Elon Musk 'to be sued in Thailand, London and US’ by cave diver he called 'paedo' in baseless remark

webfact

14 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I believe many people don’t care about Vern and anyone who does care about him knows the comments were untrue and just a stupid mistake all humans make. Going for the money and fame makes think Vern is nothing more than a gold digger. Hope he gets nothing. 

And still very few really get it.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I believe many people don’t care about Vern ...

... which maybe includes Musk's oft mentioned 22 million Twitter followers who are likely mostly electric car and rocket buffs and not at all interested in the  goings-on of some grandfather-type in Thailand.

If he is going to sue, why he don't just go ahead and do it? So far all I hear is a lot of talk.

I can't believe that Musk , after apologizing to Vern  would have gone back and called him a child rapist unless he had some new information. 

Musk has started an automobile company in today's business environment from scratch, he has created a world class automobile, A vehicle that is admired. A charging infrastructure. Has turned the industry on its ear, and has forced the electric car revolution.  I don't think someone  accomplishes all that by being an Idiot.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, sambum said:

I rec(k)on that Musk is just doing what a lot of people do - assume that if people visit Thailand, then they MUST be here for the cheap sex, and they MUST have been with young girls. But Musk has taken it to another level by baselessly accusing someone in public of being a paedophile, having a child bride, and inferring that the same person is a child rapist. For that, I hope he gets parted from a few of his billions, unless of course he has proof of what he accuses Unsworth of being? :cheesy:.

Elon's claims is a school example of stigmatization - even you really are quite different than the people you are seen with and/or the environment you live in you will always be labelled based on those people or that environment and not the other way around....

2 hours ago, LingLek said:

Keep in mind that he has a family (not in Thailand) who have had to put up with the same ugly smears. He probably wishes to prove himself libelled to protect theirs as much as his own reputation. Musk also suggested he was a 'child-rapist,' which is surely something even you would wish to have proven libellous were the same claim directed at you. You call him a 'looser' (you probably meant 'loser') 'hiding away in Chiang Rai' (from what, exactly?) with opinions about himself and his role in the cave rescue you can't possibly be party to. And why assume he's doing it for the money? Without any substantiation from you, I can only conclude that you're transferring much of your own ignoble thoughts and wishes on to him.

Good post! I certainly wouldn't like to be called a pedo, child rapist, and accused of having a 12 year old child bride if the allegations were completely untrue. It seems to me that Musk has just "spat the dummy out" because he was told that his "mini sub" wouldn't work, and he may be a successful businessman, but that doesn't mean that he and his billions can publicly libel someone without some kind of reaction.  

12 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Elon's claims is a school example of stigmatization - even you really are quite different than the people you are seen with and/or the environment you live in you will always be labelled based on those people or that environment and not the other way around....

???? ?

Edited by sambum

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I can't believe that Musk , after apologizing to Vern 

But then based upon the letter Unsworth's US attorney sent to him, Musk realized that Unsworth was going to go ahead and sue him anyway, apology or not.

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

But then based upon the letter Unsworth's US attorney sent to him, Musk realized that Unsworth was going to go ahead and sue him anyway, apology or not.

I am not saying that I know. sometimes people do crazy things, but....

So he decided to dig a deeper hole for himself? what is the benefit in that?I am sure Musk gets a lot of letter from attorneys.

I know past performance is not a guarantee of future results but sometimes it is a  pretty good indication, and IMO Musk's past performance is not one of an idiot. 

Any way let's see if Unsworth files a law sue and what will come up if he does.

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not saying that I know. sometimes people do crazy things, but....

So he decided to dig a deeper hole for himself?

Could be that Musk was bluffing , pretending that he knows something .

Telling Vern to sue him , because "it will all come out in Court"

I have a feeling that Musk is bluffing and that he has no information .

Musk has been telling reporters to go and investigate  Vern (hoping they will find something)

Musk has also been feeding the media fake news about Vern (Marrying  12 year old) and telling the media not to state that the info came from him

According to CNBC, Musk's attorney Lin Wood may file a civil complaint in a Los Angeles federal court next week. Then Musk's attorneys can file a motion to dismiss if they so choose. And that motion to dismiss might be strictly on procedural grounds.

Edited by JLCrab

32 minutes ago, sambum said:

Good post! I certainly wouldn't like to be called a pedo, child rapist, and accused of having a 12 year old child bride if the allegations were completely untrue. It seems to me that Musk has just "spat the dummy out" because he was told that his "mini sub" wouldn't work, and he may be a successful businessman, but that doesn't mean that he and his billions can publicly libel someone without some kind of reaction.  

No problem to follow your thoughts, but it seems to be missing the first part which also was the trigger part -  unfortunately this often happen when a strong part hit a weaker part - we chose to look at the end and judge from that point instead of look at were it all began.

Elon in this setting is seen as the strongest part as he is well educated, rich and famous so we normally wouldn't expect his reaction. Vernon is a for the most of us a nobody who happened to be in a way involved by giving some cave diver names to the authorities.

Then from out of now where Vernon just did as he probably was raised in the east end back in the UK where the language is well known the be everything else than polite so he basically didnt see how hard his statement "he can stick his submarine up where it hurts" actually hit Elon and his hard working team. 

This statement is actually horrible as it contains a lot of offenses, not only for Elon personally or what he stands for, but also for all his hard working team-members who have worked night and day where both people and other projects has been sacrificed due to be able to help and all that completely free of charge and what you get in return is Vernon's statement direct in the face through all the media following the rescue mission...

Its allowed to look at an issue from both sides especially when we know it always has....

Edited by ttrd

On 9/6/2018 at 3:19 PM, racket said:

Is Vern going to court just to prove he's not a pedo? It's not illegal to call somebody a pedo, but since there's a dispute he needs to prove he isn't. Elon could easily just funnel some cash to his thai girlfriend and endup turning against him. He could also slide off future investments in thailand, and will thai authorities be happy with that? Could Vern perhaps risk being blacklisted? 

I'm getting sick of this Vern guy who's nothing more but a looser hiding in Chiang Rai thinking he was the only hero in the cave rescue operation. I first thought he was reasonable and did a great job, but I'm done supporting the guy. Now we all understand he's doing everything he can to squeeze some cash out of Musk. 

I try to figure out if you really are one or just pretend to be one

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Could be that Musk was bluffing , pretending that he knows something .

Telling Vern to sue him , because "it will all come out in Court"

I have a feeling that Musk is bluffing and that he has no information .

Musk has been telling reporters to go and investigate  Vern (hoping they will find something)

Musk has also been feeding the media fake news about Vern (Marrying  12 year old) and telling the media not to state that the info came from him

First of all Musk does not need to have reporters investigate, I am sure he can afford to investigate himself. As far a bluff is concerned,  it should not concerned Unworthy .  He certainly knows if it is true or not, and if untrue should welcome the " bluff" as it will bolster his case.

Just now, sirineou said:

First of all Musk does not need to have reporters investigate, I am sure he can afford to investigate himself. As far a bluff is concerned,  it should not concerned Unworthy .  He certainly knows if it is true or not, and if untrue should welcome the " bluff" as it will bolster his case.

Musk could indeed afford his own reporters , but it would be better if the media found something out independently and reported it .

The media were asking about and came up with nothing , Musk then gave the media false information about Vern .

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

???? ?

I have been living in Thailand on and off for the last 15 years and its not a secret that people around the world have their own opinion about Thailand. I have never lived in Pattaya or another tourist spot - yes, I have made some short visits based on curiosity, but my permanent stay has been far from the tourist spots. It doesnt matter where you live in Thailand or for what purpose you actually chose to live there as it will always be people who have their very own opinion based on what Thailand has to offer and I am not thinking about Elephants or crocodiles nor water activities or food.... 

6 minutes ago, ttrd said:

No problem to follow your thoughts, but it seems to be missing the first part which also was the trigger part -  unfortunately this often happen when a strong part hit a weaker part - we chose to look at the end and judge from that point instead of look at were it all began.

Vernon may have started it with his comments, but I don't know anything about that sub, so i can not say if they were justified or not.

Musk, who is full of himself, then had his go at Vernon, but even his own supporters turned against him for that.

After Musk was forced to apologize Vernon stayed quiet, but Musk restarted the insults twice again without Vernon having said anything.

Musk is an imbecile.

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

Musk could indeed afford his own reporters , but it would be better if the media found something out independently and reported it .

The media were asking about and came up with nothing , Musk then gave the media false information about Vern .

I don't know, like everyone else I am speculating . It is quite possible  that Musk lost his mind or is having a nervous breakdown. 

I simply base my opinion on Musk's past performance.

I think he has something on Vern. I guess we will find out soon enough. 

But as I said, I don't know,  and I am willing to guess that you don't really know that "Musk gave false information" 

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Vernon may have started it with his comments, but I don't know anything about that sub, so i can not say if they were justified or not.

Musk, who is full of himself, then had his go at Vernon, but even his own supporters turned against him for that.

After Musk was forced to apologize Vernon stayed quiet, but Musk restarted the insults twice again without Vernon having said anything.

Musk is an imbecile.

Musk is not an imbecile - he is for sure an eccentric genius, he seem to have issues with occasional depressions and may as well be bi-polar which is much common for individuals like him as the history confirms. Those side effects from such disorders is not under his control and can be far more justified than Vernons upbringing in the east end of the UK were his umbillical cord seems to still be attached to his mum...

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

and I am willing to guess that you don't really know that "Musk gave false information" 

Musk told a media outlet that Vern married a 12 year old girl and he told the media outlet to keep his name "off the record" .

That info could turn out to be true, but its highly doubtful .

Just now, sanemax said:

Musk told a media outlet that Vern married a 12 year old girl and he told the media outlet to keep his name "off the record" .

That info could turn out to be true, but its highly doubtful .

I have to admite, it does sound bizarre , but then again TIT  

There’s enough lawyers in those countries that are willing to represent the guy on a no win, no fee basis. Done in the US and UK all the time and feel sure he will get a lawyer in Thailand to do the same. 

Musk has more serious matters to deal with after smoking marijuana (legally)

whilst on a radio program in the US. 

Shares in Tesla dropped 4.5% in minutes. 

If he isn’t careful, he may find his investors try to oust him. 

Personally, I think he’s losing the plot. 

7 minutes ago, khundon said:

There’s enough lawyers in those countries that are willing to represent the guy on a no win, no fee basis. Done in the US and UK all the time and feel sure he will get a lawyer in Thailand to do the same. 

Musk has more serious matters to deal with after smoking marijuana (legally)

whilst on a radio program in the US. 

Shares in Tesla dropped 4.5% in minutes. 

If he isn’t careful, he may find his investors try to oust him. 

Personally, I think he’s losing the plot. 

Well, the legal side of it may be a little different and if Elons last statements has been agreed "off record" then it means it should never have been published which again will fall down to a journalistic issue rather than his...

Elon Musk and the Meaning of ‘Off the Record’

The entrepreneur’s reaction to recent media coverage illustrates a common—and dangerous—misconception of reporting practices.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/09/elon-musk-buzzfeed-off-the-record-vernon-unsworth/569437/

I’m not sure ttrd. Musk may well have written at the start of his e-mail to the journalist that he was speaking “off the record” but my understanding of this journalistic rule, is that the journalist has to agree to it being off the record. Just stating something is “off the record”, is not enough, especially if you then go on to liable someone in the same e-mail. 

The journalist, IMHO was in the right to publish it. 

Musk isn’t stupid, he has faced the press hundreds of times and given many one on one interviews. Plus, his legal department would almost certainly have told him how the “off the record” rules work. 

Edited by khundon

2 hours ago, ttrd said:

Elon in this setting is seen as the strongest part as he is well educated, rich and famous so we normally wouldn't expect his reaction. Vernon is a for the most of us a nobody who happened to be in a way involved by giving some cave diver names to the authorities.

Then from out of now where Vernon just did as he probably was raised in the east end back in the UK where the language is well known the be everything else than polite so he basically didnt see how hard his statement "he can stick his submarine up where it hurts" actually hit Elon and his hard working team. 

This statement is actually horrible as it contains a lot of offenses, not only for Elon personally or what he stands for, but also for all his hard working team-members who have worked night and day where both people and other projects has been sacrificed due to be able to help and all that completely free of charge and what you get in return is Vernon's statement direct in the face through all the media following the rescue mission...

Its allowed to look at an issue from both sides especially when we know it always has....

Yes, by all means it is allowed to look at an issue from both sides which is exactly what is happening here, but "especially when we know it always has .....What?

"he basically didnt see how hard his statement "he can stick his submarine up where it hurts" actually hit Elon and his hard working team."

I am sure that "Elon and his hard working team" are quite capable of taking such comments on the chin - or should be! In another post we have someone

suggesting that Vern is still attached by his umbilical cord to his mum in East London  - who's the baby then - Vern for his comment about what turned out in that particular situation to be a useless piece of gadgetry, or Elon for his "pedo man" insults, which he then apologised for,  only to come out later with further unsubstantiated attacks inferring that Vern was a "child rapist" and "had a 12 year old bride"?

I am not denying that to be where he is, Elon must be a clever individual, and as such should be above such puerile retaliatory insults which he should surely realise is going to "rock the boat" and the resultant drop in the price of shares in his company is proof of that. 

An interesting point for us to ponder  - was Elon Musk actually invited to help in the rescue mission at the cave, in the same way as the experts in cave diving were, or did he and his hard working team just decide that his mini sub might just be the answer to the problem?   

Edited by sambum

Give me a break, suing someone for name calling. Just call him something back or go up to him and slap him or punch him in the face but dont sue the Guy. Childish and pathetic in my opinion. If i where Musk i Would arange for the Guy to have an unfortunate accident....maybe offer him one of My Tesla cars as a so called apologie and cut the brakes or something.

Just now, Voodoochile said:

Give me a break, suing someone for name calling. Just call him something back or go up to him and slap him or punch him in the face but dont sue the Guy. Childish and pathetic in my opinion.

Yes, dont do something "Childish" like taking legal action , act like an adult and call him names and maybe punch him as well...............................

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Yes, dont do something "Childish" like taking legal action , act like an adult and call him names and maybe punch him as well...............................

Quick learner, good on ya mate! 

But more seriously, légal action should be for serious matters, and for me, name calling just isnt one of them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochile said:

Quick learner, good on ya mate! 

But more seriously, légal action should be for serious matters, and for me, name calling just isnt one of them. 

Its not just mindless name calling though, is it .

Its a serious false allegation 

• Like 1