We retiring in Thailand next year, what should we do?

21 minutes ago, James2020 said:

Also, much has been written here about maintaining an address in the US vs just having one in Thailand.  It can be done either way, and there are pros and cons to each. 

It comes down to the individual bank or institution and their policies and rules.

But the way I look at it is, if you go with a U.S. address, then you don't have anything to worry about regardless..

But if you go with a Thai address, you never know when some bank or some credit card you use might kick up a fuss, decline to renew your card, refuse to open a new account, etc etc.  You're creating the potential for trouble when, in my view, it's easily avoided with certainty.

BTW, another good thing for the OP is the fact he's coming from TX, which has no state income tax. So at least, once he moves to Thailand, he doesn't have to worry about his state trying to claim that he still owes them state income tax even AFTER he's relocated to Thailand!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Capital One does not require foreign travel notice anymore.

Yes, that's a very good change and relatively recent one of their part.

C1 USED to be a stickler on foreign travel, and I had my cards locked by them more than once in the past. But these days, they rely more on getting confirmations from the user either by mobile message or emails to confirm anything they flag as a suspicious transactions.

I was REALLY surprised some time back when C1 credit cards told me I no longer needed to worry about foreign travel notifications with them!!!!

• Like 1

If you want to avoid all the ACH BKK Bank brouhaha, credit card fees int'l transaction and other fees, 220 baht ATM withdrawal charges reimbursed or otherwise, you can make one or more trips back to the Estados Unidos and bring undeclared through Thai custom up to $20,000 each trip and as long as you never put more than US$10,000 in combined non-US bank accounts, you can avoid the pesky FBAR stuff.

BTW, the OP's request here was for general advice and issues about relocating to Thailand, and we got off onto a bit of a jag about U.S. banking topics, which certainly is part of the broader issue.

But there also is another thread running right now specifically on the U.S. banking issues, for those so inclined.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046452-what-is-the-best-american-bank-for-someone-living-in-thailand/

I've been trying to post here on a range of items per the OPs request -- banking, visas, health and life insurance, DL, mail forwarding, etc etc...

There's also been past threads here on the very pertinent topic of what things to bring and not bring when relocating. Well worth a read for anyone planning to move. Everyone has their comforts, of course. But good quality cotton sheets often have been on many people's lists, considering the high price and relatively poor quality of a lot of the bedding offering here.

• Thanks 1

This has all become far to complex.  The words can be harder than the actual move.

1.  Have multi bank accounts open before you leave and sign electronice transfer agreements in case you want to use such service in future (must be signed in person most banks).

2.  Use retirement as wife is disabled.  You have income and she will not have to visit immigration with you for extensions.

3.  Expect you will have ongoing expenses outside Thailand so probably best not to transfer pensions directly here, to an account only in your name and that you personally have to visit bank to obtain funds.  It is not that hard to obtain local funds using cards or bank or private transfers and deposit to a normal joint bank account here.

4.  Sell electric items in US.  Buy here.  You do not want to use transformers (waste of money/safety/space/and sure to be misused) and clocks will probably not work or motors run slow and overheat (50Hz here).

5.  Get medical insurance that covers you here (now before preconditions cause issues).  Probably only need major medical type and normal outpatient is likely within your budget.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mike324 said:

anyone here used transferwise for bank transfers?

Me,

Opened an account Thursday around 4pm, transferred a test 100 pounds, was in my Bangkok Bank account Friday at 4:30pm

The charge was 2 pounds, exchange rate was 44.16 (XE quoted rate) x 98, no deductions at the Bangkok Bank, 4,326bht in my account.

Edited by BritManToo

Congrats on the long lasting marriage.   4500/ mo should enable a great !!! lifestyle even in a big city,  but more so up country.  

So a Thai national can bring anything into the country? All household?  I was about to get a Bangkok bank account but now there is some doubt about free transfers?

Since I live in an income tax state Utah.  I will need to change addresses once I sell my house a few years after I know Thailand it Vietnam works for me.  

• Thanks 1

I tried to use Bkk bank NY for funds transfer.  Expensive and cumbersome.

I had good luck with a Citi Bank Global account.  The only Citi branches are in Bangkok, but ATMs are everywhere. No trouble transferring funds from Citi Bank U.S. to Citi Bank Thailand for free via inter-account transfer....then transfer to local bank like BKK Bank. 

Larger amounts via Wire Transfer (keep them under 50 K USD or they will be held up for a while). 

Have your checks deposited in US account, having them mailed here is a real hassle.  BKK bank took 6 weeks and 500 THB fee to clear a check from a US city.

Maintain a US mailing address.

There are videos on You Tube about retiring in Thailand.  Some have really good information.

Good luck 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mike324 said:

anyone here used transferwise for bank transfers?

Yes.  I used them to transfer about $17,000 USD to my Thai fiancee for wedding and housing expenses prior to my actually traveling here. If I recall correctly, there was a $4k or 8k transaction limit per transfer, but their rates seemed reasonable (not great) and I was able to do everything online with plenty of verification steps. Very satisfied with their service as my local U.S. bank would not transfer outside the U.S. 

19 minutes ago, mejomini said:

Have your checks deposited in US account, having them mailed here is a real hassle. 

They have not done checks for several years now. The will only do direct deposits now.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BKK Bank NY ACH transfer method is on HOLD at present, and not accepting any new U.S. banking links. So no one should be relying on that for the future. (Though for right now, people with existing banking links can continue using it, perhaps for the next few months).

The Bangkok Bank website doesn't have information  about this. I haven't been notified by the bank that this will happen.  They still have the website page. Google Bangkok Bank ACH transfers.

Pertinent to the discussion is my just completed application for the wife's SS benefit to collect on my existing SS routed thru BB in NYC. 

The procedure took much longer than when I applied thru the PI years ago but was notified today that that it's been given the 'green light' and forwarded to Baltimore for finalization. 

"If you use the "cash in bank" option, then every year all you would need to do is get a form letter from the bank verifying that the money has been there for the minimum period of time, and a copy of your bank book (along with the other, easy to do, paperwork needed). No annual trips to the Embassy/Consulate required. (I prefer that option myself as the money can be used once you've got your new Extension, so long as you replenish it prior to the 3 month deadline before the next Extension. Or you can just leave the money in a Fixed Term account, earn a small amount of interest and have the peace of mind knowing you have that lump sum sitting there "for emergencies" or future Extensions.)"

The absolute best way to go.  Nothing beats the peace of mind knowing there's just a small amount of paperwork to go thru each year to renew the retirement Visa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

The absolute best way to go. 

Not for everyone - money in account would be in your name only and might not available if you are not available and for some entails extra annual paperwork for home country reporting.  Using income is a simple process for many.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yankyoakum said:

Guidance and direction here would be highly appreciated.

In my view – I'm also retired here for more than 10-years now, but originates from a Northern Europen country – you should opt. for "retirement visa"; i.e. extension of stay based on retirement, as it might be easier to handle than extension of stay based of marriage. Put 800k baht (if you can afford it, but with $4,500 a month it should probably be possible) in a fixed 12-month bank account, and use that as proof of funds, rather than documentation for monthly income. You'll get a small interest, from 1.2 to 1.5 percent annually, of which 15% tax is withheld, which you can cash out; some up to 10k baht a year. The needed documents for extension varies a bit in different provinces, some of the local forums might have a pinned thread with updates about it; however it's not difficult, and I stay in an area that is known for being among the most difficult. For extension of stay as retired, an Elite card might not at all be worth the money, it's a fairly easy routine.

Apart from your wife might be allowed to "import" personal items, a retired is allowed one (smaller) air-shipment, and one surface shipment, which can be a 40-feet container, of personal household. A detailed packing list with values is the trick, and a small (minor) amount of duty and vat will normally be charged. I brought a 20-feet container in from Europe without any problems; the're a number of threads in the forum about "importing" household.

Building a house in Thailand can be a bit of a challenge compared to the West, and it also depends of where in Thailand one settles. The are a number of threads about it in the forums, with lots of good advises. Even you have a building contractor, do expect to check a quite a bit yourself. Many of the building construction workers are not educated, so it depends a lot of the foreman, what you get in the end. It may look nice when finished. As just one example, if the primer of the paint job has not been done well enough, and if the building contractor use a relative cheap paint – the paint-job might be an unspecified part of the whole construction agreement – you'll only see it a few years after, but then it's too late to complain, and you might need to repaint your house after three years, instead of 10+ years. It's worse if it there are faults in basic concrete construction, i.e. cracks in the building, or sewer pipes not placed correctly. Invest little time in browsing for advises and experience from others, especially in your area, as local weather conditions is another factor be aware of.

You might have decided to settle in Chiang Mai, and already checked areas; otherwise I would normally recommend to check various parts of the nation, and in different times of the year, before "investing" in building a house. If it later shows not to be the right place, a house can in some cases be difficult to sell and recover the investment.

With your mentioned $4,500 a month – i.e. ca. 135k baht a month – plus little extra, you should have enough income for a good life in Thailand; of course depending of (expected) life-style. Apart from a health insurance, you should consider to set aside some easy available cash as extra security in a "rainy day account", and for example include a fixed monthly top-up in your budget.

There might be lots of detailed questions coming up, and I'm sure the kind posters in this forum will be happy to give you advises, so feel free to ask.

Wish you good luck...?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not for everyone - money in account would be in your name only and might not available if you are not available and for some entails extra annual paperwork for home country reporting.  Using income is a simple process for many.

Not really as it's one more step to the final goal of obtaining the Retirement Visa.  Income verification involves getting from ACS another form.

In the end it's Tham Jai  Khun 

8 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Not really as it's one more step to the final goal of obtaining the Retirement Visa.  Income verification involves getting from ACS another form.

In the end it's Tham Jai  Khun 

The money is in your name only and that could cause problems.  It is not required to obtain retirement visa or extend as you have the income method.  Yes income requires an annual letter from Embassy - just as bank deposit requires letter of account balance from bank and normally passbook copies and maybe ATM receipt from current day.  Some some one will be better than the other.

4 hours ago, joealx said:

The Bangkok Bank website doesn't have information  about this. I haven't been notified by the bank that this will happen.  They still have the website page. Google Bangkok Bank ACH transfers.

It does actually, though in a misleading, unclear kind of way.

Under the NY Branch ACH section, it currently has the following language:

Funds Transfer services will be available soon as there has been some changes to our terms and conditions. If you wish to enquire more information, please contact us via email [email protected]

When they say "funds transfer services will be available soon," obviously, that suggests they're not available now. Which is wrong, as I've repeated numerous times here now.

--What's not available now are NEW ACH links thru the NY branch.

--What is available now are regular ACH transfers for those who have existing ACH links.

--But, even those are probably going to cease working in the coming months. And BKK Bank will either come up with some alternative approach or give up and do nothing.

If you're waiting for BKK Bank Thailand to personally notify you of changes to their NY branch ACH transfer process, good luck in waiting for that.

For more details on the status and changes to the NY Branch ACH process, see here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1047921-opened-bangkok-bank-account-tried-to-x-fer-from-us-trial-ach-deposits-failed/?do=findComment&comment=13170470

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 hours ago, JLCrab said:

If you want to avoid all the ACH BKK Bank brouhaha, credit card fees int'l transaction and other fees, 220 baht ATM withdrawal charges reimbursed or otherwise, you can make one or more trips back to the Estados Unidos and bring undeclared through Thai custom up to $20,000 each trip and as long as you never put more than US$10,000 in combined non-US bank accounts, you can avoid the pesky FBAR stuff.

This is Thailand. I'd feel uncomfortable rolling into Swampy with that kind of cash on my person. And for that matter, I'd feel uncomfortable rolling into the U.S. with that kind of cash on my person.

• Thanks 1

I'd suggest that the OP obtain a non-imm O visa in the U.S. BEFORE coming to Thailand if he plans to retire in Chiang Mai.  CM Immigration makes it very difficult for newbies to apply to convert visa-exempt entries or tourist visas into a non-imm O visa with picky and uneven enforcement of unwritten rules, last minute demands for more documents, unavailability of appointment times, etc.They're trying to push newbies into using visa agents at huge fees.  Obviously this makes their life easier because they don't have to answer a bunch of questions from uninformed and nervous newcomers, but there may be other less obvious reasons why they want the newbies using agents.   Let's just leave it at that.

Like others have said, I definitely recommend using a commercial mail forwarding service in order to keep a U.S. mailing address and also to consolidate and forward online shopping purchases.  Get one that permits shipments via U.S. Postal Service in addition to DHL/UPS/FedEx.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but USPS is the best way to ship goods into Thailand.  Thai Post seems to use a different customs clearance channel than DHL/FedEX/UPS and items shipped to you via good old Uncle Sam's postal service will sail through Thai customs without a raised eyebrow.  Also, the mail forwarding service will consolidate and repack shipments and permit you to describe them for the customs forms.  There are mailforwarding services in Texas, the home state of the OP.  

Also, investigate getting a U.S. phone number using a service like MagicJack, with an area code that is the same as the area code of the mailforwarding service.  With MagicJack, you can use your home wifi to have a stand-alone phone "plugged in" all the time as if it were a U.S. phone.  Doesn't need to be connected to your computer.  Great if the bank or credit card company need to call.  If it's not connected, their message goes to a regular voice mailbox and the recording is emailed to you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--What's not available now are NEW ACH links thru the NY branch.

--What is available now are regular ACH transfers for those who have existing ACH links.

--But, even those are probably going to cease working in the coming months. And BKK Bank will either come up with some alternative approach or give up and do nothing.

One question TallGuy, ... ok, I have used my smaller bank in the US in the past few years on more than one occasion, to make a larger transfer of funds to my account here using the NYC branch of Bangkok Bank. My question is... Does that mean that my small bank would have an existing ACH link with Bangkok Bank, and that I am still able at this time to do transfers for the time being? Sorry but I wasn't sure if that is what you meant in your previous referrals to existing ACH links. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1