UK's new Brexit envoy optimistic, as EU warns of Brexit crash

webfact

Well the politicians are all off on their summer holidays so all we will get for the next few weeks will be a re-hash of what has been said before.  In three months time (end of October?) we should have a clearer picture.  No matter what any of our rhetoric is, it doesn't matter a jot.  Nobody is listening to us.  We are all pi**ing in the wind.

Of course that won't stop all the cries of foul play or criticism of the people pulling the strings.  But these are the people that we have elected to represent us so really, we only have ourselves to blame.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, citybiker said:

There won’t be a deal with Trump. There will never be any deal with Trump. A deal requires two parties entering into a binding agreement with both parties respecting the agreement and fulfilling their obligations. With Trump, all you can get a lie today, and then seeing what he’s lieing tomorrow. 

• Sad 1

There won’t be a deal with Trump. There will never be any deal with Trump. A deal requires two parties entering into a binding agreement with both parties respecting the agreement and fulfilling their obligations. With Trump, all you can get a lie today, and then seeing what he’s lieing tomorrow. 

Something wrong at your end with posting?

3 identical replies or an anti Trump fan?

(Taken in light hearted humour because I'm like that)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

It would have been better not to join at all. Then we wouldn't have to endure all this exit drama.

fair point

and many were unhappy when UK did, I think in particular the younger generations, those who are in their 50/60-s now

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Renegade said:

But we did not join the EU.

We joined the Common Market.

The Common Market morphed by Treaty after Treaty into the EU.

The UK population did not have any votes on these Treaties and the other Countries that did, some voted against and were made to vote again until the correct vote for the EU was achieved.

I find that way of describing what happened rather weird and kind of offering some skewed history to put it mildly.

The representatives of the UK population voted YES to all these treaties/treaty-modifications.

These representatives were elected by the UKers to deal with these issues on behalf of the entire population.

think first - then vote

if you screw up - you suffer the results of your votes

I am surprised to learn that the UK populace is happy with the Tory mess that the UK struggles through now

I am sure the majority enjoys it since they ask for it over and over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

I find that way of describing what happened rather weird and kind of offering some skewed history to put it mildly.

The representatives of the UK population voted YES to all these treaties/treaty-modifications.

These representatives were elected by the UKers to deal with these issues on behalf of the entire population.

think first - then vote

if you screw up - you suffer the results of your votes

I am surprised to learn that the UK populace is happy with the Tory mess that the UK struggles through now

I am sure the majority enjoys it since they ask for it over and over again.

So we had the wrong representatives. What's new? There were no referenda in the UK for successive EU treaties, as there should have been; they would have lessened a lot of this mess you are talking about. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Even the plans to stockpile food are in chaos!

British food stores ridicule Brexit stockpiling plans
Retailers say they have had no government contact over no-deal supplies

Government could no organize p***-up in proverbial brewery 

https://www.ft.com/content/13acf2c0-90e4-11e8-b639-7680cedcc421

11 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Please explain what you find weird about my explanation of how events happened for the UK. There is nothing skewed about it.

The mess that the UK now finds itself struggling through is a direct result of Remainers, whether they be Tory, Labour, right wing, left wing or non descript. Who refuse to accept:

A Referendum result.

That MP's voted by a margin of 4 - 1 to invoke article 50.

And have tried every trick in the book to thwart Brexit.

Brexit has on many occasions been referred to as a divorce.

There is no such thing as half a divorce.

Right.Brexit means Brexit and  Divorce means Divorce. And there's no such thing as alimony payments, child support, visitation rights. etc.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tebee said:

Even the plans to stockpile food are in chaos!

British food stores ridicule Brexit stockpiling plans
Retailers say they have had no government contact over no-deal supplies

Government could no organize p***-up in proverbial brewery 

https://www.ft.com/content/13acf2c0-90e4-11e8-b639-7680cedcc421

I'm missing something here, possibly because I cannot read the article.

"British food stores ridicule Brexit stockpiling plans
Retailers say they have had no government contact over no-deal supplies"

So brit food stores are ridiculing the claim that the govt. has warned them to stockpile food etc.?

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So brit food stores are ridiculing the claim that the govt. has warned them to stockpile food etc.?

It's never a bad idea to keep a sack of rice and half dozen bags of flour at your home along with a few tins of fish.

(1Kg flour = 10 days food (bread) for 1 person)

Edited by BritManToo

Britain’s grocers say they have had no contact with the government about stockpiling food in anticipation of the UK crashing out of the EU in March without a withdrawal deal and have ridiculed suggestions it is their responsibility to begin the process.

But one supermarket chief said the government’s position was “ridiculous” and demonstrated “complete naivety” about the way the sector worked, Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said: “I would very much welcome a conversation with the government.”

“Stockpiling of food is not a practical response to a no-deal on Brexit and industry has not been approached by government to begin planning for this,” the British Retail Consortium said in a statement.

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

Britain’s grocers say they have had no contact with the government about stockpiling food in anticipation of the UK crashing out of the EU in March without a withdrawal deal and have ridiculed suggestions it is their responsibility to begin the process.

But one supermarket chief said the government’s position was “ridiculous” and demonstrated “complete naivety” about the way the sector worked, Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said: “I would very much welcome a conversation with the government.”

“Stockpiling of food is not a practical response to a no-deal on Brexit and industry has not been approached by government to begin planning for this,” the British Retail Consortium said in a statement.

I'm still unsure of the point of the ft article.

"But one supermarket chief said the government’s position was “ridiculous” and demonstrated “complete naivety” about the way the sector worked, Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said"

What is he claiming is ridiculous about the govt.'s position?  That the govt. hasn't told them that to stockpile food?

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm still unsure of the point of the ft article.

"But one supermarket chief said the government’s position was “ridiculous” and demonstrated “complete naivety” about the way the sector worked, Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said"

What is he claiming is ridiculous about the govt.'s position?  That the govt. hasn't told them that to stockpile food?

The government has said that industry, not the government is doing the stockpiling . but no one can find anyone in the industry that the government has even talked to about doing it. 

It's also impractical and costly to do so without massive government funding.

“It’s ridiculous,” the executive said. “It’s scary because it shows how far the government is from the reality of how things work. It’s genuinely worrying.”

Supermarkets say they operate a sophisticated “just in time” supply model. Fresh food could not be stockpiled for more than a few days, while there was not enough warehouse space to hold large quantities of non-perishable “ambient” goods.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to have some real information on how much food retailers have in stock (how many days supply at regular sales rates).

UK food retail is a fiercely competitive business, I would be very surprised if retailers keep any significant levels of stock above that which is on display in stores.

The big food retailers, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury, Morrison’s have learned from manufacturers and have minimised ‘material inventory costs’ by implementing ‘Just in Time’ stock delivery.

Do these retailers even have warehouse capacity anymore?

It would also be interesting to have some information on the logistical ‘network’ for these ‘Just in Time’ deliveries, particularly where they cross  U.K. borders.

The problem with a hard "no deal" brexit is that afterwards all the cake will be stuck in customs, so we will neither be able to have it ?? eat it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're right it is bewildering!

If I lived in the UK I'd definitely be stockpiling. Enough Thai Jasmine rice and tinned fruit and veg to get me through a couple of months (I'm not joking).

War time rationing - does that feed the exit or the remain narrative?

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Personally, I'm filing the 'necessary to stockpile food in case of a hard brexit' articles, in the same folder as 'Heathrow is preparing to close for 2 months in the event of a hard brexit' articles! ?

To be fair, since I presume you live in Thailand, you’ll not be effected by food shortages in the UK and unlikely to be effected by problems at Heathrow.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go.

Brexiteers voted for a Brexit with no plan.

Now it’s the fault of Remainers.

Core to Brexiteer thinking is the idea that whatever is wrong in their life, it’s somebody else’s fault.

not the fault of remainers and not the fault of brexiteers in my view

the fault is with the Tory party the Tory MPs and the Tory cabinet

they have assumed responsibility for guiding the UK through this

and, to me at least, it is somewhat obvious that they are very far from capable

they produce mess rather than sorting out

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell me what stuff can you grow that will be ready for harvest in March and April (presuming you have access to land).

As a life long vegetable gardener I’d be interested to hear.

Radishes ! oh and Garlic

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell me what stuff can you grow that will be ready for harvest in March and April (presuming you have access to land).

Bean sprouts and the good news, you don't need land, kerching.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And who is going to harvest it?

• Haha 1