Praise for assistant coach who sacrificed himself for the good of the team

webfact

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You are probably right. However, even in an article (published 13 hours ago about the King wanting the foreign rescuers to be treated as guests) we read:

'Government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Tuesday night that HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn offered his moral support to all who have been involved in assisting the 12 boys and their coach.'

So it seems that it is pretty variable. Anyway - you are basically right - that this chap has been referred to as an 'assistant coach' on other occasions.

slightly lazy editors trying to push stories out as quickly as possible, i imagine. though, to be fair, it's not wholly inaccurate. 'head coach', 'assistant coach', 'conditioning coach', etc. are all subsets of 'coach'.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smileplur said:

My understanding is that the man entered the cave after being called by the parents.

This is my understanding also. He was called by some of the boys parents after they were late home, he presumed where they were at, went looking and all got stuck. Thats just what I  have heard from Australian and Japanese  friends and their media. I guess we will know, hopefully in the near future what has transpired and all are safe and well once back on the surface and dry land. 

Chok De Krup to all.  and so many thanks to all rescuers  involved with this difficult situation. Well done, my family, as all families are looking forward to further positive outcomes. Keep up the great work.

GBW

He's not a hero....he really sacrificed himself?..not eating the few snacks the kids brought and not drinking the water drips on the cave walls?

while he was negligent, no charges should be brought as no physical harm was done....

Just hand him the bill for rescue operations as they do in the USA for negligent acts...

the article is intended to be a face saver....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

He's not a hero....he really sacrificed himself?..not eating the few snacks the kids brought and not drinking the water drips on the cave walls?

while he was negligent, no charges should be brought as no physical harm was done....

Just hand him the bill for rescue operations as they do in the USA for negligent acts...

the article is intended to be a face saver....

Really, and exactly do you know this, were to there, speak with the parents or just assume

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree with  (Praise) ..The  sign at entrance says July not enter ( Warning ) , they went in June 23rd...why crucify the coach . Also be the officials (Governor ) who should of had a locked gate at entrance of cave ..also slam the Governor who also failed to mention the Brits...Think coach was maybe  wrong or even stupid for taking in there in the first place, ...But He saved them...Just think what if he had not been there? ?

Edited by yrag

I scanned the whole thread but didn't read every word. I didn't notice any of the usual talk along the lines of "Thai's never take personal responsibility for anything". Isn't someone going to remark on the fact that the assistant coach hasn't seemed to try to evade responsibility for whatever his actions were? There's no nonsense here like "My hand had a mind of its own reaching into the farang's pocket for his phone, I couldn't control it". Or "the brakes failed".

Without taking a position on whether he's a hero or not, or whether he's an idiot or not, or whether he led them in or followed them in, can I at least give him a plus-one for overcoming Thai cultural reluctance to take personal responsibility?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The reported fact that the coach went without his own rations (at the expense of his own health) for the sake of the kids speaks volumes about his character. 

Right - and it seems indeed to be true, as one look at his very thin face and body (compared with how he used to look) gives strong support to the accuracy of this claim of his generosity and selflessness of character. Also,  he is one of the two reported to be most ill or weakened.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LennyW said:

This story was on a lot of the Thai news channels yesterday.

But as has been stated by another poster: the source of this story (that the assistant coach was contacted and went to seek out the boys) has not been reliably attributed to any source ( a confusing mixture of 'The Times' and 'The Telegraph' has been mentioned - but all very garbled).

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

But as has been stated by another poster: the source of this story (that the assistant coach was contacted and went to seek out the boys) has not been reliably attributed to any source ( a confusing mixture of 'The Times' and 'The Telegraph' has been mentioned - but all very garbled).

Think you can assume it's "false" news at this stage. 

• Like 1

The timing of the vague story on Facebook/Twitter/Whatever, about the coach being called by parents after the kids entered, seems a little coincidental considering it emerged late in the piece after reports that the police are going to charge him.

A false story planted on social media goes a long way in this country.

If the coach rushed to the cave to save the kids, why did he stop to buy the rations he apparently shared?  Hero or villain, best to wait to see where the chips fall.

The wet season in CR starts in May - why wasn't the cave closed from that month?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yrag said:

I totally agree with  (Praise) ..The  sign at entrance says July not enter ( Warning ) , they went in June 23rd...why crucify the coach . Also be the officials (Governor ) who should of had a locked gate at entrance of cave ..also slam the Governor who also failed to mention the Brits...Think coach was maybe  wrong or even stupid for taking in there in the first place, ...But He saved them...Just think what if he had not been there? ?

I think the whole sign thing is being taken out of proportion. It seems to me it would be a general warning to not enter the cave during the rainy season due to the possibility of flooding. Alright they went in June 23rd. A week out is cutting it pretty close in my estimation. Or are all you posters saying because of the sign that is posted that is completely safe to enter on June 30 but totally dangerous to enter July 1? I know TIT but use a little common sense. Fycks sake.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

If that’s true then it will significantly changes the story..and my opinion.to be continued 

Think about this.

If the coach went in after them, it must mean he find them BEFORE they go in to far and for sure long before they reach that left/right junction.

otherwise its a miracle he even found them.

they say the cave is complicated so how he found them if they are in there alone and deep within some place 2-3km inside the cave??

So we can assume he must of found them quite early yes?

then why he not take them out quickly?

but they end up some 10+kms inside. it take a long time to get that far in.

it just doesnt add up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Think about this.

If the coach went in after them, it must mean he find them BEFORE they go in to far and for sure long before they reach that left/right junction.

they say the cave is complicated so how he found them if they are in there alone and deep within some place 2-3km inside the cave??

it just doesnt add up.

Yes, there are many questions that need to be answered - and no doubt they will be, in due course.

Now we are, of course, all hoping that the courageous rescue workers can somehow assist these brave young men back into safety. I believe they can and will - but it will be far from easy.

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, there are many questions that need to be answered - and no doubt they will be, in due course.

Now we are, of course, all hoping that the courageous rescue workers can somehow assist these brave young men back into safety. I believe they can and will - but it will be far from easy.

well said.

Yes, to be positive for the good outcome.

They got this far after all when many TV posters give them up as dead so Im sure they have the skills to get them out.

lets encourage the no-hopers that did keep saying

" is recovery mission now and they will bring out bodies"..

to put a sock in it!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Think about this.

it just doesnt add up.

Yes your right.

that newspaper article is about the real coach khun Nop he was called by the parents to look for the kids and for the other coach but he was unable to enter the cave due to the water.

That other assistant coach was already together with the minors deep in the cave for some excursion .

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

I did read that also.

But there is an earlier story that say one boy contacted a parent who forbid him to go into the cave with them.

The parent then come and pick up the kid from somewhere around the entrance.

I may be wrong but the words of that report sound as the coach did organise it.

I find it VERY hard to believe that 1 parent would collect their boy but not report or say angthing to anyone, IF those boys were going in there alone.

They went in with the coach ur correct.

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes your right.

that newspaper article is about the real coach khun Nop he was called by the parents to look for the kids and for the other coach but he was unable to enter the cave due to the water.

That other assistant coach was already together with the minors deep in the cave for some excursion .

Ah, this explains it! There were two coaches involved (one head coach - who did not take the children into the cave - and the assistant coach, who did). These two coaches have become mixed-up in reports as one and the same person, it seems (i.e. the assistant coach inside the cave).

Thanks for this info, Destiny1990. It makes sense (but can we be sure it is accurate ...?).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes your right.

Ok, that makes sense.

The head coach is the one who the parents rang, then he went to cave afterwards with intent to look for assistant coach and boys.

I think people have some confusion with that fact since the report from the Thai person claim the children went in there alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

His correct course of action would have been not to lead the boys into the cave in the first place!

Get informed. Widely reported he came in search of the boys when requested by several of the parents. Might serve you well to actually read previous posts.

• Confused 1