UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

56 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage/ukip-tommy-robinson-new-bnp/

The ramifications for Brexit PR and the cause as a whole could be big, and not in a positive way. I'd agree with Farage that this has not been thought through.

????

I am not at all surprised. All the same people. Awful. ???????????????????????????? (flag of Great Yarmouth)

40 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

and...more correctly, you still fail to make a valid point of any kind in your very 'succinct' verbal diarrhea, or attempt to challenge any of mine.

Don't like the points I make and many agree with? Tough.

We can only hope Grouse season is starting soon.

????

The Grouse season began on the glorious 13th of August because shooting on Sundays is illegal as you will know. The season ends on 11 December so get your Purdey out now!

Nice to see you Brexiters still hurdles together for warmth ????

Edited by Grouse
Bloody apostrophes sticking their noses in where they're not wanted.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I'm still of the opinion that it is you who will be sorely disappointed, with the possibility of a 'people's vote' being simply that... The audacity of such a name too, unbelievable condescension.

It would seem there isn't time for the government to draft a new bill to put through the Houses / vote on and pass the bill (as they can't agree on the price of tea right now), and then allow the public to vote again - many of whom, I'd wager would abstain or stick to their original opinion. It would then have to be enshrined into UK law. 3 months doesn't seem long enough, but who knows, the amount of skulduggery going on within UK politics, corners could be cut it, so it can't be ruled out. The public's collapse in confidence would be dramatic and long-lasting though, IMO.

Bottom line is, the people have spoken and made themselves clear, if that decision is not listened to then democracy is simply whatever the political class want it to be and is no longer dictated by the people - the game would be up. Democracy = (lit.) rule by the people. This infers that our voices are heard and our will listened to, by majority rule. Especially in the instance of national referenda, NOT - 'oh, uh, we didn't like your first answer, have another go, please'. If we are to call ourselves a democracy and keep a straight face, then the people must be listened to. It can be dressed up in any number of ways by those who got the shock of their life in 2016, but the result still stands. Gina Millar and her band of patronising cohorts like to say for example that the issue was too 'complex' for the nation to vote on. Although I dislike her smug arrogance, she does, to some degree, have a point. However a referendum was what was offered to the people, as the gutless politicians didn't want to make the wrong or 'unpopular' decision themselves, so they gave this 'power' to the people. If this is your chosen course of action as a government, spineless in many respects though it is, then you'd better bloody well listen to what the people tell you to do. Otherwise the veil of democracy is liable to fall altogether and people will see modern politics for what it is. The second point worth making about the suggestion of a 2nd ref. is this - if everyone (who didn't get the result they wanted) is so exercised about a referendum being the way the decision was made, and that the issue was and remains a far too complex one for the man/woman in the street to answer - then why on earth would you favour a rerun?!? Totally illogical - unless, perhaps - you're desperately hoping for the first result to be overturned - and imagine that with the aid of project Fear 24/7 and the inevitable political incompetence transforming things into an almighty clusterf*** - you may get just that result. Then the points being made about the first referendum are conveniently forgotten and suddenly referendums and their results are valid once again. Pretty damn subversive, if you ask me. Why any ordinary member of the public would support this kind of subterfuge is unfathomable.

The danger now is that Brexit may only be a nominal one, if the 'deal' gets through parliament that is, which still seems unlikely. If it doesn't, well then I just pray that we leave as we were promised we would. Simply meaning no 21 month transition period, no 'divorce' settlement, no 'bespoke' deal - the UK didn't vote for this anyhow. The country simply exits quietly and unceremoniously on March 29th 2019. WTO rules ensue and we take our future in our own hands and make the best of it, restoring long overdue independence and some much needed confidence in our nation and democratic legitimacy. A cull within the political class is sorely needed too, of course.

Should this happen then I and many millions more democratic Britons will have a little faith restored in our country and a little more hope for our future. Fingers firmly x'd.

The numbers that matter are 27-28% of the population voted for Brexit.

37-38% of the electorate voted for Brexit.

The referendum was 52% leave 48% remain.

You won one ballot on one day.

You can spin it any way you want but you can't call it "the will of the people".

The brexiteers lied about everything,there are legitimate questions about their finances and foreign influence still to be answered.

Whatever the outcome the countries of the UK are hopelessly divided.

One good thing is that the campaign for another referendum has put Jeremy Corbyn on the spot he is a leaver but the majority of the "members" of the Labour party are remainers so he has been "hoisted by his own petard" he was elected twice by the members after giving them the power to elect their leader over their MPs.

One way or another their will have to be an election and or another referendum and that may not solve the cluster that is Brexit.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, Baerboxer said:

Where does it say that the decision was final and can never be voted on again?

Brexiters trying to deny democracy again.

Fantasy Farage ,  the pied piper leading  the fools. Remember the good old  days ,  Gbp, 45 baht . 

Any one looked at the recent 5 year forecast for Gbp, not looking pretty.

24 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

This same old tired rhetoric being wheeled out yet again eh?. 

27-28% of the population voted for Brexit.

This is not an argument. How many of the remainder were either not eligible to vote at the time or not on the electoral roll? This would likely be the same (if not less) in the event of a re-run. People die and people become of age to vote. The numbers stay roughly the same. The one thing that would change these numbers more significantly is people getting themselves on the electoral roll of their own volition. That may happen in the event of a re-run, something tells me it probably won't, though. 

You seem to be ignorant of the fact that those who do not vote do not count in the democratic process, by default! BTW: I can totally understand why people don't usually bother to vote, especially at national/general elections, but this was neither - it was a special (supposed) one-off vote that was given to the people to decide on - regarding one specific issue, and don't forget it was the largest voter turnout in British History. 33+ million people is a huge electoral turnout for the UK - way above anything else we have ever had and the majority of that electorate voted FOR Brexit. That says a lot!

This is how voting works mate, it happens over a short period and isn't a continuous drawn out process over many days or weeks, for (what should be) obvious reasons. So again - what is your point here? I don't think you have one.

You can spin it any way you want but you can't call it "the will of the people".

Very simply - yes it was, yes we can, and we will. Because this is the truth of the matter, inconvenient though it may be for those who didn't get the result they desired. Don't like the current system we have? Then how about proposing a new way of voting?

The Brexiteers lied about everything, there are legitimate questions about their finances and foreign influence still to be answered.

There were undoubtedly a lot of lies, exaggerations and distortion of facts put out by both sides, but to be fair, Remain were by far and away worse in this respect. The spending/foreign influence arguments are purely conjecture and none of it has been proven and I doubt ever will be, there is nowhere near enough evidence, the spurious conjecture is all we ever hear of course. I wonder why? The exact same accusation re: government funding, inflated spending allowances & BBC partiality was leveled at the Remain campaign too don't forget. Far less coverage of that of course. The BBC acting as a virtual mouthpiece for Remain for one thing, that inequality is rarely if ever taken into account by Remoaners.

No argument there! Here's to hoping that those who didn't get their way grow up & attempt to unite going forward. It's well overdue at this point.

I won't go into the Labour / Corbyn points, but I would like to ask you this:

Just say that Remain had won, and you had got your wish for us to stay in the EU no questions asked - in ALL honesty - would you still be making the same erroneous claims that you are?

And secondly, let's say the worst case scenario comes to fruition and we are forced into a 2nd ref., we have it and the result comes out at around the same small margin - but with a defeat for Leave, but this time we see a smaller proportion of the population/electorate voting, as I think would be the case, not least because of Brexit ennui; let's say 20% of the total population vote and of that 20% the electorate is reduced to around 30% for Remain vs 28% for Leave, will you still be making the same strident claims about 'the will of the people'? Something tells me you definitely wouldn't and here lies the problem - these trivial claims are just total hypocrisy on your and a great many other Remoaners' behalves. 

Lastly, just say we do have the referendum a 2nd time and the result comes back with another slim margin victory for Leave, will you and every other Remainer promise to shut up and move on with your life? 

No,I'm retired it's the highlight of my day winding you up.I'm off to north Wales tomorrow for a month, walking the dogs every day.Back to Amsterdam 6 Jan get my visa from the Thai consulate arrive Bangkok 16 Jan till 7 March.Don't do anything to f!#k up the euro from now till January please,behave.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, adammike said:

The numbers that matter are 27-28% of the population voted for Brexit.

The referendum was 52% leave 48% remain.

The brexiteers lied about everything,there are legitimate questions about their finances and foreign influence still to be answered.

One good thing is that the campaign for another referendum has put Jeremy Corbyn on the spot he is a leaver but the majority of the "members" of the Labour party are remainers so he has been "hoisted by his own petard" he was elected twice by the members after giving them the power to elect their leader over their MPs.

One way or another their will have to be an election and or another referendum and that may not solve the cluster that is Brexit.

As your focus on numbers Remember that less people voted for Remain

• Like 2

No,I'm retired it's the highlight of my day winding you up.I'm off to north Wales tomorrow for a month, walking the dogs every day.Back to Amsterdam 6 Jan get my visa from the Thai consulate arrive Bangkok 16 Jan till 7 March.Don't do anything to f!#k up the euro from now till January please,behave.

Is that capitulation to reason that I hear? At least you have the good sense to cut your losses. By the way you don't wind me up in the slightest, I enjoy the debate - obviously, it keeps me sharp. Thanks for your efforts.

And I'm flattered that you think I have the influence to manipulate currency fluctuations, ta very much. Enjoy Wales, 'Dam and Bangers! I'll try my best to behave until your arrival. You sound a bit like my missus! ????  

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

Pwllheli...?

The EU does not want to compensate the UK for any money it invested into the EEC/EU over the last 45 years that still exists as tangible assets, like buildings and quite a bit of wine I wouldn't mind having a go at etc. This could have been fairly handled as a lump sum discount from the final divorce bill but the EU Commission does not play fair does it? So there's no chance of that happening.  

You are perfectly free to believe that the wonder woman single handedly brought the EU debt estimate down from the 100 billion mark to the 39 figure.

She had a very good reason for fending off any talk on refunds - self interest.