So why don’t Thais want to wear their bike helmets?

rooster59

Give them a break, they are only just getting the idea to wear

helmets on motorbikes,and that has took years,but still not

100 %, I see professional ?,the bike racers all wear helmets,

the ordinary cyclists,most likely think they don't go fast enough

to wear one, not thinking,that they could be hit by a motorbike,car ,

or truck,!             P.S. I thought you were referring to cyclists

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on
  • Like 2

why cause hardship, if they can afford an expensive phone they can afford a helmet. i see the poorest of the poor on their i phones, so no excuse at all.a phone aint going to save their lives, still this is the thai thought train i suppose,i did mention , i got done as my passenger refuse a helmet, only popping to the bus station to take her home, (ok i know it was my fault before you lot chime in)

• Like 2

on another point when i went to the cop shop to pay my 400 baht fine and get my licence back, i did not see one Thai, in the waiting room to pay the helmet fine, they were stopping Thais so i can only assume they were paying cash to the cops,

Edited by mercman24
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

.the construction helmet is a safer bet than the paper mache helmets is see for sale in the shops,

A construction helmet is totally unsuited to motorcycle use..... 

That's some of the worst safety advice I've ever heard.... 

You must be Thai

• Haha 1

Helmets to Thais are uncomfortable and they mess their hair.

Seat-belts are similar....uncomfortable and crease their clothes.

Then of course....being so different here....there are buddha images and flowers...all making Thais free from harm!

To a lot of Thai people, a decent helmet costs over a week of their salary.  Anything cheaper is pretty much useless, and they're smart enough to know that.

See how you'd feel about buying the replacement after someone steals 2 or 3 of them at one week's salary a pop.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't walk around carrying a helmet on the off chance I'm going to be hopping on the back of a scooter taxi that day.  I do wear one when my trip is planned, and the point of origin and destination both have a safe place to leave a helmet.  But that's a rare trip for me since I no longer commute to the office that way.

It's a lot of the same economics that put so many Thais on scooters in the first place, instead of safely ensconced in a 4 wheeled vehicle with A/C, doors, a lot of steel and seat belts.  The safety Rubicon is crossed when they hop on the scooter in the first place.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

See how you'd feel about buying the replacement after someone steals 2 or 3 of them at one week's salary a pop.

I've had a scooter and helmet in Chiang Mai for 7 years, and never had the helmet stolen. Perhaps my head is too big.

On the other hand, stealing the registration stickers from bikes seems to be a popular pastime.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

As I've said before, the fine for not wearing a helmet should be at least 10,000 baht. If you want results then hit people where it hurts the most.

Correct, but most people don't have this kind of money and they would just ignore paying the fines.

I think scorecard's idea (post #3) is better:

From day 1, anybody caught without helmet, driver of passenger and the bike was immediately confiscated

never to be seen again and no  discussion whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Easy to understand in a climate like Thailand, who wants to stick a smelly old pot on their head when it's much nicer to feel the breeze in your hair (if you've got any) from a safety point of view not such a good idea, but as long as you can get away with the likes of a 10 press-ups punishment it will continue unabated!

"it's much nicer to feel the breeze in your hair (if you've got any) from a safety point of view not such a good idea"

I agree with this 100%.

I noticed that a lot of Thai 'bike riders were wearing helmets in the various 'clips' in the video, and that reflects my experience.  i.e. Far more Thais are wearing helmets nowadays than a few years ago.  Although it probably depends on where you live.

• Like 1