No Gecko

bankruatsteve

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Does it have a detectable lingering smell? Could be a viable alternative to moth-balls for those who don't want their entire home smelling of napthalene.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

The directions (according to my wife) say to spray a few days in a row and then follow up on a weekly basis.  The smell that lingers is actually quite pleasant but not sure how long.  She sprayed a lot and still has 1/2 bottle left. There is no visible stain or residue.

The problem I had with moth balls was getting them behind curtains, paintings, clocks, etc.  But even putting in cabinets it didn't take long for them to return.  Maybe a different strain here.  (?)

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

and if it actually works.

We first started spraying a week ago and haven't seen gecko scat or gecko since.  They still show up on the outside walls at night so maybe they moved to the attic space. (?)

• Like 1

I've seen that at HomePro as well as anti-rat and anti-dog pump sprays. I used the anti-dog stuff around wooden table and chairs legs on the patio furniture as my old dog started pissing closer to the house as his eyesight failed. Worked OK.

I also saw another anti-gecko product there yesterday. Looked like a dry powder and the labeling suggested Indonesia origins? I'll take a picture and post.

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

We first started spraying a week ago and haven't seen gecko scat or gecko since.  They still show up on the outside walls at night so maybe they moved to the attic space. (?)

Good thing if a natural ingredient  product does as it promises.      I gather from your post it's not lethal to the geckos and merely repulses them.

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Good thing if a natural ingredient  product does as it promises.      I gather from your post it's not lethal to the geckos and merely repulses them.

The product specs are in Thai, but my wife says it is non-toxic (for animals, kids, etc.).

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

The product specs are in Thai, but my wife says it is non-toxic (for animals, kids, etc.).

I sincerely wish you luck and hope for the best.    It'd  be disingenuous of  me to say I don't harbor some mistrust  regarding truth in advertising in SEA.

I’ve tried it and the moth balls neither is 100%. In the end we decided to live with it. They don’t seem to like the cat though I have found and in the rooms he is allowed in a significant decrease in lizard <deleted> has been noticed. They do eat the mozies and spiders though which is a plus 

A few years back I asked my bug spray man for some deterrent for birds which roosted above an awning I had as they crapped all over it. He smeared some sticky stuff over the top rail of the awning and declared the birds don't like this and wont roost here any more. He was quite right, no birds, but the downside was a whole mass of geckoes adhering themselves to the awning rail

• Haha 1

I dont mind them and they do good with other bugs etc I just dont want them entering electrical items and shorting things out! Those are the areas where we spray the perimeter and it keeps them away from those items.We have a Tokay (pictured above) in the roof space too !

Tokays are also on my sh_t list.  They live in a space no wider than the flat of the hand and are soooo annoying when they get horny.  And talk about scat - their's needs industrial cleaner to remove.  If they lay eggs, the eggs will scrape off with a bit of effort but the "glue" used requires surface destruction to remove.  The travelling pickups selling whatever will sometimes hawk little bags of tokay repellent.  Put the bag near the tokay hideout and it will move on.  They don't seem to work as well with their little cousins though.

We keep one of these around the house.  It disposes of two to three geckos a day!  Runs on kitty krunchies and, of course, geckos.  And unlike the geckos, this model poops in a box. 

images.jpeg.04d74698ef2bcfea3bd8099adaa5ee35.jpeg

Edited by connda

I've used it, can buy in HomePro or TOPS - it works to keep the little buggers out, but not much use with the ones already in the room.

I don't mind them in some parts of the house but not my office. So I use the spray around the windows to keep them out, and to clear up any already in, I put sticky pads on the wall just behind the curtains, a favourite hiding place.

I just cut down the roach house traps and use Blutack to stick them to the wall. They work fine to trap them.

GeckoTrap.jpg

• Sad 1

I saw some spray for sale at Tops but got to thinking about it would take to cover the entire ceiling, walls, curtains, cabinets, etc. etc, etc.. Anyway, not sure if it's effective or not but they do sell the stuff next to the rest of the pest control. 

I am very fond of them, but have so many. They all have their own small territory and some get brave enough to venture on the table when you are eating.

I had 2 eggs hatch which were laid behind my kitchen clock and of course those young'uns now have my kitchen as territory.

however I saw one race into my fridge two weeks ago and hid behind the light at the back. A few days ago I found it had died and had to retrieve it.

At least I know where the cheese slices were disappearing to.

• Like 1

Even with Geckos, there is too much of a good thing. Every nook and cranny we look in that doesn't get opened or used regularly, i.e. purses, shoes, cupboards, storage boxes etc., contain Gecko eggs. They have over run the house, inside and out. With all due respect, no amount of Geckos can reduce enough of the mosquito population. 

Edited by featography

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

We have been using it for a few years now and the wife swears by it.! We buy the 3 bottle deal for 550 delivered.?

I just persevered with the geckos as they kill the mosquitos Charlie, but now I may change my mind.