A peep into a non plastic world of future.

madusa

Is it possible to get rid of all the plastic things in my house? Other than of course some vital things like wires or plugs that I cannot possibly get rid off. Even bookcase or container made of plastic have to go.

No plastic handle knife , no plastic cup , plates  etc.,

All the plates and bowls, cups are porcelain . Except garbage bags (can't be help) .

Has anyone try this sort of lifestyle at all? If this life style is being adopted world wide the value and price of wood will shoot up.

Do give some ideas if you have.

By the way I got to know and make friend with a porcelain maker then bought some of his rejected stuffs at very cheap price he was probably wondering why I did that.(he got quite a bit of rejected stuffs all over the place) They were not bad actually but he being an expert see all the faults in his own work. I don't care if somebody come for dinner and say my plate is not quite flat, I will tell him or her a hungry person doesn't look at the plate he looks at the foods. See you not hungry know what I mean? (that would shut them up wouldn't it?)

Remember Plastic doesn't disintegrate for another 120 years. Your cups and plates will continue to leach chemicals into the soil for your great grand children. What a disaster waiting for them. A disaster that you knowingly created and did not care to minimize that will be what they think of you. Selfishness.

Edited by madusa
add more words
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes but instead of fixing some problem you're only going to be adding to it.

Think about what you're suggesting here...you're talking about throwing goods away that as you mention are good for another 100+ years, for no other reason that preventing plastic in the garbage...does that really make much sense ?

Ukrules , you have not really understood what I wrote.  Never mind those plastic cup leach chemical into you brain making your thoughts foggy perhaps. You should dispose of those cups in your house especially that electric plastic kettle you are using it 's the biggest culprit.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes but instead of fixing some problem you're only going to be adding to it.

Think about what you're suggesting here...you're talking about throwing goods away that as you mention are good for another 100+ years, for no other reason that preventing plastic in the garbage...does that really make much sense ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Sure live like everyone did before the 1930’s before the time of modern plastics. 

Guest you’ve been reading some click bait / conspiracy articles about ‘leeching’ chemicals but what would I know?....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

We would still be living in caves, dragging our mrs round by the hair and eating raw meat were some people to have their way.

Porcelain????

Any idea of the carbon footprint that stuff makes?? The heat required to turn out pretty porcelain is substantial.

OK but caves are popular lately and are becoming a good earner for some.  Moving on to dragging the mrs around with her hair,  she loves and screams for more when I thrash her bare bum with a bamboo stick, naturally with the thorns still attached. And thirdly here in Issan very few cook meat problem and enjoy it almost raw so in fact life without plastic would not be all that bad.

But joking aside the world has become wholly dependent on  plastics and as , for example, Kevlar is one of those such products and used so much from structural steel reinforcement/replacement/body armour to F1 monocoque construction the environmentalists unfortunately adopted an ill thought out simplistic approach. Whilst the world has a huge problem with plastic waste there would just be an even bigger problem if you banned it outright tomorrow.  Most industries in the world would need to shut down

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, madusa said:

Ukrules , you have not really understood what I wrote.  Never mind those plastic cup leach chemical into you brain making your thoughts foggy perhaps. You should dispose of those cups in your house especially that electric plastic kettle you are using it 's the biggest culprit.

Your tiny fight against the plastic plague is futile. It will only help your silly self-esteem, believing that one little person can make a difference. A real difference obviously must be governmental. But at least for now you have a shiny halo over your head.   

• Like 2

A few years ago we lived in a house next to a piece of land where a large Thai family stayed.  They had two or three houses and outside was a giant pit where they threw all of their garbage.  Plastic bottles, plastic bags by the hundreds.  Who knows what else they threw in there.  The pile grew and grew and I quietly kept thinking, "That is so bad for the ground water and the environment."  Then one day they set the whole thing on fire, right in front of their house where their kids play.  

Take a trip to an industrial part of China, or go to Mumbai or Nepal.  Or just go to your nearest industrial estate and scoop up a (non-plastic) bowl of water from the drainage ditch aside the road....  You'll get a glimpse of just how futile the plastic products in your home really are.  It's sad but true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

Your tiny fight against the plastic plague is futile. It will only help your silly self-esteem, believing that one little person can make a difference. A real difference obviously must be governmental. But at least for now you have a shiny halo over your head.   

Your stance on plastic is laudable but . . . . . . . . . here is a link to the 'Spectator ' worth reading 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/revealed-the-truth-about-plastic/ it is an informative read even in this information overload world.

The main threat of plastic nowadays is the effect it's having on wildlife on land and sea.

Technology will eventually find a way to deal with plastics. Already there's a plant designed by CSIRO in Australia which can fit on the back of a pickup, and recycle plastic to other products.

I'm predicting plastics will be designed in the future which can be broken down to the original monomer by exposure to specific radiation wavelengths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Yes come to think of it you are right . My self-esteem always rear its ugly head behind the keyboard. That shiny halo over my head , oh that was when angel Gabriel so graciously put that halo over my head and told me I was the chosen one to fight this futile plastic plague.Behold he said, for you shall be reward for attempting to save this world. Then he said "Jesus loves you". I replied, "no good saying that when he is always hiding his face, he needs to show himself because people especially europeans are thinking he is a fake" I was surprised that Angel Gabriel looks so much like an Arab..

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't fly, watch any media,  own a phone,  washer,  iron,  car,  Use PVC plumbing, insulation for electricity... Yeah,  works for me. 

4 hours ago, action said:

I think you need to do some research and learn more about "Plastic".  I've worked in the plastic industry for years and I can tell you there are many many different kinds of plastic that all have different properties.  There are biodegradable plastics being used today.  Your understanding of this issues seems to be very outdated and you seem to ignore the negative effects of all other materials used in your home.  I admire you trying to make a difference, but your approach is ignorant.  

Played golf at Disney owned course in Florida and this is quite a few years ago. They provided biodegradable tees for you to use instead 

of wood or other plastic. .... they were doing their part which is admiral.

OP don’t let the plastics drive you over the edge. Do your part to limit 

usage of bags etc. And teach you friends and neighbors. Don’t Drive yourself into a glass bubble....

18 hours ago, madusa said:

Is it possible to get rid of all the plastic things in my house?

The short answer is "yes", just get rid of them by giving away what can be reused, and dispose what might be considered as unusable junk.

In reality it might be a bit more complicated, so why not take a holistic look, and head for a sensible compromise?

I appreciate your idea of porcelain – In my house I don't allow plastic plates and glass, the latter always real glass – however for certain use plastic might be practical, and Okay if fair used, and fair disposed. Old-fashioned glass containers can by the way be used for food storage instead of smart plastic cases, and you're still able to get drinking water in glass bottles, but that might be the more up-priced natural mineral water, where we have the transport pollution to consider. Thais believe that plastic bottles spoils the quality of for example cola; Est, the replacement of Pepsi, still comes in glass bottles, and I presume most folks would not like beer from a plastic bottle (they tried in may home country, but gave up many years ago). I cannot judge if it's real or just mental; however it's more nostalgic with a 25 cl  Coca Cola bottle in glass, than ½-liter plastic., when sharing a sometime coke together with a visiting old friend...?

Often the World is not black'n'white, but include at least 50 shades of gray, so in my opinion it's a question of a relative to one's own belief, reasonable balance...?

Edited by khunPer

2 hours ago, madusa said:

Yes come to think of it you are right . My self-esteem always rear its ugly head behind the keyboard. That shiny halo over my head , oh that was when angel Gabriel so graciously put that halo over my head and told me I was the chosen one to fight this futile plastic plague.Behold he said, for you shall be reward for attempting to save this world. Then he said "Jesus loves you". I replied, "no good saying that when he is always hiding his face, he needs to show himself because people especially europeans are thinking he is a fake" I was surprised that Angel Gabriel looks so much like an Arab..

Initially, I was drawn to this strange thread to offer my thoughts along with others to point out the brutal reality of how impossible and insignificant the extent of your personal anti plastic crusade in your household really is.  On a positive note, your environmental efforts would be of much greater use promoting community plastic waste recycling. In terms of the overall environment, those few grams of plastic you are desperately trying to extricate from your home can be more easily recovered in a short 2 minute walk, picking up some plastic trash outside. However, now that it is clear that you are not another out of touch environmental nutcase needing a dose of reality, and your noble quest is driven by a result of pure divine spiritual intervention, I think that no contrary facts that anyone may present here will ever change your mind.  Rock on dude... Jesus Loves You.

You can but what next, this type of thinking you can't save the world it isn't just plastic? A normal person does their share this type of thinking if it isn't plastic it would be something else anal retentive. This is a classic case of people who complain about the environment like Al Gore then gets into his polluting Jet!

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

Initially, I was drawn to this strange thread to offer my thoughts along with others to point out the brutal reality of how impossible and insignificant the extent of your personal anti plastic crusade in your household really is.  On a positive note, your environmental efforts would be of much greater use promoting community plastic waste recycling. In terms of the overall environment, those few grams of plastic you are desperately trying to extricate from your home can be more easily recovered in a short 2 minute walk, picking up some plastic trash outside. However, now that it is clear that you are not another out of touch environmental nutcase needing a dose of reality, and your noble quest is driven by a result of pure divine spiritual intervention, I think that no contrary facts that anyone may present here will ever change your mind.  Rock on dude... Jesus Loves You.

Let's make it short, this bipolar thoughts -that is your "jesus loves you" I just couldn't feel any love from Jesus because I haven't met him . It's like you telling me a Mr Brown in London says he loves you. Well? Who is he? I haven't met him so how am I supposed to react. It's the same with Jesus. See what I meant?

1 hour ago, madusa said:

Let's make it short, this bipolar thoughts -that is your "jesus loves you" I just couldn't feel any love from Jesus because I haven't met him . It's like you telling me a Mr Brown in London says he loves you. Well? Who is he? I haven't met him so how am I supposed to react. It's the same with Jesus. See what I meant?

Thought Jesus is a Brazilian football player

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Waiting for the day when plastics are made to be edible and consumed. 

The perfect win-win recycling scheme. 

We are a marvelous species, aren't we? 

?

Excellant idea.   Then when your pc starts giving you problems you can just bite it

• Haha 2