Thai boys await resumption of rescue mission after first four freed from cave

webfact

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

#หมูป่าแห่งถ้ำหลวง? @pktk2543 7m7 minutes ago

Officially confirmed: The second rescue round began at 11 am (GMT +7) today. expecting the first man to come out around 8 pm. #ThamLuang #ThaiCaveRescue

So that may be 6 pm if yesterday's performance (and timing) is repeated...

8 minutes ago, seajae said:

"Because steel is stronger and more ductile than aluminum, construction of a tank requires less steel than aluminum. This usually means that for an equal gas capacity, a steel tank will have a total weight less than an aluminum tank yet have better buoyancy characteristics. For example, the standard aluminum 80-cubic-foot tank weighs about 35 pounds, while similar capacity steel tanks weigh in at about 30 pounds."

Noted, thanks - never realised that, I did wonder why they never used composite tanks for diving but appears they also are no where near as good as steel, which surprised me.

• Like 1

They estimated last night it would take 12 hours, but it may have taken longer. I'm sure they haven't been sitting on their hands, but only so many people can fit down the tunnels. Also all the tanks had to be taken out to be refilled, so just a question of time vs people able to take them out/ in.
In places, they are wading through water up to their necks, with the tunnel roof just over their heads. Respect to those carrying.
Indeed. One of whom gave his life doing that.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Air Force threatens legal action as drone flies near evacuation helicopter

By The Nation 

The Royal Thai Air Force is threatening legal action against the owner of a drone seen flying near a helicopter evacuating a rescued young footballer from the Tham Luang cave on Monday.

The drone was seen in a video clip flying near an MI-17 Royal Thai Army helicopter taking one of four rescued footballers to hospital.

TV station PPTV issued an apology on Monday afternoon for flying the drone.

Air Vice Marshal Pongsak Semchai, a spokesman for the Air Force and the deputy of its Civilian Affairs Department, said earlier on Monday that the and spokesman of the Air Force, said the Air Force would coordinate with the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand to take legal action against the drone owner.

Pongsak said the Air Force has checked with both the Wing 416 Command and the Third Air Logistic Support Command that is in charge of air traffic in the area, and learned that the owner had not received permission to fly the drone over the area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349657

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-09

quoting from https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thai-cave-rescue-operation-day-2-live-blog-10511516

reporting the press conference:

The four rescued boys are doing well in Chiang Rai hospital, says rescue chief Narongsak at a news conference. This morning they were hungry and requested for spicy basil pork.

Despite the heavy rain yesterday, the rescue team can still handle the situation.

Rainwater, which continues to be drained, has not jeopardised the rescue operation, Narongsak assures.  

He added that water levels may have changed in the last 10 hours and that they are trying to identify the source and flow of water into the caves. 

4 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Apparently they started again at 1.45 today. 

They are bringing in groups of 4. 

4 4 and 1 I suppose. 

God speed boys and divers. 

they started at 11AM today. look for more info anytime after 16:00

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

And another tweet, this one a ThaiVisa retweet. Current time is about 3:30 pm in Thailand if I've looked it up properly, so we might be getting some news soon. The tweet is an hour old, so the ambulances would have arrived about 2 hours ago now.

Thaivisa retweeted
Florian Witulski Florian Witulski 59m
Three additional ambulances arrived at the cave about an hour ago. Further survivors are expected from 4pm local time onwards

I think the tweet must be incorrect as to the timing. I suspect the cause is the operation started later today than it did yesterday, so even if it goes faster they may come out later. The other posts are talking about 8 pm, not 4 pm.

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Air Force threatens legal action as drone flies near evacuation helicopter

By The Nation 

The Royal Thai Air Force is threatening legal action against the owner of a drone seen flying near a helicopter evacuating a rescued young footballer from the Tham Luang cave on Monday.

The drone was seen in a video clip flying near an MI-17 Royal Thai Army helicopter taking one of four rescued footballers to hospital.

TV station PPTV issued an apology on Monday afternoon for flying the drone.

Air Vice Marshal Pongsak Semchai, a spokesman for the Air Force and the deputy of its Civilian Affairs Department, said earlier on Monday that the and spokesman of the Air Force, said the Air Force would coordinate with the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand to take legal action against the drone owner.

Pongsak said the Air Force has checked with both the Wing 416 Command and the Third Air Logistic Support Command that is in charge of air traffic in the area, and learned that the owner had not received permission to fly the drone over the area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349657

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-09

Seems that some lose their brains when the chance of a scoop is present. The possibility existed that the drone could have caused the helicopter to crash with death of all on board. Sad indeed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spock said:

Why so many questions? Why not just accept that events are moving as fast as they can and that every effort is being made to evacuate the boys from the cave? Some people are just never satisfied and have to question everything. Jai yen yen. Accept that you were not chosen for the rescue mission and move on.

I'm not asking questions, so there's no need to be a d***h about it. I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth just as you and everyone else is... so you can move on now... whatever that's supposed to mean.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, roo860 said:

So what mode of fast transportation do you recommend for the transfer? Don't say ambulance because someone says other vehicles might not yeild to the emergency vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

When...

also need to make the park or land owners accountable.

There is a sign  in front of the "DANGER", Cave is closed due to flooding July to February. Charge the smart witted coach. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They don't want just any diver. They want world class cave divers with rescue experience. Very, very few such in the world and they are pretty much all on this team already.

They also want to stick with the same team that did it yesterday since tbey are seasoned now in the procedure.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They have many factors to consider and balance out. We don't know what teams they are using or if they are the same ones and how often they repeat dive... I didn't see any details about that. There's also the urgency of time and the ever-present danger of flooding.

Edited by tropo
  • Sad 1

We had some arguments yesterday about the issue of quarantining the boys. In the press conference today it was confirmed:

The boys are also being kept away from relatives because of infections concerns, says the chief of the rescue mission. 

"They (the four) will be kept away from their parents for a while because we are concerned about infections," Narongsak Osottanakorn told reporters, adding doctors will decide on family visits "at a distance or through glass."

The reports that I saw didn't explain precisely what infections they were afraid of spreading to relatives....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sjeng said:

they went into the cave in june so no warning

yeah it's a bit like accusing a driver of going thru a Red light, when he's really running a light just turned Amber

- still just as dangerous, yet not completely illegal

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

They have many factors to consider and balance out. We don't know what teams they are using or if they are the same ones and how often the repeat dive... I didn't see any details about that. There's also the urgency of time and the ever-present danger of flooding.

It seems that 4 divers remain with the children, probably to prepare the 4 children to be evacuated.

Then 2 accompany the children for the first underwater part, and another 2 for the second underwater part.

The remainder are there to provide help if necessary...