Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

If they wont the lottery, would they still live in a 5k a month room ?? They want to because thats what they tell themselves to sleep at night. 

If I won the lottery, my life wouldn't change that much, I like where I live, but I might hire 20-year-old hookers more often.

The soi next to where I live has some decent apartments (bedroom/living room/kitchen/balcony) for 4k/month and is surrounded by Thai uni girls accommodation, sitting outside that room with a beer in an evening wouldn't be a bad life.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

ok not a long timer, 4 years, i popped back a year ago for the BSB bike racing, (its on today) met up with the gang after 3 years, go into wetherspoons, and what do i hear, them whinging on about no mixed grill, no Doombar beer, it was like yesterday not 3 years, could not wait to get back HOME lol. still every day is a new adventure, if you want it to be.(see my post on comparing living expenses on living on 45,000 baht)

Edited by mercman24
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

... but I might hire 20-year-old hookers more often.

The soi next to where I live has some decent apartments (bedroom/living room/kitchen/balcony) for 4k/month and is surrounded by Thai uni girls accommodation, sitting outside that room with a beer in an evening wouldn't be a bad life.

I would move the 'more' to just after 'hire'! 

Not sure that sitting around looking at Thai Uni girls would be an adequate retirement for me, I would need some kind of project that would keep my mind occupied. Perhaps 'trying to work out what the hell kind of business @LivinLOS is doing, that needs 600 employees in Europe!' ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, poanoi said:

cambodia only ever has low quality foam mattresses,

i broke my back after a single night in the first shithole,

i bought the most expensive spring mattress i could find

for the 2nd shithole, but it was still no quality.

its also a possibility that i broke my back so hard in the first night so nothing can change it back,

i cant even tell if a mattress or chair is good or not, for i never sense comfort

Go see a top chiropractor PDQ, pretty darn quickly!!! 

It was in Incheon, korea where I encountered a hotel bed which was much harder than anything I ever encountered before...

Go get a water bed

On 7/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, oxforddon said:

Some interesting points. I came here 52 years ago so have seen most of the changes that people don't like but somehow the very "essence" of life here has not changed drastically. I don't have much of a choice about staying on since the UK offers no pension or benefits for me having left so long ago that I am not entitled to anything there. And having been a contract player when working, when contracts finished there was no pension there either after retirement. With my two grown up half-Thai daughters having done well in schooling, marriages and careers etc. I am supported and live quietly and divorced these days and just flow with it all - gravitating to the things that I like and avoiding the things that I don't like. Thing is, we are all different in past experiences, personalities and circumstances that there are no strict guidelines for life here - or anywhere else for that matter.

Your observations are most interesting. I too first arrived in the late 1960s and visited frequently until the mid-1980s, when I worked there.

I wonder whether the apparent degradation of classical culture has not been much more exacerbated in the big cities. Living in Hua Hin or Khon Kaen might be much more like "the good old days" perhaps...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Byron Allen Black said:

Your observations are most interesting. I too first arrived in the late 1960s and visited frequently until the mid-1980s, when I worked there.

I wonder whether the apparent degradation of classical culture has not been much more exacerbated in the big cities. Living in Hua Hin or Khon Kaen might be much more like "the good old days" perhaps...

It would be very interesting to hear the perspective of the people who've been here for 30-50 years, what life was like through detailed personal stories.  Could probably fill an interesting book with all those stories.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, manjara said:

Perhaps 'trying to work out what the hell kind of business @LivinLOS is doing, that needs 600 employees in Europe!'

Auf verdersien pet construction workers.. 

Only got about mid 40 now, and will be happy to maintain 100 with a low personal workload. Dont want to get into the cycle of work commitments I did when I was young.

14 hours ago, Byron Allen Black said:

I am only twenty minutes from town and it is a world away from worlds. Yes, ambition is not at the heights of what I meet in town but most seem a lot happier. 50/50 in rates of good and bad but steering clear of the bars and the such for the past three years has opened my eyes up to the fact, over the years, hanging around shat people (50/50 mix of Thais and farangs) and not dealing with them now has improved my life tenfold. Only 10 years here this coming November so I am still a baby by most standards but many people whom I have met here and whom have gone home have set themselves up to fail (mostly due to being under 50, not enough funds or setting themselves up with shat people/gold diggers). Soon as I got away from the bar image an loser girls, things improved no end. Yet trying like I did once to live in a remote village with a family that used me made me understand not to put myself in such a position again. Learn by your mistakes. Our choice can make the difference in happiness just between a 5 day stop over or a 50 year layover like some of the old-timers have done here.

Edited by totally thaied up
Edited content
  • Like 2

On July 27, 2018 at 7:30 PM, LomSak27 said:

Now You are just cherry picking for the sake of argument. Toss out the tourists, leave Pattaya. And there you have a glittering Thailand of the Future.

im thinking thailand is going to evolve into a brothel of sorts for the chinese

thousands of men over there with small weiners who cant get off and when they do its rushed

they are also really stressed out in a communist country and need to get off. eventually they may have much more then a lane at the airport perhaps with a special train connection or some type of easy mass transport system

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 4:32 PM, dotpoom said:

I like my own company and do not have a need to be amoung people.  I will give help if I can be of assistance and that's about it.

This type of personality allows me the ability to live almost anywhere (that's warm and not expensive).

Same here, exactly. PS, don't PM me 555

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:32 PM, poanoi said:

i left after 13 years and moved to cambodia,

thinking it was going to be less painful

than any more visa runs to laos,

but i got that part wrong, i have not had so much

unbearable pain in the rest of the world combined

as i had in cambodia, so when my 3 years in exile

was finally up and i was 50, i moved back to thailand.

But: it became cemented injuries, i can no longer live a life,

i have too much pain every second, i wish for death

Very sorry to read comments like this. I don't know your situation, but my problems with Thailand have been mostly bureaucratic foolishness, such as the current situation with "proof of income". Thai bureaucracy seems to LIVE to make things more difficult than they have to be. I didn't expect to have everything as simple as it was when I lived in the USA, but the inflexibility of Thai Immigration is nearly intolerable unless you have money to burn. Even the "corruption" can sometimes be made to work in your favor, but bureaucracy here in Thailand is almost a textbook case of Max Weber's definitive analysis of the subject. It infects everything it touches.

• Like 2