Grab prices! No thanks !

anon537687643

23 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Songthaews work well on the standard routes where you can just jump in the back and pay the standard rate.  But if you try to charter them to go someplace that they aren't going anyway, then the prices are set the same way as with tuk-tuks.

I hired one to go to the bus station. Definitely cheaper than tuk tuk quote. And he brought me back too.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:36 AM, atyclb said:

grab experience in vietnam

easy to get a car during peak traffic hours at the highest price but if you need a car for the same route during low demand time cheap price the cars will accept then cancel. i have seen them drive in circles to avoid coming to passenger. i have had up to 10 cars within the same hour pull this crap. the price is less off hour but they get to destination fast and dont lose time in traffic.

Why would you use grab in Vietnam?? Vina sun white taxis are everywhere and always use the meter. 

43 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Why would you use grab in Vietnam?? Vina sun white taxis are everywhere and always use the meter. 

Not sure why BKK Grab is so expensive because my experience with them was entirely different in Vietnam. I found Grab to be excellent and by far much better than the local taxis. I was ripped off twice in Da Nang both by local taxis, in contrast the Grab pickups were efficient, clean modern vehicles and I always knew what the cost of the fare would be.

I will be in BKK next week and I intend to use Grab to get around.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, zzidenn said:

it also really depends on which grab option you choose. i’m usually very happy to pay a premium for a nice grab car, i would never book grab taxi, because thats just another shitty taxi. if its just money that matters to you than you should take a bus 

EXACTLY, In Pattaya I NEVER order a  "Grab Taxi" as the Pattaya Mafia Taxi drivers are also on Grab.

I am happy to pay the extra for a nice"Grab Car"  and I would NOT give a penny /cent/satang to the Taxi Mafia.            If you think the same way I urge you to boycott the Mafia Taxi's.

If you are happy with the current Taxi's that is of course your choice. 

EXACTLY, In Pattaya I NEVER order a  "Grab Taxi" as the Pattaya Mafia Taxi drivers are also on Grab.
I am happy to pay the extra for a nice"Grab Car"  and I would NOT give a penny /cent/satang to the Taxi Mafia.            If you think the same way I urge you to boycott the Mafia Taxi's.
If you are happy with the current Taxi's that is of course your choice. 

Grab taxis are often also Grab car in Bangkok

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Out of maybe the last 10 times I've used grab I've had a couple of taxis. I think I paid a 70baht premium over the meter on a trip to Bang na. I don't mind the added expensive if it means I can wait in the A/C and not have to be an audible GPS for the driver.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, Fairynuff said:

I find Grab prices in Bangkok generally a fair bit higher than a metered taxi. But I get picked up where I want, I know how much I’m paying and there are often promo codes to reduce the cost. Unless it’s getting towards double the meter price then I’m ok with paying a bit more for a Grab

I have been using nothing grab and taxis and have been highly satisfied with the services I have received from both. Yesterday, when it was raining cats and monkeys, I took a grab since it was easier to have them pick me up right at my door. I took a cab back, and the difference was like 30 Baht. I'm not going to sweat that

I have been using nothing grab and taxis and have been highly satisfied with the services I have received from both. Yesterday, when it was raining cats and monkeys, I took a grab since it was easier to have them pick me up right at my door. I took a cab back, and the difference was like 30 Baht. I'm not going to sweat that

When it’s raining prices escalate considerably, so 30 baht difference must have been a very short trip

In Udon a have had TukTuk's asking for 250-300 when a Grab taxi quotes 110 day in day out (not sure if they have a peak/off peak policy but I doubt it, maybe different in BKK though).

My only gripe with Grab is that here they will not collect you from out of town to come back to the city even though they supplied the outbound journey.  I get the impression that they think it's further to do the circuit one way than the other (seriously).

On 8/16/2018 at 3:35 PM, flyingtlger said:
On 8/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, markaoffy said:

271 baht to a destination in Bangkok of 25km at 6pm ,peak traffic.. return journey at 9pm quote price 296 baht.no traffic problem . Took taximeter 207 baht! RIp off Scam Grab Taxi Thailand ‬

Hmmmm....we're talking about a 90 baht difference one way....that's less than $3.00.....considering the convenience factor and haggling hassles especially with unscupulous taxi drivers that refuse to use the meter, I think it worth it unless your name is Charlie.....

Funny how you call the taxi drivers unscrupulous when they ask for more than the legal fare, but it's okay for Grab drivers to do it?  And Uber surge pricing was fine, but not okay for metered cabs on Sukhumvit when the bars close down?

If Grab, Uber, and the like are going to compete in the market, they should be subject to the same laws as the folks whose jobs they're displacing.  That's not to say I agree with the laws.  Just that they should be implemented evenly.

30 minutes ago, Shiver said:

My only gripe with Grab is that here they will not collect you from out of town to come back to the city even though they supplied the outbound journey.  I get the impression that they think it's further to do the circuit one way than the other (seriously).

Makes perfect sense to me.  They have some percent chance of picking up a return fare if they haul you out of town. 

If you hail them from out of town, they have 0% chance of getting a fare in the opposite direction.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:14 PM, markaoffy said:

Absolutely ! Uber leaving left Grab free reign to screw its customers !

And besides non-meter using taxis, what were the options before Uber and Grab?

Hint:     taxis  that refused to use the meter.

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  They have some percent chance of picking up a return fare if they haul you out of town. 

If you hail them from out of town, they have 0% chance of getting a fare in the opposite direction.

I live in the city though, so I go out of town, then am looking for a lift back to the city, so their final destination is where they want to finish.  They will do the outward journey though where they are less likely to get job in a non densely populated area for the return leg of the first journey to the city.

Worse than that though, I tip good as a gesture when I ask for their number where they assure me that they will come when I telephone them, and give them an approximate time as well - happened multiple times, and it causes a lot of hassle and expense working out how to find an alternative to them  Maybe I should with hold the tip until the return leg is complete.  Moot now as I bought my missus a new car so she taxis me if I ever want to go somewhere (which typically is for a few beers with friends, so there's no way I'm going to drive).

On 8/16/2018 at 7:58 AM, suzannegoh said:

If Big C sells a bottle of beer for 30 baht and 711 sells the same beer for 35 baht, is 711 pulling a scam?

Since Uber clearly tells the customer that there are peak time periods where a premium is charged I think it's unfair to accuse the company of scamming customers.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:35 AM, markaoffy said:

Yes

Clearly you and I have a different definition of the word scam.    Thankfully,  you have the option to vote with your feet and avoid Grab or buying the 35 baht beer in 711.

In general, the private conveyance systems offered in SouthEastAsia are incredibly inexpensive IMHO.      The same distance covered by a taxi in the UK, Australia or the USA or any Western country would likely straighten up your back. 

I'm obviously thankful for Uber not only because it's convenient and inexpensive  but I think it may help to cut down on drunk driving in  Thailand at least in regards to falangs.   I know i've gone out for the evening to bars taking Grab because I knew I didn't want to end up driving home.

Good luck with your transportation choices.

17 hours ago, K in BKK said:

Out of maybe the last 10 times I've used grab I've had a couple of taxis. I think I paid a 70baht premium over the meter on a trip to Bang na. I don't mind the added expensive if it means I can wait in the A/C and not have to be an audible GPS for the driver.

I forgot to mention that. My grab guy knew exactly where to go, and I had to play GPS on the way back with some taxi driver that did not speak English.

I noticed an orange taxi displaying a Grab logo the other night.  So they reinvented the wheel.  I took a meter 32 Km to Swampy the other night in a downpour/flash flood....347 THB.  Zero issues with the cab...Stillkind of wished I had been on the ARL, after the road flooding issues, though.