TSPCA calls for end to people dumping pets at temples - and temples profiting from animals

webfact

TSPCA calls for end to people dumping pets at temples - and temples profiting from animals

4apm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The Thai Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals has written to the Sangha Supreme Council to call on temples to stop accepting people's unwanted pets and other animals.

And they have told the temples in no uncertain terms not to profit from cruelty to animals - or face jail.

Sanook reported that a large number of unwanted animals - and some sold for profit - end up at temples.

This is often under the guise of Buddhist kindness but often comes into the realm of animal cruelty and other crimes against animals.

Animals such as dogs are routinely left at temples for the monks to look after them. But they are in the way of their religious duties, said the TSPCA and often not properly cared for.

Other creatures like birds, turtles and wild boars end up in temples.

Birds are often accepted from illegal traders. These are then caged and "freed" to make merit and thus money for temple coffers.

Wild boars are seen at some temples in enclosures that ensure donations are made.

The TSPA told the Sangha Supreme Council by letter that this had to stop.

They warned of prosecutions for the temples and the public that could stretch to four year jail terms and fines of up to 40,000 baht if such practices continue.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-06

Better than nothing. Personally, I'd just like to see a national campaign of castration or spaying. Get at the problem at source. Might affect the trade with Cambodia I suppose. I've only seen one dead dog here, that's after 10+ years. Is there some sort of dogs' graveyard, a bit like the mythical elephants' graveyard.

In my experience, after 15 years in animal welfare in Thailand, pets are usually dumped at temples, without permission from the monks. It is the irresponsible pet owners that TSPCA should go after, rather than the monks, who often share their meager resources to keep the animals alive as best they can.

The abuse of using birds and other caged animals for display and profit, of course, is a legitimate concern and needs to be stopped.

7 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

in Thailand, pets are usually dumped at temples, without permission from the monks. It is the irresponsible pet owners that TSPCA should go after, rather than the monks, who often share their meager resources to keep the animals alive as best they can.

Ain't that the TRUTH!

I rather doubt the temples are getting rich from that particular angle. 
I also doubt that the care the animals receive significantly impacts their monastic duties. None of the local temple dogs or cats look neglected. 
Maybe a problem elsewhere.

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Fines up to 40,000 baht or jail ! can't see that happening when you see what some of these monks get up to and what penalty they recieve !

I could never have imagined a 100,000 baht fine for smoking a cigarette on a beach, yet in the beginning this was widely broadcast.

One of the joys of Thailand when different departments unleash their own judicial laws............................:thumbsup:

Can only HOPE there is “Follow Through” on this to end the Barbaric way some people here treat Dogs and other animals.

My wife and I assisted in the rescue of a beautiful but badly neglected dog in CNX about 12 years ago. We were at the time, about to move overseas but the Good Folks at Chiang Mai’s Care For Dogs, took her (we named her Duchess) in and looked after her for the rest of her life.

Duchess had sadly passed-on by the time we returned to Chiang Mai but she was a CLASSIC Example of the NEGLECT and Cruelty that is all too common here.

Go after the owners dumping the dogs at temples by all means.

But don't go after the monks, they do, do a good job.

caring for the dogs.

I also like the way the dogs at temples,   know a bad Somchai when they smell him.

very funny watching the dogs go at him barking like mad, and growling in packs at him,  whilst I try and find an 80 baht honest lottery seller. :jap:

It's not so bad when they dump soi dogs, who are mostly bred for this kind of life, but when they dump pedigrees, expecially the smaller breeds, that's beyond the pale. My heart breaks whenever I see a poodle mongrel living on the street. We have 4 dogs already under our wing, and that's the most I can handle, otherwise I'd be there taking care.

2 hours ago, nausea said:

It's not so bad when they dump soi dogs, who are mostly bred for this kind of life, but when they dump pedigrees, expecially the smaller breeds, that's beyond the pale. My heart breaks whenever I see a poodle mongrel living on the street. We have 4 dogs already under our wing, and that's the most I can handle, otherwise I'd be there taking care.

You're personalizing, but in reverse. This is what we have done to, among others, dogs. When it comes to abandoned animals, it is species first, this is what they revert to to survive.

First it is species, then it is breed and finally personalized name. This is the correct order but we all seem to lose sight of the species and to lesser effect, the breed.

Even poodles can be Alphas, don't believe in the dog eat dog world......................:thumbsup:

But I do see this new law as a good thing, but will it work?

For the last four years, I have been working with seven Wat's in my area. Helping them with the dogs and cats.

I teach the monks the right way to care for the dogs & cats, and what they need... They eat well every day and mostly tick/flea free.  All the dogs & cats have collars and tags, and I keep them up on all there shots. All the dogs & cats are Happy and Healthy in the seven Wat's... Just go to "Thailand Temple Dogs & Cats" on fb.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, nausea said:

Better than nothing. Personally, I'd just like to see a national campaign of castration or spaying. Get at the problem at source. Might affect the trade with Cambodia I suppose. I've only seen one dead dog here, that's after 10+ years. Is there some sort of dogs' graveyard, a bit like the mythical elephants' graveyard.

I think you might find some opposition to the idea of castrating or spaying monks. I could be wrong.

Archived