Is Thai bottled water safer than tap water

CanuckThai

Which Thai ministry tests and guarantees (certifies) bottled water sold throughout Thailand is safe (or safer than tap water)?

A recent article about AVA, found their supplier of water, was providing tainted product. 

Who tests here in Thailand, who certifies water purification/bottling facilities?  Bottled water is our only safe option (presumed), for this basic necessity. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ava-recalls-tainted-bottled-water-from-malaysia-bacteria-10697864

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually Bangkok tap water has met international drinking water standards for decades and they openly provide real time test results online.  So do not agree bottled water is the only safe option.  At the current costs of RO filtering even most suspect water can be safely used with home filter systems.

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Thanks.  I'm up north, and rely on a 3 filter+UV system to ensure safe drinking/potable water.  Many smaller communities and tourist destinations don't employ RO, or anything more than a "sticks and stones" filtration, with an untrained staff.  So bottled water is almost a necessity...

25 minutes ago, cleverman said:

In 15 years here and a few in Indo, I have never bought bottled water. For cooking and my  cuppers, boiled tap water. As for drinking water straight, don't touch the stuff. 

They don't recommend to drink at least 2 litres of water a day for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Bottled water tastes better - Is that so hard to figure out?

Not any safer,, natch, but you knew that already    :thumbsup:

Water is supposed to be tasteless. If your bottled water has taste to it,it's contaminated. Not hard to figure that out. 

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

"They" were proven wrong many years ago. I never drink water straight,a cuppa in the morning, milk on cereal and a few beers after 5. 71 and still going strong.

There are two schools of thought on the subject, but I prefer to flush my kidneys regularly with plain water as I have a history of kidney stones.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cleverman said:

In 15 years here and a few in Indo, I have never bought bottled water. For cooking and my  cuppers, boiled tap water. As for drinking water straight, don't touch the stuff. 

Absolutely. My brother keeps fish, and I've seen what they do in it!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The water maybe safe to drink while it is in the Water plant,once

it starts to go through the pipes to your house,pipes that may

have cracks,other damage,letting contaminated water to enter

the system, I know of one Moo bhan,where the water pipes are

placed down in the drainage ditches,where overflow from septic

tanks also flows!!.

It's the same with bottled waters ,some supplies are well treated

and are safe,I suspect there are others who just fill from the taps,

without any Ozone,or RO treatment.

regards worgeordie

I agree.  Also, with the flooding that occurs, and a significant number of households and businesses, in smaller towns, dumping (raw sewage and "grey water") direct into storm sewers/drains, and drawing water to be processed into potable water, from the same ponds, it would be a crap shoot (no pun intended), trusting the water supplied.  

Believe me, I can see the water plant from my house, have walked the facility (ahem...), and chatted with the operator (yes...1).

43 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There are two schools of thought on the subject, but I prefer to flush my kidneys regularly with plain water as I have a history of kidney stones.

I cant stand water but have the same issue. I have never had the squingers from BKK water AFTER the first week or so of acclimation.... 

A filter water pitcher is nice though

Just now, giddyup said:

Drinking 2 litres of water can cause kidney stone,you should have realised that by now.

• Confused 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

The best and cheapest way to get water you can be confident with, is to buy water from the roadside machines. Then boil it. I've been doing that for 8 years with no problems.

Why not also put it under an ultra violet light and filter it as well. Mix in a bit of fluoride too. 

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually Bangkok tap water has met international drinking water standards for decades and they openly provide real time test results online.  So do not agree bottled water is the only safe option.  At the current costs of RO filtering even most suspect water can be safely used with home filter systems.

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Yes, yes...

And crack is also safe until you smoke it.

55 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Drinking 2 litres of water can cause kidney stone,you should have realised that by now.

Rubbish.

There are some exceptions. For instance, if you have a history of developing kidney stones, then it is important to drink plenty of water to prevent future pain, says Robyn Langham of St. Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. You also need to drink more water if you live in extreme weather conditions that can make you dehydrated quickly, she adds. “Otherwise, drinking more water is not going to help your kidneys work any better or any worse.”

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2