What's the point of so much power?

OneMoreFarang

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for the video!

I think that sums up this topic. Is there any rider out there in TV land who would dare to use all that power from that 600cc bike?

I think it's absolutely scary to watch this. Who needs more power? And if you think you need more will you be faster than that guy on the little 600?

It is simply about acceleration, is this so difficult to understand for you? A 200hp (1000cc) bike just kicks more than a 130hp (600cc) bike, does have nothing to do with what is nessecary ?

This power won't be used in sharp curves (on a curvy road you would most likely be faster with a lighter 600cc bike) but on straight road sections.

Edited by jackdd

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for the video!

I think that sums up this topic. Is there any rider out there in TV land who would dare to use all that power from that 600cc bike?

I think it's absolutely scary to watch this. Who needs more power? And if you think you need more will you be faster than that guy on the little 600?

No way,  1000 cc riders IOM are faster, I think a clear road race circuit set up in Thailand would be possible.

I think you have missed the point in your own thread and have lost the point of so much power.

as a younger man i raced in the ST. GEORGE series in Australia, I rode a kawasaki z900, ex formula extreme bike.

most of the guys i rode with and raced against were smaller than me, i only ever saw one racer who was bigger, 

i am 190 cm and 125 kilo's before putting on gear.  thats 6'4" and bloody heavy, it aint fat i am just a bloody big guy.

anyways with bikes it comes down to power to weight, a light weight racer @ 55 kg's on a 600 would probably keep up with me in a straight line but when you are racing another bike with the same horsepower, a lightweight would leave me for dust.

i just came back from a weekend down south and my current steed has around 200 HP, however before you start blathering on, it was fully loaded with me, the bitter half @50 kg's and two panniers full of her makeup and high heels and crap and a bikini the size of a postage stamp.

I found that when duelling with the moronic pick up drivers and other SUV driving imbeciles it is much safer to simply twist the throttle and get away from them,  as a habit i always ride slightly faster than the other traffic so i only really have to worry about the muppets in front of me.

i could not do this on a 600cc or 500 cc bike, sometimes you need that extra oomph.

moose

15 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

I found that when duelling with the moronic pick up drivers and other SUV driving imbeciles it is much safer to simply twist the throttle and get away from them,  as a habit i always ride slightly faster than the other traffic so i only really have to worry about the muppets in front of me. 

i could not do this on a 600cc or 500 cc bike, sometimes you need that extra oomph. 

You hardly see people driving more than 130km/h, so a bit faster than them would be 140km/h, even with a CB500 this is no big deal.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You hardly see people driving more than 130km/h, so a bit faster than them would be 140km/h, even with a CB500 this is no big deal.

papa has seen 153 on odo of ceeber 150.

[although my eyes were watering quite a bit.]

58 minutes ago, jackdd said:

140kph with BIG rider, a passenger and saddlebags fully loaded sure it may do it but it is gunna take a while to get there.

and i got passed by some guy in a SUV when i was doing 140.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 4:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If people want to buy and ride these bikes that is fine with me. I started this thread to better understand why people do it. My intention was not and is not to say something bad about them. If they like it they should do it.

Except from racing where it really counts who is fastest I think riding bikes is about having fun and sometimes getting from A to B. Is more power always more fun? I don't know. I remember once the wind shield from my sports bike was broken so I rode it without that shied for a few kilometer. At that time 100km/h felt like 140 (or something like that). My conclusion from that was that the fun counts and not the speed. Now I have a naked bike which feels fast even with 100km/h...

I remember long time ago I read an interview with the rally driver Walter Röhrl. The interviewer asked him how he felt about driving within the speed limit of 100km/h in his home country Austria. Röhrl replied something like: It depends on the car. It's boring with a sport cars but it's a challenge with a VW Bus (Volkswagen Type 2 Transporter).

Well i have a 127 hp custom bike for decades and love it...you know the thing also can drive slow and doesn't make any noise...but if i rev it well than it's a monster and i love it...goes 220 but that's enough without windprotection. Would never have a bike like that in Thailand because it's too dangerous there on the roads...

I also would like a 200 hp bike, why not? It also can drive slow and the kick for me is to feel the power pushing me forward, don't care much about max. speed.

But in Europe we have loads and loads of speedingcamera's which fill fine one if driving 53 km/hr...on my bike it's almost impossible to drive that speed, just a tiny handmovement makes it go 80...so after some of those fines and warnings i stopped driving often.

What i don't understand is how motordrivers in Thailand can wear a leather suit...i would feel absolutely terrible in that and the heat. Would even go by car..

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

It is simply about acceleration, is this so difficult to understand for you? A 200hp (1000cc) bike just kicks more than a 130hp (600cc) bike, does have nothing to do with what is nessecary ?

This power won't be used in sharp curves (on a curvy road you would most likely be faster with a lighter 600cc bike) but on straight road sections.

I get it, don't worry. It is not too difficult to understand that a bike with more power has more acceleration. And you can use all that power if you have a straight street in front of you.

I know the feeling of good acceleration - but maybe not of extreme good acceleration. It's exiting.

But then again looking at the 600cc video what is it all about? Is it really about 1 or 10km/h faster or acceleration which is a little better? I think it's about the excitement of riding a bike - and in this case to it's limits.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I get it, don't worry. It is not too difficult to understand that a bike with more power has more acceleration. And you can use all that power if you have a straight street in front of you.

I know the feeling of good acceleration - but maybe not of extreme good acceleration. It's exiting.

But then again looking at the 600cc video what is it all about? Is it really about 1 or 10km/h faster or acceleration which is a little better? I think it's about the excitement of riding a bike - and in this case to it's limits.

It's a real kick to drive 100 next to a car, then you hit the throttle and speed off like a rocket, like the car is standing still....

It's also a kick to beat a sportsbike on a custom..or a supersportscar who even blows up his engine during the race (i had that)...

It''s just an adventure to drive a powerfull bike...but also be very carefull...when i pull up full power and there's a steel drainlid in the road the wheel will spin on that and find grip again after it...sand in corners is the biggest fear...

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

It's a real kick to drive 100 next to a car, then you hit the throttle and speed off like a rocket, like the car is standing still....

It's also a kick to beat a sportsbike on a custom..or a supersportscar who even blows up his engine during the race (i had that)...

It''s just an adventure to drive a powerfull bike...but also be very carefull...when i pull up full power and there's a steel drainlid in the road the wheel will spin on that and find grip again after it...sand in corners is the biggest fear...

I know the feeling. 10,000 RPM on the tachometer with a bike near you who thinks you are on the limit and then opening up to 14,500 RPM. I did this often enough on my NC30 in 1st and 2nd gear (100km/h @ 14,500RPM in first gear). Obviously that was a lot slower than your exercise but I could do it within city limits and had lots of fun.

Is the fun really so much more if the speed is a lot higher? Because obviously the risk is much higher at 200km or even more.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know the feeling. 10,000 RPM on the tachometer with a bike near you who thinks you are on the limit and then opening up to 14,500 RPM. I did this often enough on my NC30 in 1st and 2nd gear (100km/h @ 14,500RPM in first gear). Obviously that was a lot slower than your exercise but I could do it within city limits and had lots of fun.

Is the fun really so much more if the speed is a lot higher? Because obviously the risk is much higher at 200km or even more.

Well for it's just more fun to have more hp.....on a smaller bike you takeover 1-2 cars at a time, on a big bike you take 8-12 cars at a time....it just goes very fast...for me that's fun to do because i don't like to drive behind a car.

Also i think the bigger bikes are safer, they're more heavy and brake better, can use the frontbrake more and nothing starts shaking or rattling even above 200 not.

But for Thailand a 500cc bike is also enough i think...fast driving is better in Europe but not with all those camera's everywhere. It's all about the fun and feeling free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moose7117 said:

some times it boils down to ergonomics and wind resistance.

the blue bike is a ZX9R "900cc" and the black one is a ZX12R "1200cc". 

i tend to make the 900 look like a dinky. 

riding a cb 500 at my size and then putting a passenger and baggage on it would be bloody ridiculous. 

and big sized bikes come with big horses.

A person 190 person on a supersports bike imho always looks ridiculous, even if it's a 1000cc bike ?

But for example a Benelli trk 502 is quite a big bike for 500cc and way bigger than a Honda CB 500

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A person 190 person on a supersports bike imho always looks ridiculous, even if it's a 1000cc bike ?

But for example a Benelli trk 502 is quite a big bike for 500cc and way bigger than a Honda CB 500

go to a bike shop and look at the size of these three bikes, a zx6r, zx10 and a zx14

or a yamaha R6,R1 and then a HAYABUSA.

you will see both the sports bikes are nearly the same size however both the ZX14 AND THE hayabusa are a lot larger and offer a lot of room for the rider to sit in the are classified as hyper sports .

neither myself or my little brother, he much bigger than me, can ride a sports bike for long, we just don't fit.

QED - Power is good !

2 hours ago, Thian said:

...fast driving is better in Europe but not with all those camera's everywhere. It's all about the fun and feeling free.

You just have to drive fast enough and without license plate...

I am sure most of us have seen this video a couple of times. But it's still amazing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure most of us have seen this video a couple of times. But it's still amazing.

The poor little thing is making a lot of noise.

If I had my Diavel revving to the extreme you'd see a completely different video.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The police in Europe if of another league. They have superfast cars, helicopters, bmw-motobikes, computernetworks, roadcamera's.....drive without a licenseplate and within an hour you're stopped. 

Drive 50km/hr too fast and you lost your driverslicense.

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

The police in Europe if of another league. They have superfast cars, helicopters, bmw-motobikes, computernetworks, roadcamera's.....drive without a licenseplate and within an hour you're stopped. 

Drive 50km/hr too fast and you lost your driverslicense.

The last time I checked Uppsala and Sweden were part of Europe...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Would never have a bike like that in Thailand because it's too dangerous there on the roads...

Your choice for sure but I have to say I do not understand people saying that, I luv riding here and my m/c jacket has holes and I can feel cold at times.

57 minutes ago, VYCM said:

The poor little thing is making a lot of noise.

If I had my Diavel revving to the extreme you'd see a completely different video.

Please make that video and try to beat Ghostrider's record. And I mean his average speed record of 273km/h on that road - not the noise record.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Please make that video and try to beat Ghostrider's record. And I mean his average speed record of 273km/h on that road - not the noise record.

Nope,

I just CRUISE - Lovin it.

I'm a show-off, 162HP, 0 to 100 km/hr in 2.6 seconds - it's nice to have the power.

Now I have an xDiaavel S, I set the cruise control to 80km/hr, if I'm on the track I might give the LAUNCH CONTROL a hit.

On the roads I just cruise around and watch the fools zoom around me, I get a kick out of it.

Hate watching those foolish videos, no respect to other road users. imagine the fright, the drivers not knowing there is an idiot about to over/undertake.

• Confused 2