UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Yes but they will end up with the same sort of frustrations as the retired people here, paperwork, visas and always having to prove their income. Unless the can afford private health care they will have to return to the UK and be a burden on the NHS in case of major illness.

Is that how it was,before we got sucked into the EEC?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This is the precursor to a move towards a people's vote. If May's plan gets through then Brexit is safe and sound, but if it gets rejected I believe that people will vote against Brexit, and a document like this will help to seal the deal. 

You could be right, another attempt to expung the democratic will of the people. 

A document produced by whom exactly?

I suspect colleagues of Ollie Robbins, if not himself.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

It's been her plan all along....get a deal so bad that she'll be forced "reluctantly" to hold another "peoples vote" with a ballot that says "accept her deal" or "call it off" Her hope of course being that we see the error of our ways and vote to stay in.

I don't believe any of that. The problem is that people had unrealistic expectations about what any UK government could deliver in negotiations with the EU. Remainers warned that the deal would be inferior, and here we are. To lose the vote would be devastating for May, she genuinely wants to get her deal through. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I did watch a couple of Interveiws with University students, who were adamant that should we exit the E.u. that would automatically curtail their ability to go on holiday to Europe.

Likewise we’ve had all these scare stories, that planes would not be able to fly between The U.K. and Europe.

Well not so according to the Swedish born  CEO of Easyjet. Who within the last 30mins has come out and stated on BBC news. That he is 100% that eventually will never occur.

Sure, the vox pops that I watched featured a wide selection of dim wits from across the UK, most of whom voted leave ... :cheesy:

The planes thing was never likely to happen ... but the right to settle or retire is the more serious issue, and that will be severely curtailed for many, other than the wealthy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You could be right, another attempt to expung the democratic will of the people. 

The problem is that to be frank most people in the UK are prepared to go along with Brexit as long as sensible steps are taken to protect businesses and jobs, i.e. as long as you don't wreck the economy with a "no deal" scenario. If May's deal goes through I don't think you'll get too much blowback from remainers. You have Brexit, it's there in front of you, take it.

But for the sake of ideological purity it looks like the ERG are hell bent on a "no deal" ... and in my view that is what will lead to a second referendum. And faced with "no deal" people will kill Brexit dead. The analysis will have nothing to do with Robbins, it will hail from the financial guys, or independents. And it won't be pretty. And that is why Chucka Umma has pressed for it.

Edited by AlexRich

25 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Interesting, when people don’t vote your way it’s “to expunge the democratic will”. Says a lot about Brexiteers’ view on democracy (but who would be surprised). 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The "better deal" part comes from an independent world-wide trade policy, of which the EU would be a part, a dimishing part, as it has been for the last decade or two.

Does that “better deal” come from the same person who will invent the magic border technology for Ireland, who calculate the weekly NHS savings and who negotiates the easiest deals in history? 

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The "no deal" scenario has been hyped up by the CBI and other reactionaries, but it's just a bump in the road to an independent trade policy.

It’s been “hyped up” by literally everyone. Instead we believe those people who couldn’t even calculate the weekly savings for the NHS correctly? Come on. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Eh? The goal of Brexit is to get out of the EU, not to get a better deal with the EU.

The "better deal" part comes from an independent world-wide trade policy, of which the EU would be a part, a dimishing part, as it has been for the last decade or two.

Most of the world trades under WTO rules, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about trading under WTO rules.

The "no deal" scenario has been hyped up by the CBI and other reactionaries, but it's just a bump in the road to an independent trade policy. The alternative is a few more years of limbo.

People do get very confused about exchange rates - a weak pound is good for exports.

No deal would be a calamity for many businesses in the UK, the car and steel industries come to mind. And WTO is a club, and the members will not be giving the UK the same deal as it has currently as a member of the EU, countries like the US and New Zealand are seeing to that. Your bump in the road is some poor bugger's livelihood, not to mention some guys business that he's built up through many years. Despite a lower GBP our export performance has been decidedly lacklustre, and in no way compensates you for what you lose elsewhere. The "no deal" brexiteers either don't care about their fellow Brits or haven't worked out yet that they will be impacted. I bet quite a few Nissan workers voted Leave ... in a "no deal" scenario that decision will catch up with them. As for the great new trade deals, they will take a long time to set up and will come with many downsides. There are 11,000 members of the Northern Irish Farmers Union, they indicated last week that a US deal would destroy their industry. With "no deal" it's a case of beware of what you wish for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Hyped up by literally everyone? This just shows how narrow your reading is.

Yes, literally everyone, except the hardcore Brexiteers, have realized by now that "no deal" is pretty bad. Do a Google search and then count the opinions.

It doesn't come from a person, it comes self-determination - having control of one's own trade policy.

Are you writing those "get rich quick" books? They also tell people you just need to believe in it.

I've said this many times before, but it looks like I'll have to say it again. The WTO does not require a hard border between NI and Ireland.

Does the WTO require a border between the USA and Mexico, or between Greece and Turkey?

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Expat always overvalued their worth to a country. In future retirees will need to show proof of income, property ownership will come into doubt and of course the big one I'd they'll need pay for their own health care.

Any work will be taken.into account and they will need to register with the local authorities. They will be immigrants like people from anywhere outside the EU

All Eu nationals are required to register with the local authorities. of the EU country they reside in if they intend to stay longer than 90 days

for example The ‘Anmeldung’

If you are going to work or study in Germany or if you will be living there for more than 3 months, you need to get registered as a resident. The registration (Anmeldung) process can be complicated, so it is best to prepare beforehand.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Germany/Germany-Guide/Visas-Permits/Residence-registration-in-Germany

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

All Eu nationals are required to register with the local authorities. of the EU country they reside in if they intend to stay longer than 90 days

for example The ‘Anmeldung’

If you are going to work or study in Germany or if you will be living there for more than 3 months, you need to get registered as a resident. The registration (Anmeldung) process can be complicated, so it is best to prepare beforehand.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Germany/Germany-Guide/Visas-Permits/Residence-registration-in-Germany

It's the opposite of "complicated". You make an appointment online, go there, done.

4 hours ago, tebee said:

Yes but they will end up with the same sort of frustrations as the retired people here, paperwork, visas and always having to prove their income. Unless the can afford private health care they will have to return to the UK and be a burden on the NHS in case of major illness.

The UK has a residency based healthcare system. This means provision of NHS treatment is based on being ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, not on your nationality, payment of UK taxes or national insurance contributions, owning a property, being registered with a GP or having an NHS number. A British citizen who resumes settled residence in the UK is immediately entitled to free NHS care. If a British citizen resides only overseas and is visiting the UK, they may be charged for hospital treatment unless they have a registered S1, described below, in another EEA country

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Re calamity and no deal. It all depends on the specific tariff and trade policy. The UK would be free to set tariffs and trade policy for specific sectors to maintain the status quo if it chose to. This would be extremely simple and does not require negotiation with the EU, and would preserve frictionless imports in those sectors. 

What about exports? Most likely, they're not going to be frictionless.

Also, whatever tariff rules apply to EU imports also have to applied to the imports from virtually all other nations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Eh? The goal of Brexit is to get out of the EU, not to get a better deal with the EU.

The "better deal" part comes from an independent world-wide trade policy, of which the EU would be a part, a diminishing part, as it has been for the last decade or two.

People do get very confused about exchange rates - a weak pound is good for exports.

if your trying to say the UKs trade with EU is diminishing you need help,yes china's strength might of slowed it but to say its diminishing is <deleted>,as for shit exchange rates helping exports since the pound lost 15%+ after brexit the trade deficit actually widened so that puts that theory to bed,maybe a loss of another 20-25% might help but imagine how many expats would be jumping from the top of VT 1+2 at 32bt/pound,quite a few me thinks.your basically saying the UK needs to start from scratch again,well you might get your wish when commrade corbyn first term is over.

• Haha 1