breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate in water.  There are many other brands of oxygen "bleach".

Quite a few suggestions here.   http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/cleaning-tips/stain-removal/remove-deodorant-stain.html

Oddest one is meat tenderizer (which can be made from fresh pineapple juice or mashed up unripe papaya.)  http://www.filipinochow.com/green-papaya-meat-tenderizer/

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

“Anyone have any suggestions on a deodorant / anti-perspirant product available here that WON'T discolor the shirt underarms???

Nivea Invisible,  they have a ladies n men’s version.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but, I've been using the suggested product for at leat a year now and have noticed zero, absolutely zero, difference... as far as fabrics go that is. 

• Like 1

My gf also recently introduced me to a kind of talc that they use, it stops perspiration, i’ve tried it.... don’t know what the ingredients are though, i’ll try get a photo of it later and post it here

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This may sound crazy but what works for me: put deodorant before taking a shower to kill the bacteria, then soap and rinse 2-3 times.  Just soaping once isn't enough.  It also helps to trim the armpit hair.  No deodorant after that.  When you start the day clean like that I don't have an underarm odor problem.  Used to have that yellow stain problem too, now no longer.

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Thanks 1